First Entered 1977
Races Entered 285
Race Wins 35
Pole Positions 51
Fastest Laps 31
Driver World Championships 2
Constructor World Championships 2

Team History

Renault first entered F1 as a constructor in 1977 at the British Grand Prix. At the height of the “garagiste” and Cosworth engines Renault entered a single car, driven by Jean-Pierre Jabouille, powered by a 1.5 litre turbo charged engine. Renault’s experiment with turbo charging probably changed F1 more than any other single event in the sport’s history.

Jabouille won Renault's first Grand Prix in 1979 in France and, up until their withdrawal as a constructor from the sport in 1985; Renault won 15 Grands Prix. They continued in F1 as an engine manufacturer until in 2002 they returned as a constructor having acquired the Benetton (formerly Toleman) team in 2000.

The “new” Renault Team

For 2002 Renault partnered Jarno Trulli and Jenson Button together and the team managed 4th place in the Constructors Championship. Button was dropped for 2003 in favour of the team’s test driver, Fernando Alonso. Alonso repaid the team’s faith by winning the Hungarian Grand Prix, the first win for a Renault car since 1983.

Jarno Trulli won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2004 but was replaced by Jacques Villeneuve before the end of the season as he and the team principal, Flavio Briatore, fell out amid claims of favouritism toward Alonso.

The Championship Years

Giancarlo Fisichella was brought in to replace Trulli for 2005 and duly won the first race in Australia. Alonso won the next 3 and a total of 7 in the season to win the Drivers World Championship and give Renault the Constructors’ Title they had long waited for; breaking Michael Schumacher 5 year run of driver's titles and and Ferrari's 6 year long strangle hold on the constructors title.

In 2006 the same pattern repeated, Fisichella took a single victory, Alonso 7 along with both the Drivers Championship and the Constructors Title.

Post Alonso (part 1)

Alonso’s departure to McLaren in 2007, replaced by rookie Heikki Kovalainen, left the team without a star driver to build around and the team struggled. Kovalainen outscored his more experienced team mate but a highest finish of 2nd in Japan was the best result on the track. The team finished 3rd in the Constructors Championship but as McLaren were disqualified from the championship in 2007 the result flatters to deceive.

After falling out with McLaren Alonso returned to Renault for 2008. Rebuilding around him, the car slowly improved and Alonso won races in Singapore and Japan. It later transpired that Alonso’s team mate in 2008, Nelson Piquet jnr, had deliberately crashed during the Singapore race with the collusion of team principal Briatore and Technical Director, Pat Symonds. This emerged in 2009 after Piquet was dropped by the team for Roman Grosjean resulting in Briatore and Symonds being banned from the sport and Renault being given a 2 years suspended ban.

2009 was a lean year for Renault. Alonso managed pole in Hungary but otherwise a single 3rd place in Singapore was the best placing the team could muster. The resulting bad publicity surrounding the race fixing allegations resulted in many of Renault’s major sponsors withdrawing finance from the team and put into question Renault’s continuing presence as an F1 team.

Post Alonso (part 2)

Alonso left for Ferrari in 2010 and Robert Kubica took his place, partnered by Russia’s first F1 driver Vitaly Petrov. At this time Renault sold a 75% share of the team to Luxembourg based venture capital company Genii. Renault continued to provide technical support and engines to the team. Kubica managed some podium places through the season whilst Petrov took some time to acclimatise to F1 with a best finish of 5th in Hungary, matching Renault’s finish in the Constructor’s Championship.

For 2011 Renault sold it’s remaining 25% share to Lotus cars resulting in a change of team name to Lotus Renault GP causing a legal battle with Team Lotus as to who had the rights to use the name Lotus in F1. Renault will also race under a British licence this season leaving F1 without a French team for the first time since 1975.

Renault planned to retain the same driver line up but Kubica crashed in a rally car prior to pre-season testing and has been replaced by former team mate Nick Heidfeld. They will use the R31 chassis.

Yeah but without his sponsorship money the team would have folded. I think it's very easy to start calling people muppets after the fact.

Mr Maldonado has been the best of a bad choice for the mid-pack for quite some time. He comes with enough finance so that they can run a driver off their choice and he comes with enough potential speed that he could get a team results (OK no one managed to harness that). Him being there kept the Williams team afloat (and allowed them to run Bottas) until better times came along and it's kept Enstone alive until someone could step in to save it financially as well as keeping Grosjean in the sport.

Do not blame the team owners for the Maldonado's of the world, blame those hogging the income and hiking the costs forcing the team owners to run the Maldonado's of the world.

It looks like K Mag got the drive

Magnussen Renault F1 deal 'done', claim sources

RasputinLives

It is easy to say that in hindsight but Genii Capital have been cutting the funding into the team year after year and these guys are suppose to be investment finance experts and have been royally shafting the whole team in lining their own pockets. So having Maldonado's money was a good way to mean they don;t have to put money in themselves.

Things never look promising if you're going to Bernie asking for the money for the constructor's position in advance already, engineers preparing to strike if they don't get paid and a falling out with your star driver

Having said both Sky and Autosport reviewed whether Pastor warrants his nickname "Crashtor" and both seem to say he is not always to blame

Pastor Maldonado's 2015 crashes: Was Crashtor always to blame?

