Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

its not beyond the realms he has had some decent drives & could with more expierence have a race win under his belt. like gasly has. i would say its highly unlikely as we have got alot of talent on that grid of the similar age but there are many drivers that have that 1 season where the stars align & they are in a car that can compete & driving very well. he has a decade on his side. Villenueve won & Frentzen, Irvine, Webber, Barrichello, Massa all came very close

its not beyond the realms he has had some decent drives & could with more expierence have a race win under his belt. like gasly has. i would say its highly unlikely as we have got alot of talent on that grid of the similar age but there are many drivers that have that 1 season where the stars align & they are in a car that can compete & driving very well. he has a decade on his side. Villenueve won & Frentzen, Irvine, Webber, Barrichello, Massa all came very close
And that right there is why I love Formula 1. It really makes you appreciate the sport that much more.

talking to someone about F1. its going to be fasinating if Perez does leave for 2024 or Sainz does leave for Audi . because of cost cap. none of the big names will leave because they have confidence in their team being successful now
Norris wont leave mclaren
doubt either Lewis or Russell would leave Mercedes
Leclerc not leaving Ferrari
Verstappen Not leaving Red Bull

i was trying to think who would take the 2nd red bull seat. there nobody coming through because of helmut impatience & not giving there best a academy driver liam lawson a chance. why would you replace Riccardio for Perez. based on the last 2 years. so you need to look outside of the red bull stable. im thinking that the only big name driver who could be available. is alonso

would alonso jump to red bull in 2024

F1Brits_90 - I don't think that Red Bull would want Alonso - he has a history of going to teams and making them unsuccessful - or at the very least, making thm try to rip themselves apart.

Red Bull will probably need to think about who sits in the second Red Bull, because whilst this season, the car/driver combination of Red Bull/Verstappen is immense, the other teams are bound to catch up, and you can't win championships with just one driver.

I don't think that Red Bull would want Alonso - he has a history of going to teams and making them unsuccessful - or at the very least, making them try to rip themselves apart.

Red Bull will probably need to think about who sits in the second Red Bull, because whilst this season, the car/driver combination of Red Bull/Verstappen is immense, the other teams are bound to catch up, and you can't win championships with just one driver.
Alonso & Verstappen would be explosive, & Horner probably doesn't want the stress, look at prost & senna did to ron dennis LOL

but who would be in that seat would sainz be tempted back a great driver, feels like he's abit disillusioned at ferrari. & was the only person really who got close to max at toro rosso

but im clutching at straws as nobody jumps out like they have when Rosberg, Kimi & Albon all left the big seats, & there was a pecking order, the grid wasnt as open as it is . because dont mean anything bad by it but its just harsh nature of sport but 2nd rate driver or someone might do a Hamilton like a liam lawson might luck & go straight into a top seat

but im clutching at straws as nobody jumps out like they have when Rosberg, Kimi & Albon all left the big seats, & there was a pecking order, the grid wasnt as open as it is . because dont mean anything bad by it but its just harsh nature of sport but 2nd rate driver or someone might do a Hamilton like a liam lawson might luck & go straight into a top seat

I don't think anyone could ever do what Hamilton did at McLaren again, because of a combination of factors:
  1. Hamilton had been testing for McLaren for several years before his debut - and testing was unlimited back then
  2. Alonso was new to the team, and so didn't have lots of built capital within the team, or experience with the car
  3. McLaren had to switch to new tyres in 2007, so the built up knowledge that Alonso had was negated.
Hamilton hit the ground running, which I don't think any rookies can manage in the same way.

Even though many of the rookies coming up to F1 are following a similar junior career, they tend to be far less prepared for the sport - even though they are much more likely to have sat in a simulator - simply because they can't complete the same amount of "real" F1 mileage before coming into the sport - and F1 is just such a big jump up from F2 - both in terms of length of races, speed of the cars, and the amount of technicality. Just look at the fact that Lance Stroll is the last rookie to stand on the podium, and Piastri had the best qualifying for a rookie for about 10 years.

Alonso to Red Bull? Ain't going to happen because

I) the money to pay him Red Bull dont want to for a season only
II) His legacy to get thrashed at Red Bull by Verstappen would be even greater than what Hamilton did in 2007
although you can say he is past his best
Iii) The baggage he brings in standing up to Marko will divide the team
Iv) Horner can't manage the situation

V) Verstappen does not want his legacy tarnished if Alonso does beat him

V) Verstappen does not want his legacy tarnished if Alonso does beat him
And if Verstappen is defeated by someone else, his legacy won't be tarnished? I don't think it would tarnish his legacy in any way. This is F1. There's always someone winning and someone losing.

And if Verstappen is defeated by someone else, his legacy won't be tarnished? I don't think it would tarnish his legacy in any way. This is F1. There's always someone winning and someone losing.
yeah it would only be tarnished if he was beaten badly, but i doubt that would happen either way because they are quite good & in narrow defeats of anything the reputations are enhanced

So far Verstappen has not beaten a truly world class teammate..to be even mentioned in the same breadth as Senna or Prost

yeah it would only be tarnished if he was beaten badly, but i doubt that would happen either way because they are quite good & in narrow defeats of anything the reputations are enhanced
I doubt Verstrappen will be let down by skill. Unless the car can fail, which happens sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom