NASCAR Räikkönen to NASCAR

Damn good run from Raikkonen tonight. He had to endure a race-record 10 cautions, but he brought his Toyota home to finish 15th. Some of the best drivers out there had spins/slides, including race winner Kyle Busch.

Piquet was running in the Top 10 most of the race, but spun on the final lap and finished back in 21st.

I'll be eager to hear what Kimi has to say about the Truck Series.

SPEED announcer Kyle Petty said it was obvious why he was a World Champion with the car control he showed all night.

Sadly my internet decided to choke at about the half way stage, so I wasn't able to watch any footage after that - but what I saw was impressive, even to a complete NASCAR Truck Series newbie. As Keke says his car control was exemplary from all the practice I saw, and in the race he was very happy to jostle with the more experienced guys.

It was fun watching him race wheel-to-wheel again, I hope he continues with it. While I'd also like to see him do a bit better in the WRC, this whole NASCAR shibang could be a lot of fun to follow. :)

He said a bit disappointed after the race, well he was running 6th at one point, judging by that I wouldn't be too happy either.

But overall a good performance for his situation.

Some of you might have already seen this, but it appears Kimi didn't have the most enjoyable NASCAR debut, constantly complaining of a "hot-ass", "no drink", and a "terrible car". Here's the article;

http://jalopnik.com/5806620/the-ten...en-said-in-his-nascar-nationwide-series-debut

We might see Raikkonen again at the Sonoma road course, but I can't see Kimi becoming a regular on any of the NASCAR series.

From another link;

KIMI RAIKKONEN, WANNA SEE RUN MORE?
Fan Council members were asked that after seeing 2007 F1 champ Kimi Raikkonen compete in a Truck race and then a Naitonwide race in the last couple of weeks if they were interested in seeing him run more NASCAR races.
55.1 percent said No.
44.9 percent said Yes.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/06/bac...es-nascars-decisions-when-throw-cautions-more

If Montoya's exploits in NASCAR are anything to go by then I suspect he'll be very quick, but I doubt he'll be able to get the results.

I think Kimi just loves the fun side of any type of racing and the $'s are an added bonus.

I downloaded the radio broadcast on Tuesday on my iPod, it was a lot of fun to hear. Something we don't get sadly in F1, one of the many great opportunities scuppered by a certain Mr. E (and probably Ofcom too).

Back
Top Bottom