Non-news

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
Bill Boddy year without a summer, thats most english summers isnt it

ive seen that on Twitter, so many people just assuming that they are dating. even if the picture that seemed casual was obviously staged

Last edited:

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
The BBC also ran a story about a boy in the US who had his hair coloured in by his school. Front page on the BBC website, really important, really important!

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
It's part of a larger theme here in the US.

I'll let you guess what that is considering a black person was led down the street by a cop on a horse, with a rope.

What I can say is that if anyone did that to my kid I would beat the living shit out of them.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
And for those living, or surviving, in the US stories like this are important but by having it on the front page of the BBC website it suggests it is happened here in the UK and people react, or over react to it. Don't get me wrong, I know racism is still a problem here but articles like this aren't relevant to the issue here in the UK and suggest that it is worse than it is.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Following on from the story about the girl who took a yacht across the pond to attend a climate change event in New York, I found out that a crew of 5 were flown out to New York to return the Yacht back to the UK so at the very least, her PR Stunt has created 5 times more flights than if she had just flown over to the US in the first place.

Ironic.

LOL

vintly

Mostly bacon
Premium Contributor
Thanks for digging that out cider_and_toast, appreciated. On one hand you could probably argue that the boat trip is not as environmentally sound as it looks, on the other hand the notalotofpeopleknowthat blog is run by climate-change sceptic Paul Homewood, who is happily arguing it to further his, well, argument.

The boat trip isn't the issue though, it's just a sideshow.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Yeah, appreciate that but people who are raising the vitally important subject of the environment always manage to make a complete hash of it and often cause more harm than good to their messages.

Take the environment lot who occupied London and Bristol recently. They always target the wrong people. The bulk of the people who have their days ruined are ordinary working people just trying to go about their day. What the protesters should do is target government buildings and big corporations especially those known to pollute. Why do you think local authorities are content to let them close a road off for a few days and allow it to happen?

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
At the moment the main show is the President of Brazil, who is sanctioning the burning of the Amazon jungle. A huge source of oxygen, rare species of plants and animals and goodness knows what else.
For the first time ever I really feel the planet is going to stop working as our home, and turn into a hostile, barren lump of rock.

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
The boat trip isn't the issue though, it's just a sideshow.
Same in F1. The cars (20 doing 20 races) represent a tiny percentage (less than 1 I think I've heard before) of the emissions. Adding one race does far far more damage to it's footprint in transport and logistics alone than the practice, qualy and race. They used the environment as a reason (in part) for the reduction in wind tunnel hours. Now their replacement CFD systems use nearly as much power, pretending to huff and puff!

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
When you look at the numbers of spectators who must go to I don't know how many football matches there are each week F1, especially with the modern engines, is miniscule.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Motor sport used to be the second highest attended spectator sport after football. I don't know if that stat is still true.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
I guess it depends on how you take the stat. If you're looking at one Grand Prix Vs One game of something else then probably. If you're looking at how many people per year turn out to see the sport then I would think it's probably not even in top 5.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
I read a thing a while back that at its height in popularity in the 1930's, Speedway would get higher attendances than football.

Top Bottom