EPIC MARATHON: MY THOUGHTS FROM THE 2011 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray, Was there a generl anti-Vettel attitude with the fans there? On the podium it sounded like he was getting jeers not cheers. Or maybe just too many Mclaren staff nearby?

tonyw151,

To be honest there were a lot of fans supporting a number of different factions: Lewis fans from England/Americas, McLaren fans, tons of passionate 'tifosi'/Ferrari supporters, lots of Schumacher lovers...and brigades of younger to middle aged Red Bull fans wearing Vettel hats/RBR gear. When Vettel was leading, there were genuine cheers for him...but when he half-spun and Button took the lead and victory, there was lots of cheering for Button too. Beneath the Podium (actually under and around the Lights at the Starting Gantry), there was cheering when Button and Webber lifted their trophies...but mild booing when Vettel lifted his. I had more of a feeling that the booing was more related to Vettel throwing the win away than any hatred for him. Either that or the booing was coming from supporters of 'a close WDC' who don't like one driver dominating. I don't think it was a malicious personal thing against Vettel per se'. More of a "you coughed up the win and cracked under pressure, you silly thing you"...OR... "you're dominating the 2011 Championship too much"-type of stuff, to be honest. Personally, I thought Vettel was mighty in Q3 to get Pole from the Ferraris and then dominate every racing start. Shame that he made that error...but then every driver made mistakes on Sunday. The conditions were appaling and constantly changing. Cheers Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom