Climate change, global warming & the environment

snowy

Champion Elect
Even scientist can't agree on whether global warming is caused by man or just a natural phonomena and it definitely hasn't been proven as a fact..
If you look hard enough you will find a scientist who will have an opposing view to any consensus. In the case of Climate Change and the affect of Human activity on it, there is an overwhelming consensus in the scientific community. It is no longer the scientific community dragging their feet and arguing amongst themselves.It is now the politicians and us as individuals who are unable to reach an accord and take the necessary steps to mitigate the problem of Global Warming.

Last edited:

snowy

Champion Elect
Mephistopheles the fact is, that there has been an overwhelming weight of evidence and a consensus that man is affecting Climate Change for a long time. Your arguments and perception of this crisis are at least ten years out of date. And there is evidence that a consensus on this subject within the scientific community was arrived at as early as 1988!

Last edited:

snowy

Champion Elect
The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change
This analysis shows that scientists publishing in the peer-reviewed literature agree with IPCC, the National Academy of Sciences, and the public statements of their professional societies. Politicians, economists, journalists, and others may have the impression of confusion, disagreement, or discord among climate scientists, but that impression is incorrect.

The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility, and no one can be faulted for failing to act on what is not known. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of anthropogenic climate change and failed to do anything about it.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/306/5702/1686.full.pdf&embedded=true published in 2004

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
I have no idea about global warming. although I try to keep up with 'modern thinking' but tend to believe in climate change.

In the same way I try to keep a grip of scientific dietary information - a fruitless exercise.

What scientists really, really need to do is stay schtum until their 'tests' have been in existence for as long as the Planet and Mankind!

Brogan

Leg end
Staff member
A bit late to the discussion, but...

Last year's record means that eight of the UK's top ten warmest years have occurred since 2002.

The analysis also shows 2014 was the UK's fourth wettest year, with 1,297.1 millimetres of rainfall.

It was the warmest year on record for all nations and regions in the UK apart from Northern Ireland, which had its joint third warmest year behind 2007 and 2006.
In December, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said that 2014 was set to be the hottest ever worldwide, confirming the underlying global warming trend.

Five of the UK's top six wettest years have occurred since 2000, according to the data.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30683339

How anyone can think that man can basically rape the planet for several centuries, with birth rates, industry, pollution, and waste increasing exponentially and it not to have any effect on the environment, is beyond me.

Fairly sure there used to be a "global warming" thread somewhere.

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
Looks like during the Viking days when the population was no where near as high as it is now the average temperature was higher than today then there was a mini ice age so it's not surprising the temperature is starting rise again, none of this points to man being the culprit.

Notice this graph fits precisely with the one above at year 1800 AD.

For more than 2000 years the global temperature has fluctuated by less than one degree C.

Last edited:

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
I remember there being quite a long cold spell at the start of 1975, we moved at the end of April on a day when there were snow showers in Bedfordshire. A week or so before that there had been a weather man on the radio talking about the fact (sic) that we were entering a new mini ice age similar to the one at the time Dickens was writing. There was not going to be another good summer until after 2000.

A couple of weeks after we moved I was on Dunstable market with a brief shower of snow, this did not lay. A week later I was there again, the temperature was just in the low 70s. From then on until October 1976 there was very little rain and we had been through 2 hot summers, the 1976 one broke all sorts of records.

Yes, I think we are in a time of global warming which we are probably making worse, but don't believe everything that weather men tell you, it could even reverse.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I am very confused. I have apparently had a post sent here. But I don't see one. I can't think why anyway, as I don't remember any climate related ramblings. ?

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
Earlier in the week of the great storm there was a forecast that there would be extremely high winds and heavy rain on the Thursday night, it was also mentioned in the Thursday weather forecast.

Michael Fish said that there would not be a hurricane, in this he was technically correct.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Well it blew the entire roof of a nearby bungalow! (We were in Cornwall at the time). So not your everyday storm, and if my memory is correct the Fastnet race was devastated

The Pits

Harumph. Again.
Valued Member
My understanding is that it was definitely not a hurricane. It was bigger and more energetic than a hurricane.

The paper round that morning was particularly challenging!!

Top Bottom