EBD & Engine Mapping questions and answers

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
The FIA have started clamping down on the engine mapping early.

In a note sent from F1 technical delegate Charlie Whiting to the teams, he made it clear that with immediate effect teams will no longer be allowed to change engine maps between qualifying and the race.

Such a move will effectively prevent teams from running an extreme engine map for qualifying - such as one that produces more exhaust blowing or burns more fuel – and then reverting to a safer setting for the grand prix itself.

So how is that going to change things?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92494

Maybe they should now with the new directive from the FIA I posted above.

There is now no point in having a special EBD floor if the engine mapping can't be used anyway.

That looks very interesting bro, it certainly would explain the difference in the pace between qualifying and race pace for Red Bull. I almost hope that isn't the reason though as it will be very frustrating to think it's taken half a season to address it. And when one is running away with it and you suddenly have 4 or 5 on an equal playing field it'll be hard to recover.

I suspect that's only part of it.

The front wing is still able to scrape the floor and pass the load tests, so they won't lose all of their advantage.

Anyone got a link to article or vid regarding this "flexable front wing and load tests" I saw a still shot of it once comparing at two verious sections and it shows the flex......though these days you can never be to sure with Photoshop.

Considering the EBD ban is coming in at Silverstone, it will be interesting to see whether any teams decide to make the change now to get a one race head start on the others.

Probably not though, as it will put them at too much of a disadvantage over the weekend.
I'm pretty sure all the teams will do some free practice running in the new set up. Everyone's cars are going to be different because even the Cosworths have been using cold blowing for a year or more and that is also being banned.

I will be looking for bigger rear wings and other ways teams are trying to recover the lost braking stability but my main fear with the ban is that it could hurt overtaking and make it even more DRS dependent.:disappointed:

It means that Red Bull can't supercharge for qualifying and then tone it down for the race.

They can do what they like in Friday practice, jez, it doesn't have to pass Scrutineering!

I don't know if I should be peeved because they seem to have the edge even by somewhat dubious means, or on the other hand really be amazed that a reletively new comer to F1 has caught the F1 status quo with their pants down. I can see Ferrari and Mc engineers all hands to the pump to get anything extra out of their machines.

"between qualifying and the race", means they can still play around in free practice and then lock it for qualifying.
Fairly pointless using off throttle EBD during practice though if they effectively can't use it for qualifying or the race.

Of course they could use it for qualifying, but then they can't change it for the race and I doubt they'd get to the end of the race before running out of fuel or the engine blowing.

Of course they could use it for qualifying, but then they can't change it for the race and I doubt they'd get to the end of the race before running out of fuel or the engine blowing.

And they may have to run massively heavy on fuel anyway, cue silver, red and silver and red cars disappearing down the road.

It means that Red Bull can't supercharge for qualifying and then tone it down for the race.

They can do what they like in Friday practice, jez, it doesn't have to pass Scrutineering!
I think we are saying the same thing :)

The article says they could change it at the first pitstop by plugging a computer in while they change the tyres, but they reckon this would be impractical due to the speed of modern pitstops... :thinking: Surely they could connect a cable (a bit like the old fuel hoses), send a data bit and disconnect it in 4 secs or so couldn't they? It must still be worth it for the second a lap or so it would give in qually and the first (short) race stint?

I think we are saying the same thing :)

The article says they could change it at the first pitstop by plugging a computer in while they change the tyres, but they reckon this would be impractical due to the speed of modern pitstops... :thinking: Surely they could connect a cable (a bit like the old fuel hoses), send a data bit and disconnect it in 4 secs or so couldn't they? It must still be worth it for the second a lap or so it would give in qually and the first (short) race stint?

Bluetooth and wireless, if you pre program a state it is very easy to do.

Fairly pointless using off throttle EBD during practice though if they effectively can't use it for qualifying or the race.
I was thinking more the other way around, without off throttle EBD during FP to prepare for Silverstone.

I think the mapping is slightly different because aggressive mapping on throttle will still be allowed after Silverstone.

I can see an advantage to turning on max power for qually and race stint 1 (10 laps = 10 second gap?) and then switching it off at the first stop again.

Bluetooth and wireless, if you pre program a state it is very easy to do.
I wondered about that but there is a suggestion that the computer needs to be plugged in?? Does anyone know if there is a telemetry rule that prevents wireless connections being established to the car?

There is, I think. They allowed pit-to-car telemetry in 2002 and we got ultra-reliable two-by-two racing. So they banned it!

I wondered about that but there is a suggestion that the computer needs to be plugged in?? Does anyone know if there is a telemetry rule that prevents wireless connections being established to the car?

That is what I was wondering too, if not wireless/radio is the easiest way to switch engine states as soon as the car comes within proximity to the paddocks.

There seems to be a lot of discussion on how the banning of the relevant engine maps will affect RBR, but the other teams do it as well. It may well add to the lap time of RBR, it may also add nearly as much time to the McLaren lap time.

I still think Vettel for pole is the most likely outcome.

Back
Top Bottom