Queensferry Crossing, HMS Queen Elizabeth and all things Royal Navy

It IS going into the dry Dock Dartman Rosyth has the only one big enough.
It's being described as a refit. I guess it's snagging for defects and improvements based on experience from the sea trails.

2 year old warships don't have refits, they have modifications, if dry docking then serious modifications, I know Rosyth has a dry dock large enough the only other one in the UK is Plymouth but that has a Trident sub in it probably.

Did you know they paint boats with rollers on sticks in the same way you would paint your ceiling. You would think they would have something more hi-tech but apparently it's the most efficient way.

Oh, and with all the talk about plastic in the oceans, anti-fouling paints work by slowly falling off the boat as it sails about. Modern paints are basically paint on plastic so a much as plastic bottles are a huge problem large amounts of micro-plastics simply fall off the bottom of boats every day because they are designed to.

I don't know what the RN use but TBT was banned for non commercial vessels under 25m, they went to a copper polymer TBT has been gradually superseded for commercial vessels due to local regulation. Interestingly a case of a ship anti fouled in a Norwegian yard lost its complete coating due to no one noticing they had painted it on a coating of ice, it was a new product and lost any credence due to this episode as the ice coating explanation was not thought to ring quite true.

It appears to be more about ignoring official warnings leading up to the disciplinary; rather than the offence itself.
However, it does seem to be incredibly badly handled / timed.

(But I'm not "services" - just handle performance and disciplinary where I work).

Ok can some of you Navy types explain if something else is going on here or if the MOD really are this anal?
Removed from command and disabled an aircraft carrier over extra miles on a Ford galaxy company car. WTF.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48375064

I've got no idea what's going on here. Most of my Navy mates think this a huge over reaction. The military take fraud hugely seriously and I know of lads who put in false travel claims and had a court martial and were thrown out before their feet could touch the floor. Most capital (navy phrase for 'big') ships come with a Captain's car which is usually for official functions etc. I wasn't aware in my time that the skipper wasn't allowed to use it for general stuff. I always thought it came with the train set.

I have heard on the grape vine that the skipper had been making a lot of noise about the lack of manpower in certain departments on QE and that he was a decent bloke. Most sailors are generally quick to point out of an officer is a dick and I've heard nothing about that in this case. The outpouring of support however has been unusually high.

Is there anything else going on? I can't say for certain but it seems a little odd.

Well QE has set off from Rosyth today without it's Captain due to this oddness.
Sea trials for a few days in the Forth before heading for Portsmouth again.

I think that the Commodore has pissed someone off. Someone with clout, or a jobs worth, who is now using his clout to enforce the letter of the law.
It’s overreaction gone mad. He paid for the petrol. He’s a good at his job.
I hope his second in command is a competent guy. OR is his second in command someone with connections?

PS : My hubby does know him, he, Cook Priest, spent his early years flying in the navy. To say we are gobsmacked is an understatement, especially hubby.

Last edited:
Apparently from what I've heard today, it wasn't so much the fact that he was using it but apparently he was letting his wife use it as well. There was also some issue regarding the insurance. His wife was driving it uninsured.

Stupid but if that's the case, he should have known better.

Back
Top Bottom