Happy summer break everyone.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Just when I think that I’ve recovered from the last time, some joker puts it back on the forum. Back into therapy for me..
:twisted:

Angel

🧸 Smile, it might never happen.
Contributor
Can he be chosen as a prime minister for Britain? After all, I think you are going to go through a few more over the next year or so.
Wash your mouth out!! If that happened I'd be looking to emigrate! :p Mind you, why don't you have him as your President? After all your current one is not exactly Mr Popular is he? :snigger:

Ruslan

Points Scorer
Wash your mouth out!! If that happened I'd be looking to emigrate! :p Mind you, why don't you have him as your President? After all your current one is not exactly Mr Popular is he? :snigger:
He remains popular with the 46% that voted him into office.

Ruslan

Points Scorer
Which means you may well get him again next year.
Well, it is really dependent on turn-out. 55.7% of the registered votes actually bothered to vote in 2016. This is fairly typical. We have not had turn-out for a presidential election above 60% since 1968. It was 49% in 1996.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I'm amazed the turnouts are that low.

The UK's lowest general election turnout since WW2 was in 2001 when just under 60 percent turned out. Since then its gone back up to the high 60's.

Ruslan

Points Scorer
I'm amazed the turnouts are that low.

The UK's lowest general election turnout since WW2 was in 2001 when just under 60 percent turned out. Since then its gone back up to the high 60's.
It is unusually low and it drives our elections. Turn-out rates vary by age and race. Old white people have much higher turn-out rates. Young voters, and black and latino voters tend to have lower rates. So, for example, in the off-year elections the turn-out rates are lower (off year meaning those elections that occur every two years that do not occur when there is a presidential election). The off-year elections are usually around 40%, which tends to favor the Republicans. In 2018 turnout was 50.3%, which is unusually high (it was 36.4% in 2014). The House of Representatives went Democratic as a result.

So, higher voter turn-out tends to favor the Democrats and lower voter turn-out tends to favor the Republicans. That is why there is a lot of discussion about voter registration/voter fraud with the two parties having very different views on the subject.

It appears that Trump's election strategy for 2020 is to keep his base energized and rely on them turning out to vote to carry him over. He does not appear to be interested in widening his base and nor could he with his current positions and policies.

Last edited:

Angel

🧸 Smile, it might never happen.
Contributor
Old white voters are more likely to vote here too. I don't think the youth care so much about politics, it only seems to matter as you get older.

I'm out at the pub tonight again. No telling what's going to appear later LOL
Wherever Greenlantern101 lives, batten down the hatches folks, it could be a big night! ;)

Top Bottom