Climate change, global warming & the environment

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
How exactly do we lower the population by 3.85 billion people in a reasonably short space of time and without at cataclysmic event ??

At about the same time there was the news that a white British woman had borne her 21st child - "we only started out to have three" she said.
Interested to know if being white is important in this story? (Reference my post on message perception in the Politics thread).

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
How exactly do we lower the population by 3.85 billion people in a reasonably short space of time and without at cataclysmic event ??
I haven't the slightest idea but maybe Mother Nation will provide a way.

Interested to know if being white is important in this story? (Reference my post on message perception in the Politics thread).
A reference to what I frequently see on the internet where population growth is frequently blamed on large families of Muslims. Fortunately we do not get it here. Actually a major cause of population growth in the UK is down to people living longer.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Living longer does appear to be a big problem. Once medical science sorts out Cancer then there will be another huge jump in population figures.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
1 child families worked reasonably well in China.
It has left China with a huge hole in its population. As the current working population moves towards retirement they don't have enough workers to replace them or support all those who want to retire and have some standard of living.

The best way to control population is through wealth. Anyone remember 2.4 children? When I was a kid that was the average number of children in the UK. That number is now 1.9 per family.

As societies get wealthier they have smaller families which will bring down the total number on the planet. Remember families in poor countries have lots of children as an "insurance policy" to look after them in their old age. If they are wealthier they have fewer children as they ca provide for their old age themselves. However, it will mean we will need to work longer to ensure all the jobs are filled and people have enough to survive in retirement.

These are also subject politicians won't discuss.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I look at some of the salaries of successful bankers, accountants, and corporate executives and feel sick. Your average life saver, be that NHS, Policemen/ women, Peacekeepers/ services, struggle to stay afloat. Surely they are worth more than some plonker who knows how to screw the system.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Douglas Adams would clear us out of the way for a space hyperway. I’m not sure how helpful that would be.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
Now we are told that we should not eat meat, especially beef and lamb.

Cow burps, food miles and climate change

Some while ago I had a discussion with a vegan, she wanted people to not drink cow's milk but found it difficult to equate that with the number of cows which would have to be slaughtered. There was also someone involved who stated that milking cows was the same as raping them; she had never lived anywhere near the countryside. Neither seemed to realise that the land freed up in the Welsh hills would probably not be suitable for growing soya.

The liklihood of getting folk to stop eating meat is about the same as stopping driving private cars.

I am gradually coming to the conclusion that we should just say to hell with it, eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. I may not feel the same when tomorroow comes.

Olivier

Race Winner
You may be right Bill Boddy but eating less meat is nevertheless worth trying. I'm not a vegetarian myself but once a week I have a free-meat day. I don't really do it to reduce climate change mind you but to detox my body

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Why does NOT eating meat detox your body Olivier ? If you follow/ believe in evolution, we have moved, quite naturally, from plannts, nuts, seeds, onward to fish and meat. It’s what’s happened since. It’s how we process those basic staples of human existence. If it were possible to eat totally natural food, raw or cooked as naturally as we could, I think we would be better for it. So if you enjoy meat, find the good stuff

Olivier

Race Winner
I don’t know why Titch, it just does. When I eat red meat in particular I feel sluggish and less dynamic. I’m not a big fan of meat myself but my family is so I just go along and skip meat one day. I find also that eating “organic” meat is much tastier. It’s also much more expensive.

vintly

Mostly bacon
Premium Contributor
It's only relatively recently that we've started eating so much meat. The average portion of chicken these days provides way, way more calories and protein than we need to function well and effectively. Whether you eat meat or not, you certainly don't need to, but if you do it eat then consider reducing portions, just to be healthier.

Top Bottom