Driver involvement in overtaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOF_power

Banned
22218585560001dbd902o73qj0.jpg

How it should be done.

Seriously why should drivers adjust the wings when the computers can do that actually efficient.
Or torque maps, or diff settings or brake bias or other B* that production car electronics have done for 10-20 years.

"People talk about technology trickledown," says British aerodynamicist Mark Handford. "But it's tosh, really. If you look at the spec sheet for an E-Class Mercedes, you'll find electronic stability control and next-generation antilock brakes and all sorts of other things that are illegal in Formula 1. It's so frustrating to have all this technology and not be able to use it.

Seriously why should drivers adjust the wings when the computers can do that actually efficient.
Or torque maps, or diff settings or brake bias or other B* that production car electronics have done for 10-20 years.

Because it's a World Drivers Championship, not a World Passengers Championship?

On that note... Overtaking is an art and we have seen how wrong it can go in the hands of the brightest sparks - Turkey Shoot, Spa Shunt etc. Add a Kers button to press and a wing lever to pull and we are on an express train to Shuntsville.

Since when is overtaking an art.
Seriously you should footage from the days F1/GP racing actually had passing and understand concepts like slipstreaming and having the better car.

That's all that overtaking is about.

When did this concept of "art "even came along ?!

Cause of when I read old magazines everyone complained about the chicanes at Monza, Silverstone and so on from the early-mid 70s.

Seriously people were smarter in 70s, nobody talked this art stuff, they just said things as there really were.

I think it's one of Bernie marketing marvels to convince people that overtaking is an art.

Because it's a World Drivers Championship, not a World Passengers Championship?

That's a nonsense of an answer.
There is no World Drivers Championship, never was never will, just a marketing/PR nonsense for the gullible (from the days of the Great Depression), it's about the best team + car + driver combo (always was, always will be).

If you don't consider formula motor racing and its components to be an art form DOF, it is your loss.

When the **** did this concept of "art "even came along ?!

That would be about the dawn of mankind.

Taking more and more of the elements of 'driving' out of the drivers' hands will make it less of a driver's championship than it is already. Even Mosley saw that.

Of course it's about the best team, car and driver and always will be, but you can either have the drivers driving the cars or the team controlling them from the pits. I know which I prefer.

Taking more and more of the elements of 'driving' out of the drivers' hands will make it less of a driver's championship than it is already. Even Mosley saw that.

Of course it's about the best team, car and driver and always will be, but you can either have the drivers driving the cars or the team controlling them from the pits. I know which I prefer.

What driver championship have you seem lately ?!

Cause I've seen Alonso, Webber and Hamilton all stuck behind Renaults for the entire race (almost) at Abu Dhabi.

That wasn't a driver championship, that was just car parade, and it's been like this for long time.

What sorts of "control" did these drivers had ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO4PifwXyiw

Overtaking for dummies (from 2:51 to 3:09) from the days of actual overtaking.
Get in the tow, put the foot down, get out of the stream an overtake, repeat.
Just drive as fast as you can. :cheer:

Yes, and without any of those fancy driver aids turning it into the World Passenger Championship, exactly as Galahad said. Read what people have written before you dismiss it out of hand, please.

That wasn't a driver championship, that was just car parade, and it's been like this for long time.
So why are you still watching it?

I loathe ice dancing but I don't force myself to watch it and then sign up on ice dancing forums and annoy the hell out of every member telling them how useless it is.

That's your view, fine, but now answer my actual point, re-reading the post as many times as necessary.

Yes, and without any of those fancy driver aids turning it into the World Passenger Championship, exactly as Galahad said. Read what people have written before you dismiss it out of hand, please.

The World Passenger Championship is what Abu Dhabi 2010 and 2010 season was about and what F1 is been for years now.
Car electronics can actually help passing .

The World Passenger Championship is what Abu Dhabi 2010 and 2010 season was about and what F1 is been for years now.
Car electronics can actually help passing .

Make up your mind. You hark back to the days of old when such aids did not exist and now you are saying they are beneficial? Which is it, I can't keep track? :rolleyes:

What elements of driving decide a championship these days. Cause I've seen aero-chicane "stuck behind" championships but no driver championship.

DOF, you are looking in the wrong place. Talking of which... are you sure this forum is right for you?

Make up your mind. You hark back to the days of old when such aids did not exist and now you are saying they are beneficial? Which is it, I can't keep track? :rolleyes:

The only thing I hark about the old days is the on track passing (when it actually happen), and innovation/ relevance (being a car fan and motorsport enthusiast and not a driver/personality worshiper), anything else can go/change .

I see, must have misread this post when you talked about bringing back ground effects and active suspension.

F1 racecars need to use computer control wings and winglets front and rear with active suspensions controlled Ground Effects and active 4 wheel drive for overtaking to properly improve.

Till then it will be just wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom