Current Renault

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I can't believe they need to sign anyone when they have Ms Jorda waiting in the wings for her chance to drive.

;)

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Given Renault have been in and out more times than the Hokey Cokey it wouldn't be my first choice for a long term F1 career.

I would imagine the bulk of jobs in F1 are in the short term but some are far more short term than others.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
The problem with Renault has been when they reach the top they don't appear to want to stay their forever. The challenge to reach the summit is better than being on top of the summit so it it seems to them

They have been short changed in that they were not getting any credit for Red Bull's success.

Getting their fingers burned with Flavio really bought them down but I have to say if they did not want to be in F1 for long term then they would not have bought Team Enstone

Lessons learned from last time will be to to make sure they appoint people they can trust to run the F1 team

Il_leone

Champion Elect
The way I think about it Ricciardo is the driver of the season and the one who would be in demand by all top teams so Red Bull will fight to keep him

Off course Max has just been promoted and the team management dare not to criticise him so he is not going either

This leaves Sainz in a limbo he' s shown enough qualities and with so many young drivers entering F1 he may need to move if Renault can convince him that they will be winners again

Ocon needs a few more races and I think then he's up to speed in F1

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
During FP1 this morning they were saying that Red Bull had made it clear that Sainz was under contract to them.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Bill Boddy Off course they would say that but if you are Carlos Sainz you have to say to yourself you can't wait another 3 years to be promoted to Red Bull and by then Max Verstappen might have established himself to be a regular race winner

He should follow what his idol Alonso did who saw that as tempting as the contract might have been joining Ferrari back in 2001 would have meant he would have to be Schumacher's understudy and not show his full ability and he rejected it and went to Renault with a view of a race seat and knowing full well the team was going to be competititve

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Interestingly this rumour came out from a German media source suggests that Renault will drop both current drivers and are not only after Sainz and Bottas but suddenly Hulkenberg is in the running but Perez is out of the running and rumoured going for the Haas drive and replacing Gutierrez

Renault hält Fahrermarkt auf: Franzosen wollen Hülkenberg, Bottas und Sainz

Force India are apparently behind their salary payments which is the trigger for Hulkenberg to look elsewhere

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Maybe everyone is reluctant to work at Renault because they don't pay well???

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Titch It was not Renault that did not pay well

It was Genii Capital who kept delaying staff salaries

I think Allinson needs a new challenge and I can only see Mclaren with Alonso again enticing

Interestingly a lack of leadership is being cited as one of the reasons he turned it down... so who is running Enstone at the moment then?

Last edited:

Galahad

Not a Moderator
Valued Member
When Renault repurchased the team they said they had a 9-year commitment and a budget of 800m euros; hence under 90m euros per season, assuming they spread it out. Which is no increase on the old budget at all, and less than everyone else is spending except Manor.

So that might be part of it, and might also be why they won't make any progress next season (prediction alert!)

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I think they will have to increase their budget or find some serious big sponsors to come up with the rest

The rumour seems to be Hulkenberg will join the team and probably paired with Ocon but it seems Palmer is doing his best to retain his seat , K Mag appears to be very dispirited with the team and is on his way out

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Read somewhere that Renault have built a brand new engine for next year. I'll see if I can find a link.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I would have thought so seeing that both Red Bull and Toro Rosso will be using the engines and they learnt their lessons last time to pay more attention towards the engine building

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Two relatively inexperienced drivers and a new management structure was likely to lead to a transitional year for Team Enstone. I think Hulkenberg's experience can only be to the benefit of the team and give them a focal point. Whether he is the driver to take them back to the top step of the podium is another matter.

Top Bottom