Random ponderings...

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
Angel then how are you accessing CTA?!?!?
I don't know, I can access maybe 4-5 sites, this being one of them. I can open my email (sometimes) and see the mail I have in my inbox (56 at the last count) but I can't actually open any emails which is as frustrating as all hell. I can look at the weather, twitter (sometimes but with no images or clips of film) the F1 game ironically oh and if I'm lucky Amazon, but I haven't tried to order anything. That appears to be it. Whether it gets here because I spend a lot of time here I don't know. I am just grateful I can get here, at least I've been able to alert some people that they have sent me emails and I can't respond :(

It's all very bizarre and :givemestrength:

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
we had a big problems last yr with our sky broadband. as the router would either slow or drop out completely & router goes red. numerous calls, they changed routers gave us a new one, then had 2 sky technicians then a BT technician. still problems they ended up having to go to main switchboard about 2 miles away. turns out that was old needing updating. problem sorted itsself

but that sound far worse & at least when we had the internet we could use it

Ours is an underground fault, (which is why it's such an issue to fix) it's sort of working a bit, obviously because I'm here, but it's a real pain. You can technically make calls on our phone but the chances of hearing people the other end is 50/50 as there is a horrible whooshing noise which wipes them out most of the time. Clearly it's like the wire is cracked/damaged and not completely broken or whatever, for now at least I guess it could go completely in the end in which case I'll disappear for a while.

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
I'M BACK!! :wave:

Sorry to shout. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to go online properly and do things like it's normal :D

It's been a long and sorry saga, at one point our ISP was telling us one thing, BT were telling us the opposite and it got a bit :givemestrength: But they have fixed it again. Did you miss me? What? No one? :disappointed:

Oh gethinceri mentioned me, so someone was thinking of me. Mind you he mentioned me in that Mornington Cresent game, I have no clue what that is about :embarrassed:

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
It's all about you Angel , the rules aren't difficult.
Welcome back to the 21st century.
I wouldn't want it to be all about me, so I'm glad it's not.

You know all these companies tell you to go paperless and do everything online and it's great when you can, but when you lose access to all these things it's suddenly really difficult. It also makes you realise how much you rely on the Internet.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
very much so, in the same way a lot of people I know have there phone as everything, I try to keep everything as offline as I can so I have a separate DAB radio (cant miss Chris Moyles) & Ipod for my music/podcast.

glad to have you back Angel

Andyoak

Race Winner
Totally agree.

In my line of work there is always the temptation of the fully integrated house: lights, entertainment, heating, security etc all controlled by the phone/iPad or Celestron unit.

Fine until the software is not supported; or the WiFi goes down.

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
I don't trust security by phone and so on. I saw those door locks that Everest are installing now that have no key, they're all connected to your phone. No thanks, I wouldn't trust them at all. I know locks can be picked and keys stolen etc. but I still prefer the locks with keys myself. It's like keyless cars, they can still be broken into, more easily in some cases.

Nor would I want to turn on appliances or whatever remotely, maybe I'm just too anxious but I couldn't trust that kind of thing, plus what happens when they go wrong? No I'm happy to be old fashioned thanks and do things manually. Saying that our tumble dryer likes to try and take control. Sometimes it stops working as it believes the items are dry. Well sometimes it gets it wrong and they're not fully dry, if you want something completely dry to wear again and it says it's dry but it has a damp patch on it, the damn thing refuses to dry it anymore! It drives me mad. I'll decide when it's dry thanks, not the machine.

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor

Dartman

Points Scorer
BT, EE and Plusnet are all BT companies, BT Open Reach own the transmission lines ( fibre and wire) they do their own thing and in effect answer to the ombudsman, to that end they can be extremely tardy in carrying out his recommendations. Unless you are with Virgin high speed fibre Open Reach controls your internet, Open Reach only deal with ISP providers not the public and even treat their own companies with similar disdain, they have very few trained expert electronics technicians, mostly they are retrained anyone some are more savvy than others, some learn with experience others can use a screwdriver:whistle:

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
Dartman We found that out the hard way.

Saying that BT emailed yesterday to apolgise for not fixing our phone fault within 2 working days and paid us compensation for the days beyond that which we were without service. I have to tell you that £8 a day doesn't even begin to cover the days my daughter lost out on working due to this issue, but it's better than nothing and obviously we're not going to say no thanks.

Dartman

Points Scorer
Angel
Unfortunately there is no right to the internet, though there is to a phone line service, you were paid for the loss or partial loss of the phone service, I believe there are moves afoot to bring the internet into the same position but hopefully with higher compensation as the internet is now considered as a form of employment tool, therefore loss of internet is an impedance to your employment either directly or indirectly, though you may have to be a business customer and its implications to claim should it become a law

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
Dartman EE couldn't make you be a business customer to get compensation, they don't have business packages that you can sign up to at present, though of course that may change if this ruling comes in. EE gave my daughter £40 credit on her account and the bloke she spoke to told her that was generous. Yeah because I bet he earns £40 in 8 working days too doesn't he?

She is now working her backside off to make up for what she lost. That is one of the downsides of being self employed and having to rely on a service like that to make a living. She knew that when she chose to work that way, it doesn't mean it's not frustrating as all hell when you get bad service though.

Dartman

Points Scorer
Angel, never checked on EE as an ISP, however both BT and Plusnet do have business customers, that leaves EE as the odd one out, EE was a mobile company and did have a Business department for mobile contracts but not for internet and still doesn't, Plusnet was solely an ISP but now sells mobile sims that access the EE network. BT used to do everything, sold off their Mobile network which turned into O2 then many years later bought EE, it now does everything but at arms length, so it must be tax advantages somewhere:whistle:

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
Dartman Well when we first got Internet access we signed up with Freeserve, they got taken over by Wanadoo, that then turned into Orange and finally EE took over and now BT own EE as you rightly say. The service has been good enough we've never bothered to change provider, it's just the company has changed owners over the time.

It's only when you have a problem that you ever really find out how good anyone is, be that shops, or service providers. I have to say our experience wasn't great but hopefully nothing like that will happen again. Fingers crossed ;)

Top Bottom