Australians rule at the Masters golf tourney

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
Three of the top five finishers at the Masters golf tourney, including the winner, are my fellow countrymen! It is the first Masters win for an Australian.

Well done!:cheer:

Incredible finish last night.

Scott makes the great birdie to take the lead on 18 only to watch Cabrera stuff it in there right behind him and tie it up. I thought El Pato would take it after that, but I'm glad to see Adam get his win. He's been on the end of a few tough defeats in the past.

Let their be no doubt that the Master's is the greatest golf tournament in the world. The Open Championship is a close 2nd though.

Nothing beats the Open at St Andrews ;)

I thought it was a disgrace that the 14 yr old Amateur was given a 1-shot penalty for slow play. Talk about making an example of the easiest target in the tournament. When was the last time Keegan Bradley was given a warning, let alone a penalty? The guy takes ages between shots with that ridiculous twirling of the club and 35 practice swings before finally hitting the bloody ball.
And, the blatant manipulation to keep Tiger Woods in the tournament was utter nonsense. He admitted he took an illegal drop and therefore knowingly signed an incorrect scorecard. Yet the PGA tried to use the TV rule, even though the TV network who pointed the infraction out only did so after Tiger had admitted it in the press conference.:rolleyes: The PGA are very lucky Tiger didn't win as I think the fallout would have been tremendous.

Masters rules officials originally ruled Woods' drop legal, which is why there was no chance of disqualification.

The penalty on Guan almost caused in international incident. He ended up right on the cut line. And it was a European Tour rules official who gave him the penalty.

Masters rules officials originally ruled Woods' drop legal, which is why there was no chance of disqualification.

The penalty on Guan almost caused in international incident. He ended up right on the cut line. And it was a European Tour rules official who gave him the penalty.

I thought the rules officials didn't see the drop originally, which is why it only came to light once Woods had admitted it after the round?

Yes it was John Paramore who gave the slow play penalty, but it highlighted the lack of consistancy in slow play penalties on the PGA tour (something the PGA tour is criticised for on an almost weekly basis both by Sky pundits and the Golf Channel, whom Sky buy their coverage from), which is where most of the outrage came from. And, Tiger Woods was forced to wait for 30 minutes on one tee for the group ahead and no action was taken.

For anyone who watched the coverage on Sky, the 'Master's Breakfast' show was brilliant, especially with Seve's former caddie Billy Foster in the studio, one of the funniest guys in the game. Talking of seeing Tiger Woods achieve the greatest par he'd ever seen, he said "Off the tee Tiger hit so far behind the ball I could have lay down in his divot and put a headstone behind me"LOL

I thought the rules officials didn't see the drop originally, which is why it only came to light once Woods had admitted it after the round?

They don't actually have rules officials that walk with every group at The Masters, so it's very likely that no official saw the original drop. They were alerted to a possible rules breach while Tiger was playing 18, they reviewed it and saw no transgression, so no additional penalty. When they were notified of Woods' comments after the round, they had already missed the opportunity for a DQ. A 2 stroke penalty was their only form of recourse. The only way Eldrick wasn't going to play the weekend was if Withdrew himself.

This whole thing was incredibly unfortunate for Woods. His ball had no right to go in the water in the first place. It glanced the flagstick and spun violently backwards. If he makes birdie there, which was very likely, he makes 4 on that hole instead of the eventual 8. He then finishes at 9 under in a tie for the lead.

They don't actually have rules officials that walk with every group at The Masters, so it's very likely that no official saw the original drop. They were alerted to a possible rules breach while Tiger was playing 18, they reviewed it and saw no transgression, so no additional penalty. When they were notified of Woods' comments after the round, they had already missed the opportunity for a DQ. A 2 stroke penalty was their only form of recourse. The only way Eldrick wasn't going to play the weekend was if Withdrew himself.

This whole thing was incredibly unfortunate for Woods. His ball had no right to go in the water in the first place. It glanced the flagstick and spun violently backwards. If he makes birdie there, which was very likely, he makes 4 on that hole instead of the eventual 8. He then finishes at 9 under in a tie for the lead.

Fair enough on the ruling. He was never going to DQ himself, i'm not sure why anyone was suggesting that. I don't think anyone realistically would have done the same, even though there were some eminent names like Nicklaus and Flado saying he should have for the good of the game.

Not sure I agree entirely with your second paragraph though. Although he was unlucky he hit the flag, that didn't create the backspin, he did that on his own. If he had taken some spin off, perhaps by clubbing up and hitting an easier shot, he wouldn't have got so much spin.

When the ball hits the stick, the rotation is altered, and the result is always magnified as to the expected original outcome. This happens to even average golfers. There wasn't a single ball all week that landed behind the pin on 15 and spun back into the water. On the greens at Augusta its almost impossible to spin a ball like Tigers ricochet off the flag. It's inconceivable his ball goes in the water on 15 without hitting the pin, and Par was the worst possible outcome.

Doesn't matter anyway, once again he couldn't hit big shots when he needed them most. Eldrick had several opportunities to really seize this thing and get out front, which is the only place he ever wins Majors from. He and I know that shot, and the ensuing penalty were not the reason he lost the tourney.

It was a shit break though.

Back
Top Bottom