Grand Prix 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

For the first time since 1996 Formula One racing returns to Portugal. It maybe just nostalgia talking but I've always had fond memories of the Estoril circuit and seem to remember it producing some decent races. It was dropped from the calendar after 1996 due to an ongoing argument between the race organisers and the FIA regarding the poor standard of facilities at the track. Despite being pencilled in to return in 1997 and 1998 the work went undone and F1 never returned.

For me, the classic Portuguese Grand Prix will always bring this to mind:

Moving on to 2020 and we find ourselves at the Algarve International Circuit. Classed as an FIA grade one circuit from it's completion in 2008 the track has been used to host a variety of motorsports from Superbikes, Moto GP, the A1 GP series and the FIA GT series but this will be the first time that F1 cars have turned a wheel at the track.

Below is a Youtube video of a lap of the track in an Aston Martin Vantage. What stands out for me is the change of gradient. F1 has often sought out track layouts that have gradient changes and F1 fans have often longed for a race at the famous Laguna Seca raceway because of the corkscrew corner. I have to say this looks like the closest we'll see in F1 to that sort of track design. Given that the Vantage in the video features a higher seating position than an F1 drivers eye view and yet, many of the corners are blind due to the rise in the gradient and the sudden fall away, the blind entries will be even more difficult for F1 drivers to navigate. I expect a number of safety cars due to the nature of the circuit.

To add to the problems that the track layout may cause the drivers, the 10 day weather report for the region suggests that it may rain on the Friday and on race day.

What ever happens, I've not looked forward to an F1 race this much for a long, long time and my one takeaway from this Covid affected season is that new and interesting circuits need to make their way onto the calendar each year. Let's hope we are not left disappointed.

To add to the problems that the track layout may cause the drivers, the 10 day weather report for the region suggests that it may rain on the Friday and on race day.
as we as know it wouldnt be F1 if rain wasnt predicted on race day LOL;)

this is a good thing about pandemic. they are considering wildcards & bit like WRC have few years ago & have "guest" races so we can have some of this historic/new races on the calendar

Seems like quite a long track. Maybe just as it was a Vantage and it was wazzing down with rain.

i dont think petrov, fully understands the movement. but it this did make me laugh LOL

"And what if one of the drivers confesses to being gay and will go out with a rainbow flag and urge everyone to become gay? There can be a lot of examples."

I'm afraid he has destroyed any chance that he could be considered impartial or objective in his decision making with such personal comments about a driver and should be asked to stand aside.

I'm afraid he has destroyed any chance that he could be considered impartial or objective in his decision making with such personal comments about a driver and should be asked to stand aside.
Agree, What a Clown. Sorry no offense to clowns!

Though the race problem exists throughout the world and it's not always black on white the BLM is a USA based organisation or started off that way, whether the UK is closer to the USA in its news i.e common language and therefore the actions across th pond always seem to travel to us, I think of other US campaign's that travel here but are small beer on the continent and elsewhere so Petrov may have a point.

I'm absolutely loving the idea of stands popping up around town centres from LGBTQ organisations:

"good morning, I wonder if I could talk to you for a moment? have you ever considered becoming gay? We are offering a 3 week trial package in any one of our L, G, B, T or Q options for a starter price of 10.99 a month"

Anyway, according to the weather forecast, there's still a reasonable chance of rain on Sunday.

ElAtOYpW0AAJv40

Back
Top Bottom