Football All things Football

6 out of 10 venues i thought were decent. but the bottom were shocking choice espically with so many 30,000 seater to choose from. for me i wouldve had selhurst park for brentford. Leicester for rotherham, Bristol for leigh, Bolton, city training ground

Screenshot_20220721-142344_Samsung Internet.jpg

on the 1 hand i can see why they were reluctant & maybe didnt expect momentum that was gained. but also they really shouldve been more confident because if Britain do 1 thing well its sporting events. we always sell them out & always people disappointed they couldnt get tickets. so many people will go regardless if its in the local area

you only have to look at 2012, only once in olympic history had the morning sessions sold out that was London, & add that to the fact 2019 world cup quarter final & semi was getting 10m viewers

Either Ashton Gate or Home Park would have been ideal in the South West.

Molineux or the Hawthorns would have been perfect Midlands grounds.

Obviously you could have picked one of any of the three big North East Grounds.

By having that many matches that close together in the North West you further reduce attendances because people can pick from a number of games.

I have heard people say the selection process took place before a surge of interest in Women's football but that's hogwash because the Venue list was only announced in 2019 and the tournament was originally scheduled for 2021.

Either Ashton Gate or Home Park would have been ideal in the South West.

Molineux or the Hawthorns would have been perfect Midlands grounds.

Obviously you could have picked one of any of the three big North East Grounds.
this is the problem with a 16 team tournament in a country with depth of stadiums that we have because there is almost too much choice, you have 20+ stadiums in the mid range but only 8 slots + wembley & this is a the problem that going to happen in euro 2028. as there you have 31 stadiums competing for 10-12 spots + wembley

but i fully agree it shouldve been 1 stadium per county

seeing the swedes in person in them 1st 2 group games i knew they were good side . but i hadnt realised looking at the rankings they were best team in europe & 2nd in world. so this going to very tough game tonight. & i think winner comes from tonights semi final

That back heel for the third was class.

For the first 20 I thought we were going to struggle as we looked so ponderous going forward and then boom, we came alive

what a performance v 2nd best ranked team in world & clear the plans for sunday 4pm. loved the backheel. although the keeper had a nightmare. for them the last 2 goals.

this tweet is correct 😁

i know what you mean cider_and_toast they looked shaky them 1st 20-25mins couldve gone behind after 20seconds & if Sweden had taken their chances in the 1st 25 mins. wouldve been a very different game. but like Netherlands games they couldnt. but lionesses really grew in confidence. played great after taking the lead.

It was good to see Mead and Hemp playing on their correct sides this time. Inexplicably, against Spain they were playing on opposite sides resulting in Hemp, a left footer, having to check inside every time to try and cross the ball on her favourite peg. More often than not she failed to hold the ball up and lost possession or, if she did get a cross in, the Spanish had time to get back. Against Sweden though, playing on their favoured sides, they were pulling there defence all over the place.

You know my complaint about the venues? Did you hear Alex Scott explain that stadiums were asked to bid to take part in 2018 and many of the big clubs chose not to get involved.

So many football clubs are short-sighted misogynists aren't they!

Which makes me sad for my outfit. In 2018 we were doing quite well in the WSL. Had an England under 23 goalkeeper who made it in the WSL team of the season and had only 2 years before opened our newley refurbished ground. The mens team were riding high in the media having made it to the Semi's of the League cup, knocking Man Utd out in the quarters. You would have thought it would have been a no brainer.

But, here's an interesting statistic, given the stadiums in use for WSL football in 2018, the total capacity of every stadium combined was 67474. The capacity of Old Trafford alone is 75635. While its not acceptable, it's almost understandable why clubs would have rejected the offer to host a game.

You can bet it will be different next time we bid for something.

Last edited:
im surprised so many did reject it & explains that the poor stadium choice wasnt organisors fault. Because i remember 2015 world cup being huge & England getting to semi finals & its being cruelly denied late on by the Japanese

but makes me even prouder, that we said yes & i wonder if we were 1 of 1st "big" stadiums to say yes so we got a semi final

welcome back to the new season :rolleyes:

as 1st 45 go. baring in mind we are away to potential champions with best attack in the division. im was i quite pleased with that,

then we decided to go full binotto. as that
what on earth were 2 of players were thinking. i havent seen defending as abysmal as at utd since nosworthy days.. how does go past 2 utd players on halfway line & not 1 thought to kick it & 1 literally ran over the ball. its absolutely criminal >:(

20220801_213731.jpg

im with nigel pearson, sundays game v middlesboro the 1st half was truly dreadful, made worse by having andre marriner, after the 1st half where he disallowed a utd goal despite it coming off a opposition head & missed a obvious penalty. i was think how on earth is this guy 1 of our best refs in the country. & where he has for UEFA in Europa league, FA cup finals & play off finals. the guy blind as a bat

He is going to get in a world of hurt for this but he is 100% spot on. Bristol City get the fewest penalty decisions in our favour of any team in the top 10 biggest leagues in Europe. We average 91 goals between each penalty awarded.

It's getting rediculous now. Once again we have had yet another letter from the FA apologising for sub standard refereeing (Against Hull on the opening day of the season) which cost us the game. Its no use though because we'll never get those points back and they could make a huge difference at either end of the table.

Watch this from that match. It's an absolute joke.

that is horrendus, i watching & thinking he isnt going to give a penalty for that, its the most obvious dive you will see in football. but then he does, its laughable how poor that is ROFL

im usually against VAR, but as VAR has got more effective even if it started from incompetents & pedantry. Referee standards have fell of the the same cliff that ferrari stratgiests have, then you cant help but think they need babysitting, because your right them points are massive, as hull are 2nd when they should be 10th, bristol city are 14th when they should be 4th. & then sheff utd are 13th when we should be 5th

this is our terrible penalty decision, just clatters into us with no intention of the ball

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom