Current Racing Point F1

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Premium Contributor
I thought Russell has already been confirmed at Williams next season. I commented at the time that it could be one season too many and see him miss out on potential better seats as they appear.

Racing Point could buy out his contract but why would they if they could land Vettel and rake in the publicity and sponsorship.

Galahad

Not a Moderator
Valued Member
Ah yes, although I suppose Mercedes could smooth his passage if necessary. Stroll would at least provide a bit of a benchmark.

Not completely sure that Seb's sponsorship value exceeds his salary at this point, either.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
I would hope that Russel is being kept at Williams for another season so that Hammy can win his eighth title, retire, they can give Bottas the boot and bring in Russell and a n other. What German drivers are there in the lower formulas who would suit the team?

On Racing Point, the 2021season will be "shit or bust" for Vettel. If he doesn't pack Stroll jnr up in a little box and send him back to his Dad then this will be Sebastian's last season I suspect. Quite how good the Racing Point/Aston Martin will be in 2021 remains to be seen.

Can we draw a parallel between SV and Nelson Piquet in terms of how their careers have waxed and waned?

cider_and_toast

Staff Member
Premium Contributor
Can we draw a parallel between SV and Nelson Piquet in terms of how their careers have waxed and waned?
Piquet landed a seemingly good move replacing Senna at Lotus in 88 but the type 100 was a very flawed car and the type 101 with the Judd engine was an absolute shit heap. Piquet did have an Indian summer with Benetton though.

I would say SV would be more like Fittipaldi or Villeneuve with huge success early on followed by a mostly self engineered decline.

Dartman

Podium Finisher
Fittipaldi was good, JV was average in a good car set up by Damon Hill, Williams went down hill ( no pun) as did JV, mainly due to his ego being larger than his capabilities.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
On the BBC commentary it was said that Racing Point has had it's best chances for this season as the are not doing any more updates. Maybe they will be doing some work over the winter break?

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
It turns out that Racing Point has been doing some develop work after all. As a result Lance Stroll had an improved car whilst Sergio Perez didn't. Wonder whether they will do that next season. :rolleyes:

cider_and_toast

Staff Member
Premium Contributor
Ted Kravitz was stirring a gigantic wooden spoon around the pot in his post race "note book" today.

He revealed that Toto was seen in the RP garage finding out what had happened to Lance Stroll and earlier in the weekend Stroll senior and Toto had a private meeting in the RP motor home.

Make of that what you will.

cider_and_toast

Staff Member
Premium Contributor
As he was describing the activities between Toto and Stroll Snr I expected Kravitz to end every sentence with "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more"

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Toto is a major shareholder in Aston Martin, not sure if that gives him any sway in F1 team.
Given he is a major shareholder it will give him influence over the teams' activities

An interesting rumour over the weekend was Ineos may want to buy into the Mercedes factory team so that would would switch Toto's focus to run Aston Martin.

It will be also interesting if the rumours were true when what will corporate Mercedes do in terms supplying parts and engines to its 3 teams

Dartman

Podium Finisher
Ineos is large enough to buy Mercedes racing including its British made engine supplier, the only thing German about Mercedes racing team is the name, money and team principal :whistle: :D

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Ineos is large enough to buy Mercedes racing including its British made engine supplier, the only thing German about Mercedes racing team is the name, money and team principal :whistle: :D
I think its Team Brackley that will be bought so Toto will focus his efforts on Aston Martin

It will be interesting if all Mercedes powered teams then get the same parts or will Aston Martin be the factory Mercedes team

cider_and_toast

Staff Member
Premium Contributor
So your suggesting that Mercedes no longer becomes the works Mercedes team if the team principal leaves and joins Aston Martin even though the only connection to Mercedes at AM would be their former principal?

That doesn't make much sense.

Top Bottom