FIA FIA to restrict DRS use during F1 practice and qualifying next year

I don't believe it! :blink:

This is the first sign of sentient life on Planet FIA. :tumbleweed:

No... wait one. :thinking:
They haven't actually told the teams in time for it to influence next years car design and philosophy have they?
Normal service resumed.
FAIL :clip:

I'll re-post what I already did in the 2013 thread yesterday.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2013-season.4843/page-7#post-167616

Woohoo!

Charlie Whiting has confirmed that from 2013, DRS can only be used in the official DRS zone during practice and qualifying.

About bloody time!

Given the choice I'd consign it to the depths of hell.

However, as it would appear to be here to stay then usage during qualifying should match usage during the race.
What we have currently is a complete fudge.

I'm guessing usage in qualifying won't be dependent on being one second behind the car in front...

Hey-ho... here I go...
This is the wrong change.

It should be the other way around and be free to use anywhere during the race; just as it is in qualifying.

If it is deployed too early the car leaves the track and is therefore slower: a penalty has been applied. Good drivers will learn to use it so they don't get penalised and bad drivers will continue to mess up until they are dropped from F1.

I have not heard of cars that have hit each other in qualifying because of misuse of DRS... and the risks are greater in qualifying because there is greater speed differential between those on flying laps and those on in / out laps.

DRS is fine if the FIA had the courage to use it fully. While there are limits in its use it will never be acceptable.

Andyoak Andy, I think most people agree it is the abomination of there being different rules between quali and the race, so I'm good with your perspective. Personally I'd like DRS removed completely and have more exploring of KERS options, but that's just me. :thumbsup:

I'm kind of with you there Mezzer... I'm fine with DRS and KERS because I'm all for more things for the driver to contend with.

I'm with Galahad and others (probably you too, if I remember correctly) in advocating a staged reduction in fuel allowance and an increase in KERS dependence.

If we take it as read that F1 won't see a return to primarily mechanical grip then would it be a natural progression to increase the amount of driver operated aero?

At least then the drivers can be more like the 'pilots' (a term I hate) that people refer to.

Drivers used to be quite good at coping with clutch, brakes, accelerator, gear levers and the like... I'm sure they'd cope with a few extra buttons and dials and stuff... :)

Have you seen the steering wheel on an F1 car Andyoak? I'm astonished they have time to drive the car with all the little dials and buttons they have to twiddle and press.

It seems to have escaped the management's attention that the best races this season have not been the artificially DRS overtake infested borefests. In my humble opinion, this pandering to the lowest common denominator is dumbing down the sport just I feared it would.

What, Abu Dhabi? If it wasn't for DRS you could argue there would be nowhere near that many overtakes. Certainly DRS can be too easy, but it is useful as a temporary 'assist' until the fundamental overtaking problems are solved. But I fear that DRS will now be a permanent feature.

I'm not one to wish more work for Galahad but if he could just separate the DRS overtakes from the real racing overtakes that would be excellent, and factor into that the use of KERS as well would indeed make the stats much more realistic..:D

Okay all joking aside I think this move will actually help with the racing, because using DRS whenever during free practice and qualifying cannot be conducive to achieving the best race set possible can it?

It has been asked many, many times but there just isn't enough publicly available information to do so.

I agree it would be useful but without GPS data it's not possible and Mercedes weren't willing to help us out by providing access to some of their data from their study :(

I think DRS has improved the attitudes of most drivers to trying overtaking in bizarre places. It is also better to have "fake" overtaking than a result set in stone from lap 1 as we saw in Monaco.

Had it not been for the mayhem, Abu Dhabi would have fallen firmly into my personal borefest category. I am sure that there were some classy overtakes in there but the sheer multitude of Mickey Mouse passes has somehow swamped my memory of them and they have faded into the dim and distant past. That's just one of the reasons why I hate DRS. Another reason I hate it is the way its use will forever be used by some to taint the achievements of those whose victories may have hinged on a critical DRS overtake.

Having said all that, my biggest gripe is with the whole idea that the FIA and race control dictate when and where drivers can use it. As far as I'm concerned they should either unleash the drivers to use it at their own discretion or get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom