RANT A Rant - Things that REALLY annoy me

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
Very hot air Angel ? Or if you dare get hold of one of those devices used for assisting the removal of wallpaper.

Dartman

Points Scorer
It is the time for flying ants, it only lasts a few days then it's over, a real pain whilst it happens, it also tends not to repeat, possibly only 2 years and then gone

Angel

🧸 Smile, it might never happen.
Contributor
The trouble is the ants are under our gas boiler as I say, which is a back boiler in a chimney breast with a gas fire in front of it. So it's incredibly awkward to get at. We have about an inch clearance either side of the boiler but we can't even see where they're coming in, let alone get at it.

Dartman this has been going on for three to four years and sadly it's not just a couple of days, it happens pretty much every time we get a humid day and last year it happened about 9-10 times at least between mid July and the end of October, so we could be in for more fun yet :(

Thanks for the advice, we can't put water down there, as I say it's around a gas boiler, diesel and match would probably be good if we wanted the whole street to go up! A heat gun might work but I'll admit I'd be scared of using that too close to the boiler as well. We've already asked two different plumbers and they can't come up with a solution either.

Angel

Contributor
When we had ants at the house I grew up in, they were around a stone step that led into our dining room. Anyway my dad threw some petrol (that he had in a can for his lawn mower) on the step and set light to it, no more ants. He was lucky the house didn't go up, but it cured the problem.

Angel

Contributor
Trust me Titch if I could get boiling water onto the ant, I would. Sadly I simply can't do it where they are. I can't even see where they're coming in let alone get at them :( Thankfully we haven't had any since Sunday, I just dread the next few days when they are saying humid again as that is when we get them.

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
Damned incompetent doctors!

My sister needed a colostomy as part of the treatment for her cancers. It was reversed 4 days ago and she seemed to be making good progress. Then yesterday, I go to visit her and her room is empty! I find out that she was taken to the ICU because she was pooping out LOTS of blood and was delirious.

The only place she could be losing blood from in the intestinal tract is the surgical site, so her surgeon had to have screwed up. They have stopped the bleeding but don't know how complete her recovery from this will be.

So, instead of the cancer potentially killing her, it looks like her surgeons are an even greater threat!

What a great system!

Angel

Contributor
siffert_fan That is just awful and I'm sorry to read that. