It's a bit hot

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
No. Really. It's quite warm today. In fact my front room is so hot that two hobbits just came by to throw a ring in it.

So British heat wave which, as usually, we are entirely unprepared for. How are we all keeping cool?

Angel

🧸 Smile, it might never happen.
Contributor
Sounds counter productive but shut any windows and curtains that the sun is on in the afternoon. It really does help bring the temperature down. Drink plenty of water, preferably without anything in it. Ice cream helps and when it gets too bad, sit on the floor, heat rises!!

That's what I'm doing, we never had air con to start with and I can't wait for Saturday, 20C and rain, bring it on!!!!!!!

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
yeah struggling I have 1 of those who has blond hair with skin of a ginger, so of course I have a job that required I spend 30 hrs outside a week in this. I remember last year or year before when It was 35c. when I walked through automatic double doors it was very similar to that blast when you open the oven door

also according to my mum, I think I managed to get heat stroke while sleeping because woke up 6:30am mouth dry as normal in this heat. but with room spinning, headache & feeling ill. that took til midday to feel myself

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
It's been relatively cool here this year.

This is from May.
image.png

Last year it was at least 5C hotter than that.

The last few weeks have been a bit warm though, averaging 40C to 45C.

The high humidity doesn't help - it's like walking around in a sauna fully clothed.

Angel

Contributor
I think in this country and indeed across Europe air con is going to have to become standard in homes if this keeps on happening.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
But I bet most house have Aircon as standard right?
Pretty much.

We don't run ours during the day though, even though I work from home, so it does get a bit toasty.

On the whole, AC is used way too much over here - when we go to other houses, restaurants, shops, etc. it's sometimes uncomfortably cold, so much so that you have to dress as if it's one of the colder seasons when indoors.

And of course all of that AC contributes to warming, so the cycle is complete.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Just driven back from work and the car thermometer read 37 degrees outside.

I'm melting in the front room.

I'm popping out a bit later to buy cider.

All is well.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
i saying to a few people these temperatures give you a whole new respect for drivers in Singapore & formerly Malaysia. because they have got to be at the top of their game. wearing multiple layers of fireproof clothing for 2hrs in this heat or hotter. the mental concentration is something else

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
I'm sweating more than Fred West that time Ground Force turned up in Gloucester.

In other news, the rail network has fallen apart in the heat. They didn't have the same problems when they were using diesel engines did they?

Dartman

Points Scorer
We don't have aircon, MOD house, that's a luxury the government won't afford, you quite easily get used to 30deg it's the 14-18deg in the winter where the problem is, spend 4 months freezing ones nuts off. There is no central heating both electricity and gas is higher than the UK (gas is bottled) 50% of the houses are 1960's with open fires, however the rents are cheap to offset the heating costs, so we just wrap up warm in the winter and go to bed early, the summer is easy just dip in the pool when it gets too warm. (pools are not supplied but there is a good market in second hand above ground pools) even in the UK you can get a 3m x 1.4m round pool for under £300, no help to flat dwellers thoughLOL

Angel

Contributor
I'm sweating more than Fred West that time Ground Force turned up in Gloucester.

In other news, the rail network has fallen apart in the heat. They didn't have the same problems when they were using diesel engines did they?
The rails would still buckle in that kind of heat no matter what kind of trains you were running to be fair.

Dartman

Points Scorer
In hot countries there is no extremes of temperature so the rail length is reasonably static due to no large changes in thermal expansion, it would appear that if heavy concrete sleepers are used instead of wood in countries where there is a large temperature range there is less distortion but they are more expensive.

Top Bottom