Football All things Football

I can't get my head around this one.

The timing as usual, makes no sense. Why wait a week since you last played to sack your manager and then only give whoever is going to step in just over 24 hours to talk to the team ahead of the next match?

It's clear that Burnley haven't clicked this season but then again, I bet the financial losses caused by Covid and the huge dampening of the transfer market hasn't helped their situation at all.

No team wants to go down but let's face it, with parachute payments and and relatively small squad they would have been certain favourites to come back up.

Ordinarily I'd be hoping they'd get relegated now but, the prospect of seeing Everton relegated would be too hilarious and therefore I hope Burnley do pull off their survival.

No team wants to go down but let's face it, with parachute payments and and relatively small squad they would have been certain favourites to come back up.

Ordinarily I'd be hoping they'd get relegated now but, the prospect of seeing Everton relegated would be too hilarious and therefore I hope Burnley do pull off their survival.
yeah i always say continuality is huge in championship, because just have to look at Blades & WBA we struggled alot as well. you have to look at the table since we went back to wilder under a different name we are 2nd in the league

im unsure on everton because their fixture list is horrendous & cant see them getting many points. but with burnley may struggle as well now.

the only positive from today was seeing Gunther steiner decided to pay us a visit
20220415_160316.jpg

3 wins 3 defeats since ive joined the forum in Sheffield United v Bristol city Match. after the stoppage time shambles of good friday. where i would have rather lost 1-0 than 2-1 in that manner. micheal masi is better under pressure than that lot as they cant hold on to draw or win to save their life. everytime pressure mounts in 90 mins we fall apart

we cant afford anything else but 3 points which isnt great as we havent won away since February 6th

Now we're completely safe for another season and have nothing to play for we will probably play brilliantly. We are shit though so who knows what will happen.

you played very well great on counter attack & caused us all of problems with pace,

so frustrating. we needed 3pts & in easter weekend that off the pitch couldnt have gone any better we gained 1pt on it, on the 1 hand it was a much better perfromance as we should be leading. but were blowing hot & cold. our biggest weakness that ive said that ever since restart in 2020 as we are the odd one out, feels like ever other team have 1 chance & score against us, it happens far too regularly for it to be bad luck. but then is it to be expected to not be able to hit a barn door when we gone through horrific luck with every senior striker injured. now down to 6th choice

but that has almost guaranteed that we wont have home advantage in play offs. which is yet more bad history to against us, as we have only done that once in 96/97. following defeats v sunderland, Yeovil, Swindon

my days football is a emotional rollercoaster & im not even in the play offs yet. i worry this is a bit too close to home with me at work when it went 2-1
happy premier league GIF by Liverpool FC

yeah them 4 mins where great 😄

but Sunderland will be very tough for them. but what worries me is they have home advantage. which is massive in any play off match

There are two shits and I give neither.

Would vaguely acknowledge their turnaround but not with that thug incharge.

Bristol City under 23s are through to the PDL final after beating Sheffield Utd in the play off semi final. We've gone one stage further after being knocked out at the same stage by Brum last year.

Anyone know any Sheff Utd fans?

;)

Bristol City under 23s are through to the PDL final after beating Sheffield Utd in the play off semi final. We've gone one stage further after being knocked out at the same stage by Brum last year.

Anyone know any Sheff Utd fans?

;)
thats a great result for them, as i hear great things about our youngsters, appartantly some of the best since our youth cup final appearance in 2010 (with Maguire the biggest success) as if you include, Seriki, Osula, Jebbison, Ndiaye & Lopata who didnt play i think 10 of that u23 squad have played for the 1st team at some point in the last 12 months

this was quite a good sum up on the sheff utd forum

I watched pretty much most of the game in the end.

I've seen these lads a few times on the streams and they've played some lovely stuff.

Not sure if the occasion got to some of them but it was a pretty dreadful showing where, save for a short period before the last 10, they never got going at all.

I won't give ratings but their aim is to be in men's football so call these musings if you will.

G - Amissah - didn't really do too much wrong. He's an imposing figure and comes back from a good learning spell at Spennymoor, where he saved a couple of pens. It wasn't the best camera angle for the goal but he'd just made a decent stop from a cross-shot before this with strong hands then the lad did a bit of a David Hopkins into the far corner, last minute. I also can't say they deserved it either.

