It's a bit hot

Angel

🧸 Smile, it might never happen.
Contributor
True RasputinLives maybe their railways were built differently to withstand the heat whereas aren't weren't. A lot of the problems yesterday do seem to have been with the trains more than the rails from what I was just reading. A speed restriction (which they put on) does help prevent buckling as I understand it.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
No aircon and high humidity = unpleasant. On top of that we keep getting thunderstorms and torrential rain. Tropical moorland springs to mind.

Speshal

World Champion
Valued Member
I pushed the Mrs in her wheelchair the 6 mile round trip to town in 34 degrees.

I did however have some frozen blocks from a cool bag in my rucksack and stopped at the pub for an ice cold pint!

Angel

Contributor
We've had thunder and some heavy rain this morning on and off this morning. The cooler air is welcome but sadly the sun is starting to break through again. I've seen enough of that recently thanks!

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
They seem to be fine in countries like Malaysia and India though.
The rail tracks frequently buckle here in the summer - there have been numerous derailments due to it.

Oh, and the concrete roads literally explode due to trapped water boiling.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
They seem to be fine in countries like Malaysia and India though.
As one who now works in the rail industry, I would imagine that most of the rail network in Malaysia and India is low speed (less than 100mph) stuff which is bolted and fishplated together. This type of construction has more expansion gaps to allow for the heat but also can only use rolling stock at lower speeds.

To increase average journey times / line speeds on our rail network we switched to continuous welded rail which uses much longer lengths of track without the bolts and fishplates. To prevent damage from changes of temperature, the rail is stressed in position to a imaginary operating temperature of between 21 and 27 degrees c. This builds in room for expansion and contraction. If it gets too hot however, it moves outside these paramaters and can buckle. This doesn't happen often. To give you an idea however, one of our patrol teams on Wednesday found part of the track on the WCML reading 52 degrees C in the evening. That's far outside it's normal operating range.

The biggest problem we've had though is with the over head wire which is normally tensioned with balance weights. If the weights haven't been set correctly and the wire expands so much that the weights touch the floor then the wire will sag and the train can casue a dewirement as it runs under the sagging part.

Hope that's useful info.

Angel

Contributor
The biggest problem we've had though is with the over head wire which is normally tensioned with balance weights. If the weights haven't been set correctly and the wire expands so much that the weights touch the floor then the wire will sag and the train can casue a dewirement as it runs under the sagging part.

Hope that's useful info.
Overhead wires are a pain in so many different weathers. I don't know why they went with them as opposed to the third electrified rail as some places have them. I am guessing they were cheaper and probably overall a safer option for when you need to cross the line or work on it etc. But so many things can seemingly bring them down and then you're snookered.

Heat is an issue, high winds, storms, frost, they all seem to affect them.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Angel Third Rail is 650v to 750v DC where as the overhead wire system is 26'000v AC. DC systems are good for short distances but on something like the west coast main line you would need a booster station every few miles.

Third rail can also be badly effected by flooding, snow and Ice.

For long distance, high speeds, over head wires are far better than third rail.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Diesel engines anyone? No sagging overheads or frozen third rails. Doesn't help with the rails but then we could go back to having trains which go Dee Dumm, Dee Dumm, Dee Dumm again.

Angel

Contributor
I miss the dee dumm, dee dumm, dee dumm. Diesel is too dirty though isn't it? I thought they were trying to bring in trains that don't need any external power source, sort of like electric cars with batteries and so on, but trains. I guess they're still a way off from being a viable option.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I think there’s a secret plan to go back to horse and carts and if you can’t afford that then just walk

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
The brief respite in the weather appears to be over (we had a couple of cooler weeks at the end of August and beginning of September).

It's currently 44C.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
Perhaps this month wasn't a good time after all to set a personal challenge of running at least 5K every day ... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom