I did Manliness

Incubus

Champion Elect
Not sure this is the right thread to discuss this whenever I got an inkling to try and perform either cosmetic or performance-enhancing adjustments (well right now I don't even own a bicycle :disappointed:) I always found information hard to come by when it comes to ensuring you keep on the right-side of road-legality. I can't think of anything specific right now but at the time a lot of it was... well not exactly clear-cut.

canis

Race Winner
Valued Member
Incubus it is not clear cut, I have done a lot of work modifying cars, 4x4s etc over the years and you have to consider everything on a case by case basis. Though most modifications you can do on a car these days are legal for the road as long as it will make it through an MOT after the change, it is more whether you can get insurance that becomes the problem right now.

I have one car that has gone from a 250ish bhp 3.2 V6 with an aircraft aluminium subframe with standard tyres, suspension and braking system on it. It is currently a twin scoler hybrid turbo, custom exhaust, uprated clutch, cams, gearbox software, remapped ECU, uprated brakes, and putting out around 720bhp and around 1000 ft/lbs torque. None of this work caused a problem with the MOT other than needing to replace the catalytic converter to keep the emmisions within legal limits. No legality issues and just about the only parts that are still original are the sub frame and body work panels. Getting insurance is a whole different matter and it does take some time to find anyone who would touch a car like that :(

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
I think it was last Thursday, I was driving my car down a fun country road fairly quick maybe doing 50mph around a left right corner when a BIG spider ran across the top of my dash board from the passenger side towards me.

Killed it. Didn't crash.
Me man.

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
My elderly brother counsels all country lane drivers to drive as if they are about to meet a broken down harvester round the next corner.

Restrained manliness? Or just a man fart?

Road of Bones

MTC Mole
Premium Contributor
Indeed - one of my relatives was killed on a country road when an Audi ploughed into their caravan while they were fixing a puncture.

canis

Race Winner
Valued Member
I hate to say it (being an owner of 2 Audis) but Audi drivers are beginning (if not already managed to) take the crown of idiot driver away from the BMW driving Rep. Maybe because most of those reps are now driving Audi made cars, maybe because Audi is seen as being a sports car even if it only has a 2 litre diesel engine in it.

I like Audi because they come up with a lot of cars that most mainstream manufacturers would dream of (I know, lets create a comfortable hatch back but stick a huge V8 engine in it, but then when the power isn't needed switch off one of the banks to reduce the fuel consumption and hence lower the road tax/sales tax bands on it). They are the only manufacturer that consistently provides smaller petrol engines with turbos attached as standard. Plus when you look at some of their higher range models the ability to change and adapt them to something supremely special is great. Their 2.5 Straight 5 turbo in the TTRS is possible with a limited budget to make faster than a lot of super cars that are out there in terms of 0-62 (the figure most people on the UK roads will use). And they also have a sense of fun about their cars, putting quatro onto a small sporty model car and giving it a rear wheel balance for the power makes things like the TT and the A3 a lot of fun to drive and also very easy not to crash ;)

And No Josh you can't, not even the wife gets to drive the TT these days, but she is slightly scared of it as it is really easy to get it to misbehave in amazingly fun ways LOL

GeoffP

Thank you and good night
Contributor
Just been grocery shopping - bought salad, humous, juice, petit parisienne.....

but did it on my new (to me) Triumph Thunderbird Storm with Tors shortened pipes, so may have edged back to manliness :yesss:

The Pits

Harumph. Again.
Valued Member
I am sorry, but there is no place in the world of men for that shopping list, even if you went to the shops in an F15

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
I tried to do manliness today by having a BBQ. Unfortunately it appears that I was disqualified by not having any burnt food at all. Drat and double drat.:disappointed:

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
I think my house was hit by lighting last night.

Standing at my living room window watching the storms, lighting getting closer and closer. Then a massive flash of white light accompanied by a very loud boom/crack. I never actually saw the bolt so I suspect it hit my ridge or chimney or something else very close to my house.

It has fried something, as my sky signal to the bedroom is no longer working. Need to do some investigating tonight to see if I can find the fault.

Hit by lighting and survived.

Me man.

Top Bottom