RWB - Sadgev - I'll be honest this lad has only just stepped up to the U23s during the season and he's not bad. Decent touch, gets forward well, defends sensibly. He's behind a big queue but can see him progressing steadily. Probably a full season at U23 level rather than men's football quite yet. He's still young and qualifies for the U18s I think. Had a really good chance to win it on 80 mind but blazed over from an angle in the inside right spot.

RCB - Williams - For an 18 year old he's a really good sized unit. Tried his best to advance the ball from RCB, covered ground though didn't really cause any danger. Relatively strong in the 1 v 1 stuff.

CB - Gordon - comfortable on the ball though I felt played within himself a bit. Think he is one that goes out and plays men's football to bring him on physically. Difficult to know what level but somewhere he plays every week, be there conference or league two. No need to get carried away yet.

LCB - Frecklington - thought he was the best of the defence. Strong as an ox. Really big lad. Tried to bring the ball forward and join the attack. Seemed to have time on the ball. Promising.

LWB - Buyabi - a player we signed after a trial. Not sure it really clicked for him today. Decision making needs work. Often he checked inside when he should have got to the byline and sometimes dwelled on the ball when in key positions. Didn't really give the penetration that was needed.

CM - Peck - he's a good player, very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Couldn't really get going in terms of dictating the play as I've seen from him before. Had a free kick just over in the first half. Might only just be 18 now, so definitely one to keep an eye on though today was one of his more ineffectual performances. Found he was a bit too deep at times.

CM - Arblaster - another who is well ahead of their years at this level. Started the season captaining the U18s I believe. Ended up captaining the U23s. Struggled to get hold of the game. Like Peck, a bit more sloppy with the ball but always wanting it. Got involved in a bit of handbags with their player where both got booked but another to keep an eye out for, but not his day today in a pretty scrappy effort all round. Generally comfortable on the ball though and I can understand why they have had him training with the first team to show him good habits and encourage him.

CM - Brooks - rangy midfielder reminds me a little of Sammy Ameobi. I'm really not sure on him. Whilst Brunt and Neal have gone on to test themselves in the National League, he's stayed behind. Whether he's a bit younger and that's the plan next year I don't know. But I see him and I wonder if he's stagnating a bit. Doesn't dominate the midfield and whilst he does some good things, also walks into trouble and gives the ball away a bit. Not sure he's showing enough right now as ball player, ball carrier, goal scorer etc. Will be an important summer for his footballing career.

CF - Gaxha - looks a little like Sharp, short and stocky though I think he suffered from the formation a little as I believe he's a winger by trade. It was an anonymous and frustrating game for him and with so many other strikers at the level, he'll be doing well to continue his career path at United. Unless he's going on loan and growing a lot, physically and as a player, he's in a pretty congested pool with some for more intimidating athletes.

CF - Ayari - he has a few tricks here and there, but he is very green. Still needs to work on his strength and whilst he had more involvement than Gaxha, aside from one run in the second half, it was a game to forget for him. Has a few tricks and flicks in his locker but as a pairing with two small guys, it simply didn't gell at all. Men's football might help him become more tactically aware.

Subs:

CM - Broadbent - came on for Gaxha which I felt was an odd change as it gave United even less up front. Didn't really do much of note to make me sit up. Another, like Brooks at a crossroads as to where he goes next. It would be interesting to know what Roygbiv gets about him overall in terms of his season at Rochdale.

CF - Lankshear. This was an odd sub. He's one of the most potent finishers at the club yet he was held back until the 90th minute after they scored so had no chance to make an impact.

A few caveats I may add. If this were a first team game I'd probably be berating the coaching staff for not having given Lankshear more of a chance and for setting up with two small players up top. But there are those caveats. Osula and Jebbison would have made a difference, undoubtedly. Lopata would have added additional dominance especially from set plays and in terms of organization.

But this isn't a first team game. The aim is player development. Maybe this was one of the last chances for Gaxha to make an impression. So do you give the shirt to Lankshear who has already impressed enough or do you see if another lad can make a decision for you? Kacper could end up on loan in the football league next year. So would an U23 outing done him much good or would it have perhaps helped give more determination to Williams or Frecklington? Results are great and having won the northern section it may have been nice to have won the knockout bit, but these are kids lives and careers the club is caring for so there has to be some consideration there.

They've done well to get so far. Some decisions will be made on a number of the lads. They have been entertaining this season and I wish them well both those that remain and those that have to continue their dreams elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom