Istanbul Park to disappear from the calendar next year

Damn shame.
It's been on the cards for a while though, after the news last year that Ecclestone was going to double the fee.

The real losers are going to be the fans and the drivers as Istanbul Park is one of the better (modern) circuits, in my opinion.

In 10 years time I expect most of F1 will be played out well to the east of Europe (yes I know Turkey isn't part of Europe but it's just across the water so is as near as damn it).

You do wonder if Bernie doubles the fee for other reasons, but in the times we have a 100% increase your going to say 'no chance', just as Bernie wants.

With Austin on the calendar next year and Russia in 2013 (14?) something had to go. Next I suppose are Germany and Belgium. Bulgaria want a race as well, perhaps they could swap with Hungary?

All the time Valencia coughs up the dough Bernie is looking for I think we are stuck with it.

Put the lie to all those Bernie apologists in the F1 circus who keep parroting the "oh, but Bernie's a racer at heart" cobblers.

a
or Valencia?

I believe that Valencia wants to end their contract, because of the low attendance number. Bernie on the other hand doesn't want to end the contract, that is running till 2013(?).
Hungary,Valencia,Singapore,Abu Dhabi and Catalunya can all go from my part.

It's sad to see that money digger wants more and more. Didn't they say that the the circuits have to pay less, because of the teams spending less money on things? And now that grey old bastard doubles the amount for hosting the GP.

It's sad to see that money digger wants more and more. Didn't they say that the the circuits have to pay less, because of the teams spending less money on things? And now that grey old bastard doubles the amount for hosting the GP.

The late lamented Tom Wheatcroft had some fairly firm opinions on Bernie Ecclestone, and they weren't very complimentary at all (this from a friend of his, mind!). Apparently Tom lost about 5 million quid on the 1993 Donington GP. John Coombs (also a friend of Bernie) referred to him as "very naughty" in an interview last year!

With Bernie's favourite part of the world in upheavel, you would think that the money-grubbing little git would try to curb his avarice for the time being. His habit of doubling licensing fees whenever a contract is up for renewal is bound to dissuade would-be venues from bidding. Austin is already having misgivings, as their initial fee is purported to be $26M. Can anyone imagine coughing up $50M in the future? The FIA need to step in and slap some constraints on Bernie and his boys. Todt has already indicated that he thinks the FIA should be getting a bigger slice of the money, so a wedge is already forming.

Problem is S_F, the FIA have no control over the commercial rights as FOM have a 100 year lease and the FIA were obliged by the EU to separate the organisation and commercial aspects of the sport. All this now lies with CVC who are unlikely to get rid of Bernie as he makes them oodles of money.

All of that is quite true, FB. However, as with all things legal, there are always ways to get around that. For instance, the FIA could get together with the teams and find out what they really want F1 to be about. The FIA could then begin to elevate another series to reflect that, while simultaneously devaluing the current F1 through rule changes (eg mandating 1 litre normally-aspirated engines in cars with a minimum weight of 1000kg). As long as it remains the" FIA Formula 1 world championship", they are not powerless. They just have to grow a big enough pair to take on BE and his bunch.

Very true. Todt is certainly a different person to Mosley who was very much in cahoots with Bernie, although JT was Bernie's preferred choice for president of the FIA. The other risk is, of course, if the FIA were to try and do such a thing Bernie would just say to the teams "I've got all the circuits bound up in contracts, and the TV companies, why don't we set up our own series if the FIA are going to play silly blinders. Oh, and you can have 70% of the revenue for being such nice peolpe". Also, doesn't Bernie's contract extend beyond F1 to all FIA sanctioned events?

Back
Top Bottom