F1 news: Analysis: Was Pastor Maldonado poised for an F1 breakthrough?

To be honest I think you just have an issue with Genii Capitol and you just want to bang the drum.

A company can't invest money it doesn't have and I didn't see you aggressively attacking Williams when he ran with them

Genii Capital almost shut down and destroyed team Enstone. As for Maldonado at Williams I believe had Hulkenberg been in the 2012 car he might have well gotten a few more podiums than a solitary win that Pastor delivered. I felt Bruno Senna was somewhat harshly treated even though he was not as fast as Pastor he did outscore him. Hulkenberg did not do much wrong to be dropped in 2011.

You got people turning up to work who are working to provide a mortgage and money for their family and some of them were not getting paid for a while even with Pastor's money ??!!

Kimi not getting paid I know he does not need the money but the principle reason they signed Kimi was to be able to run at the front and give him an incentive that every point you score you get $50,000 to do so . Then someone forgot to realise that it would cost at least $10m a year at least if he was actually battling the world championships smacks some serious financial miscalculation.

As an accountant myself I would be given a rollicking for not doing proper cash flow management and it certainly not impressed that Genii Capital ended up Renault , Pirelli, racing organisers and the HMRC chasing them for money

Last edited:
I think most drivers would have done better than Maldonado did in 2012, not just Hulkenberg although it is worth noting that Hulkenberg actually performed worse than Maldonado did against Barrichello.
It's only recently when he was pitted against Grosjean that it's become clear that Maldonado is actually really bad, before that he was kind of difficult to assess (although his terrible junior career was a big red flag).

A small part of me is disappointed that Maldonado won't have the opportunity to humiliate Palmer as I suspect he would, but really his departure from the sport is long overdue. I won't miss him. Not sure how I feel about Magnussen being given the drive ahead of Vandoorne or Vergne but he deserves a seat on merit so I can't really complain.

Incidentally Jolyon has got a confirmed race entry number so I am not sure if Pastor suddenly came up with the money whether Renault would do another U-turn on the drivers

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 15.38.45.png

Grizzly

So the team that has been a front runner and has ended up bankrupt almost. The common denominator in all this is it still run by Genii Capital during all that time. How do you expect to hire Kimi and not expect to pay his wages given that was the contract you offered him ? Imagine been offered a job saying you're going to get paid a million but they end up paying you a pound despite having a contract in place

Evading / delaying HMRC tax payment? How do you get in that position unless someone has been spending in the wrong places or conveniently tried to ignore it?

Last edited:
Your argument would be a sound one if it hadn't happened to half a dozen other F1 teams not run by Genii Capital in the last decade.

RasputinLives Yes it has happened to teams like HRT - who really should not have been in F1 and Caterham who really were sold down the road once Fernandes saw his fortunes would be better off elsewhere.

Sauber are probably in no better position.

The difference this is Team Enstone - a team with excellent engineers who have history of winning races and help deliver championships. How anyone can mess up so badly and rip the heart and soul out of the team is bloody disgraceful. There is some serious bad management that has bought the team down almost unfortunately for all his troubles Lopes will still be a minor shareholder

I'm not sure whether you simply have a huge grudge against Genii Capital or a huge (can I say biblical?) misunderstanding of everything to do with this team and F1 and finance and business and Renault and Gerard Lopez.

I won't shoot you down in flames, but please stop slinging mud in here. You are way, way off the mark. Everyone has their opinion and everyone gets things wrong, but your preaching bullshit to some fairly knowledgeable people.

If it is a genuine misunderstanding, go and research the teams recent history. 28 September 2008 would be a good point to dive in.

Very chuffed with this

F1 news: Esteban Ocon set to get Renault Formula 1 reserve role for 2016

Big fan of Ocon and he can only be a season or two off being fully ready for F1. You could argue that he is ready now after an F3 championship followed by a GP3 championship especially as he beat a certain Max Verstappen fairly convincingly along the way.

I'm sure Renault would love a French driver in the race seat and this guy certainly has potenital.

RE: Formula 3 you have to factor in that Ocon had prior car racing experience; 4 seasons of Formula Renault 2.0 over the course of 2 years and also an entry at Macau in an F3 car, whilst Verstappen had absolutely none and was fresh out of karting. His FR 2.0 seasons were also a little underwhelming.

Otherwise I agree, winning F3 and GP3 as a rookie in both cases is impressive.

As he went into Renault 2.0 as a 15 year old I think it was all far more about getting experience in cars than getting results at that stage.

I do see where you're coming from on him having more experience in cars than Verstappen but he is barely a year older than him and the reason he got the experience was because he chose to step up from karts earlier and take a hit results wise. He learned his craft in the thick of it which is where he most likely gained his race craft that Verstappen lacked.

I think they are peers and the F3 season is a fair comparison. Both just had different ways of approaching how to develop as a driver. Its far to say both are bloomin quick and I hope they both carry on developing the way they have and battle is rejoined at the top of the F1 pile. Then we'll see who is really quickest.

Back
Top Bottom