Grand Prix 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

For the first time since 1996 Formula One racing returns to Portugal. It maybe just nostalgia talking but I've always had fond memories of the Estoril circuit and seem to remember it producing some decent races. It was dropped from the calendar after 1996 due to an ongoing argument between the race organisers and the FIA regarding the poor standard of facilities at the track. Despite being pencilled in to return in 1997 and 1998 the work went undone and F1 never returned.

For me, the classic Portuguese Grand Prix will always bring this to mind:

Moving on to 2020 and we find ourselves at the Algarve International Circuit. Classed as an FIA grade one circuit from it's completion in 2008 the track has been used to host a variety of motorsports from Superbikes, Moto GP, the A1 GP series and the FIA GT series but this will be the first time that F1 cars have turned a wheel at the track.

Below is a Youtube video of a lap of the track in an Aston Martin Vantage. What stands out for me is the change of gradient. F1 has often sought out track layouts that have gradient changes and F1 fans have often longed for a race at the famous Laguna Seca raceway because of the corkscrew corner. I have to say this looks like the closest we'll see in F1 to that sort of track design. Given that the Vantage in the video features a higher seating position than an F1 drivers eye view and yet, many of the corners are blind due to the rise in the gradient and the sudden fall away, the blind entries will be even more difficult for F1 drivers to navigate. I expect a number of safety cars due to the nature of the circuit.

To add to the problems that the track layout may cause the drivers, the 10 day weather report for the region suggests that it may rain on the Friday and on race day.

What ever happens, I've not looked forward to an F1 race this much for a long, long time and my one takeaway from this Covid affected season is that new and interesting circuits need to make their way onto the calendar each year. Let's hope we are not left disappointed.

Why do we need to give him leeway? I can recall other angry drivers, but don't recall anything like this? Worst i can remember was Vettel calling Karthikeyan a cucumber. And he has not taken the opportunity to apologise after had event.

No leeway from me.

does he need to apologize in public, Stroll & Verstappen apologized to each other when they visited the stewards anyone swearing is unacceptable. he doesnt mean anything he saying at that point. & i love kimi but it can be double standards Kimi berates & belittles every engineer he has had on radio. when they radioing him advice. he goes viral with everyone laughing there heads off
"The drivers agreed in the hearing that the incident was the result of a misunderstanding between them and that with hindsight, both could have contributed to avoid the incident” – while Stroll added that he and Verstappen had “cleared the air” and it was “all good” between them after the stewards’ meeting.

& on the lando norris thing on Lewis "Controversy" thats a whole load of nonsense. we complain that we got a load of PR robots & you knows its bad when Kimi is most popular. then Lando Norris has an opinion. & he has to apologies, what a load of crap. because i would also like to see where he was lying.

He’s in a car which should win every race, basically
Yeah he is, he is in 1 of the most dominant cars that F1 has ever seen. up with F2004 & MP4/4

He has to beat one or two other drivers, that’s it. Fair play to him, he’s still doing the job he has to do
Max & Valtteri are his only rivals. everyone has said as much all season. but thats F1 fault not lewis's & if it was so easy. bottas would matching him instead 39 - 9 down

F1Brits_90 That was exactly my point. The press or social media not make a big fuss if it was Kimi or Eddie Irvine who said it

It's not like Bottas is moving over as ordered or contracted to do so Hamilton doing a much better job. I would say Vettel should have won at least 1 title in between so we would not be talking about Hamilton's achievements .

I dont see why he has to apologise for either comment

When Paul di Resta subbed in for Felipe Massa at Hungary a few years ago he incurred the "wrath" of Kimi Raikkonen who suggested he should stick to being a TV presenter rather than trying to be an F1 driver. Given how bad he is as a TV presenter that is REALLY insulting his abilities as a driver.

When Paul di Resta subbed in for Felipe Massa at Hungary a few years ago he incurred the "wrath" of Kimi Raikkonen who suggested he should stick to being a TV presenter rather than trying to be an F1 driver. Given how bad he is as a TV presenter that is REALLY insulting his abilities as a driver.
Given Di Resta had no time to do a practice run it was harsh for Kimi say that. It did not help he was doing TV job for Sky that weekend

Back
Top Bottom