Queensferry Crossing & HMS Queen Elizabeth

Dartman

Podium Finisher
Not Quite. the QE has been cleared for aircraft and has some, whether they are still embarked is another matter, historically UK carriers only carried aircraft when at sea and operational, they do not carry aircraft normally in UK ports. PoW is not commissioned and in theory is a merchant ship until accepted, after sea trials and accepted she ( weird, a ship, therefore a "she" but with a male name, perhaps gender bending is not that newLOL) will be able to take aircraft some will be shared between the QE and the RAF, Those F35's are a touch expensive, just as well the accident rate has reduced in the RAF and FAA, I spent 9 months on an operational carrier in the 60's we lost 5 fighter bombers 2 crew and one Wessex with 6 crew in that time

Last edited:

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
.... I spent 9 months on an operational carrier in the 60's we lost 5 fighter bombers 2 crew and one Wessex with 6 crew in that time
Whilst I was on RAF Gan I watched a twin-boomed aircraft from Ark Royal come down and then trundle down the runway, go across the road round the island and gently over the sand and into the oggin. I turned out that it had lost it's brakes. This then turned into a spat between the pilot (RAF on loan to the RN) and the air traffic controller.

Due to some work being carried out the voice recorders were out of commision; the pilot swore that he had asked if the net was up, the controller said that he had said that the trip wire was up. As a result he pilot did not activate his trip hook.

The controller was the same one who had talked down an aircraft a few days earlier and had then been congratulated by that pilot for "bringing us down by the scenic route".

Top Bottom