1. If you can see this message then you are on the new server.

The site is now available via a secure URL: https://cliptheapex.com

Dismiss Notice

Poll GMT or BST?

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Angel, Mar 26, 2019.

?
  1. Stay on GMT

62.5%
  2. Stay on BST

37.5%
  1. Angel

Angel Happy to help. Contributor

Well the EU have probably started another fight now that no one will agree on. They've voted to abolish all this changing the clocks twice a year. Now apparently every country in the EU gets to decide if they want to leave the Summer time hour on, or remain on GMT all the time. I know we're supposedly leaving the EU but you can bet we'll follow suit on this.

EU Parliament votes to end clock changes between winter and summer time

2. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

From what I've read we are retaining the forward / backwards clock change.

3. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Well of course we are. Can you imagine anyone in the UK government agreeing on which way we should leave the clocks. GMT or BST. That would be at least a three year discussion, without any decision at the end of it.

4. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

As a parent of a two year old I say stay on GMT!

Angel likes this.
  5. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

I say stay on G&T.

6. Angel

Angel Happy to help. Contributor

Yes, I heard that too, but not until after I'd started the poll :whistle:

7. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

We need to retain the change as the UK goes quite a bit further north than most EU countries and keeping to one time would leave Scotland in the dark for most of the working day.

It's strange isn't it that the EU is looking to put speed limiters on cars to reduce accidents but would force the UK to stick to a time which would increase the number of days commuters spend travelling in the dark, increasing the chances of accidents.

8. gethinceri

Are there statistically more accidents after "lighting up time"?

9. FB

That's what I was led to believe. I will see if I can find some data.

10. FB

11. gethinceri

Well the only explanation in the page is this:
    "RoSPA has suggested that this would reduce the number of accidents over this period as a result of the lighter evenings. RoSPA have called for the 1968–71 trial to be repeated with modern evaluation methods."
    Which doesn't prove anything. So i demand that you retract your statement and that you go and stand in the corner for:
    1. Fabrication
    2. Crap justification

12. FB

I'll see your fabrication and crap justification and raise you a

"Analysis of accident data for the first two years of the experiment, published by HMSO in October 1970, indicated that while there had been an increase in casualties in the morning, there had been a substantially greater decrease in casualties in the evening, with a total of around 2,500 fewer people killed and seriously injured during the first two winters of the experiment,at a time when about 1,000 people a day were killed or injured on the roads. However, the period coincided with the introduction of drink-driving legislation; the estimates were later modified downwards in 1989."

So if Her Majesty's Staionary Office doesn't know about accident statistics who does? Although that was all year GMT +1.

Did you like the bit about Rees Mogg asking for Somerset Standard Time which is 15 minutes behind London?

13. gethinceri

Rees Mogg is a bell end.
    your 1970 justification is nonsense, there were power cuts all the time.

FB likes this.
  14. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

To be honest, I'm wondering how things would play out today? Cars are a lot safer. Headlights are now a lot brighter and more effective. Street lighting has also vastly improved.

I'm not sure it would make a dramatic difference from a road safety point of view with modern traffic management and vehicles. Let's not forget, it wasn't until about 1981 that seat belts became compulsory. If I remember correctly, it wasn't until about 1974 that Motorcyclists had to wear helmets by law (may be a bit out on that date?).

15. Jimbob

Jimbob Learner

From this article, How Daylight Saving Time Can Be Dangerous

While some dislike the seasonal shifts of Daylight Saving Time (DST) for the minor inconvenience to their sleep cycles and busy schedules, there’s a more serious side to the scheme: the loss of an hour of afternoon sunlight when it ends—as it does this weekend—may increase the likelihood of traffic accidents.

“Darkness kills and sunlight saves lives,” said University of Washington Law Professor Steve Calandrillo, who has studied the effectiveness of different DST policies. “The question is ‘when do you want sunlight?'”

For Calandrillo, who advocates for DST to be implemented throughout the year, the answer is simple: more people are active during the evening, including kids, and the additional sunlight that DST provides helps provide drivers with the visibility necessary to see pedestrians. “At 5 pm virtually everyone in society is awake,” he said. “There are far more people asleep at 7 in the morning than at 7 in the evening.”

So my vote is to stay on Summer Time, which, in my case, is Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice