Random ponderings...

Speshal

World Champion
Valued Member
Does anyone else think 99% of the issue with Huawei phones is more to do with protectionism by Apple, Samsung and Google?
In a word, no, it's protectionism by Trump.

Full disclosure, I own a Google Nexus 6p phone, fully developed to work with all of Google's products, it was their flagship model before they released the Pixel phones.

I'll give you a second to guess who actually made the hardware....

Yup, Huawei.

Android is open source, there is **** all Google can do to actually stop it. I'm running Android Q beta on a 3 year old phone and it's awesome as I compiled my own kernel and sideloaded all the usual Google gumph.

vintly

Mostly bacon
Premium Contributor
Unlike us NW Europeans folk (I mean British) you understand ice hockey olegg - we do not. We think it is a curiosity of strange people who happen to be born either near ice, on ice or in ice for reasons we care not to examine. The fact that the UK has an ice hockey team st all is another matter entirely, and open to speciation.

olegg

Race Winner
Unlike us NW Europeans folk (I mean British) you understand ice hockey olegg - we do not. We think it is a curiosity of strange people who happen to be born either near ice, on ice or in ice for reasons we care not to examine. The fact that the UK has an ice hockey team st all is another matter entirely, and open to speciation.
International ice hockey Federation
Member information: Great Britain
Total Players: 8162
Men's World ranking: 22
Women's World ranking: 23
Indoor Rinks: 68
Achievements:
Gold - Europe 1910, World 1936, Olympic 1936
Silver - World 1937, 1938
Bronze - World 1935, Olympic 1924

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
In a word, no, it's protectionism by Trump.

Full disclosure, I own a Google Nexus 6p phone, fully developed to work with all of Google's products, it was their flagship model before they released the Pixel phones.

I'll give you a second to guess who actually made the hardware....

Yup, Huawei.

Android is open source, there is **** all Google can do to actually stop it. I'm running Android Q beta on a 3 year old phone and it's awesome as I compiled my own kernel and sideloaded all the usual Google gumph.
I understand about 75% of that post Spesh LOL

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
International ice hockey Federation
Member information: Great Britain
Total Players: 8162
Men's World ranking: 22
Women's World ranking: 23
Indoor Rinks: 68
Achievements:
Gold - Europe 1910, World 1936, Olympic 1936
Silver - World 1937, 1938
Bronze - World 1935, Olympic 1924
I think we must have been the only team playing in the 1930's LOL

Either that or a lot of ex-pat Americans and Canadians missed playing.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
ive been to quite a few games at Sheffield Steelers. its alright they get 5000/ 6000 on average, which is impressive when youve got 2 football clubs that take nearly 60,000 at home games but we are a minnow domestically in ice hockey so quite surprised to see us in the elite group. although i remember coming back from away game & auntie/uncle who are big into it. listening to radio Sheffield for some champions league game in Scandinavia. the Steelers pundit said "well if we can only lose by 6 or 7" ill be happy :o

but then they explained it was bit like real madrid playing Rotherham :D

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
The UKs best and greatest ice hockey team is of course my local team the Nottingham Panthers but they have never had much 'homegrown' talent in the squad.

olegg

Race Winner
I think we must have been the only team playing in the 1930's LOL
Either that or a lot of ex-pat Americans and Canadians missed playing.
Don't know, not watched :)

But, as said, can not throw out the words of the song.
I. e. the fact of gold medals of the Olympic games and the world Cup is recorded.

Last edited:

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
It's funny reading about sports GB we're once good at.

I want to see Olympic Tug of War come back. That would be great.

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Does anyone else think 99% of the issue with Huawei phones is more to do with protectionism by Apple, Samsung and Google?
No, my friend does security programing for a bank and says there software is a chaotic shambles to such an extent that it is clearly being done to mislead and cloak background process.

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
In my house we've been having Internet issues all week. It started with the connection dropping out here or there last weekend and it got progressively worse. By Monday it was driving us nuts by Tuesday the sites we could reach started to diminish. We can open our email accounts (sometimes) and see the inbox but we can't open any emails. We can open about 4-5 sites (this being one, obviously). We got on to our ISP and they tried to fix the fault, they couldn't. So they said try BT, see if it's a fault on your phone line. Oh yes said BT, it is a fault on your line, we'll get that fixed for you.

Yesterday we had three different BT engineers come and have a look. Can they fix it? No. The third one did that thing where he drew breath over his teeth, shook his head and said they would have to get someone else out to look at digging up the road. That can take 24-48 hours (no sign of them yet) if the guy who then comes out does decide the road will have to be dug up, he reports it and they have to get permission from the local council to dig up said road. That takes approx. a week, longer if it's a main road and they have to look at traffic management. So this is just going to go on and on isn't it?

In the meantime we can't get to our online grocery order, bank accounts, credit cards. paypal, all the important stuff. Add to that my daughter works from home online. She took last week off as a holiday and she hasn't been able to work this week. She's losing money hand over fist and isn't a happy bunny as you'd expect.

So yeah, if I disappear (I doubt you'd notice) but this is why.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
We had a problem where BT had to call in a contractor to dig a trench. They ran into quite a large boulder so packed up and went home without telling anyone - not even BT. It was finally fixed by a BT engineer who used his gumption.

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
That ^ or get BT to give you one of these which does the same thing without robbing all your phones data... Most new broadband contracts are offered with them now I believe. Saved us a few times!

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
My mobile phone came out of the ark, it doesn't go online so that's not a solution sadly. Our ISP EE did offer that but it was no use sadly :(
Grizzly, I can't even get the link to work, that's how good it is. :givemestrength: We don't have our internet with BT, we're with EE, but it runs through BT's phoneline. So EE say it's a BT problem and they can't help anymore, BT say they're doing what they can. At this point we're :bawl::bangfists::givemestrength:

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
we had a big problems last yr with our sky broadband. as the router would either slow or drop out completely & router goes red. numerous calls, they changed routers gave us a new one, then had 2 sky technicians then a BT technician. still problems they ended up having to go to main switchboard about 2 miles away. turns out that was old needing updating. problem sorted itsself

but that sound far worse & at least when we had the internet we could use it

Top Bottom