Queensferry Crossing, HMS Queen Elizabeth and all things Royal Navy

The bridge levels are indeed different. This is is because each section weights 750tonnes. So when you add this to one side but not the other it goes rather lopsided.

Here's an odd looking ship.....

USS-New-York.480.jpg

Two bridges, I wonder what that's about. It looks light years away from the ones hubby flew from. And what on earth are those ledge thingies on the side.

The two bridges mean that flight deck and flying ops can be ran separately from navigating the ship.

As for the ledges, the ships has side lifts and not centre line as in the old days. This means aircraft can be brought up from the hangers while flying is in progress.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot. The side lifts are a brilliant innovation. I remember being told ( after the event) about the lift being stuck, not quite up when they had aircraft flying. (Yes hubby was one). Unfortunately they were also non diversion. So it was very tense when it came time to recover the planes. They got it fixed, just in time, but it involved flying round and round the ship in case they had to ditch.
Scary stuff.
I was very relieved when he left the navy.
:)

Photos from very late last night. HMS Queen Elizabeth passed under the bridges about 11.45pm going 7 knots, which is a struggle to photograph in pitch darkness when she had next to no lights on. Hence the slight blur on the boat. Half second exposure with SLR on the tripod.

She went clear of all 3 bridges in around 7-8 minutes. So she was shifting.

I would guess well over a 1000 people even at that time of night turned out to watch her go. The traffic was chaos, total grid lock for 20 minutes after. Didn't get to my bed until 0040 then couldn't sleep as my head was buzzing :D

Amazing sight, such a big boat. Hugely impressive.
She cleared the bottom of the river with 500mm to spare and cleared the Forth (rail) Bridge with 1500mm to spare.

I will probably never she her again, she is off to live in Portsmouth. :(
Once in a life time. So glad I went.

DSC_2439.jpeg
DSC_2475.jpeg
DSC_2489.jpeg
DSC_2506 bright.jpeg
DSC_2511.jpeg
DSC_2533 sharp.jpeg
DSC_2539 sharp.jpeg
DSC_2596.jpeg
DSC_2630.jpeg

Back