Perez move on Räikkönen at Monaco 2013

nexkoyotl

Test Driver
WELL AFTER THE MONACO GRAND PRIX, KIMI RAIKKONEN CALLED PEREZ AN 'IDIOT' AND THAT 'HE DESERVED A PUNCH IN THE FACE' I READ THAT IN THE NEWS, I WAS LOOKING FOR A THREAD ABOUT IT HERE AT THE FORUM, DIDNT FIND IT, THATS WHY I ASK THE EXPERTS HERE:
WHAT YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT PEREZ MOVE ON RAIKKONEN IN MONACO?? WHO'S FAULT? BECAUSE THEY WERE BLAMING EACH OTHER.

well watchin Perez's video onboard, i agree whit you guys, when Perez came out of the tunel, i can see Raikkonen to far away to make any type of move, Perez was doing a great race, whit great moves at same place but...he failed on this one.

The best analysis that I've seen of Perez's drive (can't remember who said it) is that he was putting people in the position to either get out of the way or crash all afternoon. Kimi decided enough was enough and didn't yield leading to the inevitable crash.

For me, the race was a total procession - a real yawn-fest. There was such a lack of overtaking opportunities that you had to try something crazy like this (or Sutil at Mirabeau) to get past. I can't blame Perez or Sutil for trying - what else were they supposed to do? Play follow my leader?!? It was billed as a "race"...

I don't blame Kimi for turning in on him either. He knew what he was doing from the moment he (half) closed the door. If he didn't know he was going to suffer damage and potentially lose points, he's a lot less sharp than he makes out.

I think that both of them were laying down markers for the future rather than fighting for points in this race. The comments since are another part of that "pecking order establishment process".

Or Schumacher I guess, you'll struggle to find people to put money on Perez having as much of an impact on F1 as those two though.

Not nowadays he can't sushifiesta because drivers are expected to be gentlemenly and respectful. The slightest hint of aggression and everybody is up in arms.

Not so sure about this incident - he saw an opportunity that had worked twice before - Kimi didn't take the same/expected line (probably because he'd received a warning as Perez had done for Sutil round the hairpin) and as Brundle repeatedly said, you have to commit early to an overtake in that corner and once you've committed there is no backing out.

He committed, it didn't work out. 50/50.

"Welcome...you join us here at the basecamp, as we wait expectantly for news from the final staging area as the climbers prepare for their final assault on the peak of Mount Molehill. The sherpas have packed away the picnic blanket, and we hear that all the members of the team are wearing their best shorts and windcheaters for what promises to be an effortless and utterly pointless exercise. Apparently they plan to plant a Red Rag on a stick at the summit. We'll bring you further reports just as soon as we can be bothered...or maybe we won't..."
:dunno:

Perez is just doing what McLaren want from him. Any attention being drawn away from their proverbial "dropping of the ball" for 2013 is very much welcomed in Woking.

im not a big fan of getting the calculator out and see how many points im getting and this and that. I read and article about Vettel talking about Mercedes, saying something like ' instead off two silver arrows they were like two silver buses' this was in last race in Monaco. but he didnt try a move or nothing! because the points!! not pure racing to me! but i gives the results!

The best analysis that I've seen of Perez's drive (can't remember who said it) is that he was putting people in the position to either get out of the way or crash all afternoon. Kimi decided enough was enough and didn't yield leading to the inevitable crash.

DC said it! He said it was the same thing as Schumi or Senna which have also been said!

Also, earlier
Perez is car 6 this year, Kimi is car 7. That's why they're beside each other at the autograph sessions. #awkwardsilence

What I find a bit strange are the claims that Raikkonen closed him down or shut the door on him?....
they were in the baking area when the collision occurred and Kimi was about to turn in TAKING HIS NORMAL RACING LINE which he was perfectly entitled to do since Perez front-wheels weren't even level with Kimi's rear.
Ever since I started following F1 the code of conduct is clea on one point, any driver attemption to overtake has to be at least roughly alongside his opponent before earning the right to the line into the following corner. Has that suddenly changed or something? Perez nearly had the whole length of his car behind the Lotus so Kimi's response that he was basically "crashed into from behind" sounds pretty straightforward to me.

Of course I know that concessions have to be made at Monaco because there isn't room either way and I know that once you're committed ito an attempt in Monaco there is no turning back but it just seems to me Perez totally miscalcalculated his attempt to begin with, began his move from much too far behind the Lotus and basically shouldn't have attempted it at all.

I don't think he took the normal racing line, I'm pretty sure he was taking a defensive line and closing the gap on Perez. I'm not saying he's to blame though, Perez could have backed out of it and was looking like having an accident all afternoon. Kimi was the first driver to decide he didn't want to play Perez's game.

I've attached a few pictures to try and show what I mean but it's difficult to take too much from them.

Attachments

• kimiperez.pdf
    822.5 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom