Climate change, global warming & the environment

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Yes, but you should see what it's done to the landscape. A once beautiful headland covered in hundreds of wind turbines, no longer accessible to anyone or anything. There has to be a better way.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
.... There has to be a better way.
I agree, but until it is usable how do you tell someone who has nothing except a flooded tin hut that things will get better one day? I am not sure that they would appreciate it was worth it when told it was to save the view.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
With wind turbines it's not just the view that needs saving, so do many birds. Anyway the people who need power, don't benefit from the power that we generate, they need to generate their own.

Incubus

Champion Elect
Anyway the people who need power, don't benefit from the power that we generate, they need to generate their own.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Are you serious?... What power do we "generate"? Except the comparatively tiny percentage of "clean" energy for which this government continues to treat as an afterthought budget-wise?

We are so over-reliant on overseas fossil fuel multinationals it's unreal.

Last edited:

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Add in the fact that all of our energy production in owned by the Germans and the French which means any profits which are generated get taken off shore.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Well Incubus I was talking about the we in the West,and East, not just the UK, I'm aware we have nothing to offer, and I was referring to Bill Boddy s flooded tin hut scenario. So what are the benefits to us of all our imported fuel, zilch, we are dependant on a non-dependable situation. Encouraging the tin hutters to become fuel independent, is much better than covering the world in wind turbines, maybe they could get it right, unlike us. Maybe they could create energy from their waste. Green energy.

Incubus

Champion Elect
  1. OK I got you wrong but to put it mildly we in the west haven't got a hell of a lot of ground to stand on when it comes to "encouraging" any nation nations in Africa or Asia into anything considering how many of these are still struggling in a post-colonial landscape to alter the legacy of an infrastructure that we in the west are responsible for imposing on them in the first place...

It' s like what they' ve been doing for the past few years in some african countries offering farmers offering incentivesto grow organic and GM-free crops. Probably a very good idea for some of us wishy-washy eco-minded westerners. For them however it's a slightly different story. These crops require a hell of a lot more land for a start - incidentally encrounching on wildlife ever further - and costs a lot more to maintain. Who's gonna pay for that, and most importantly how many of the locals will be able to even afford whatever produce comes out of it?

Last edited:

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Stolen from Orwell : It strikes me that if such men were aware of their strength, we would have no hold over them.

Slightly modified.

Top Bottom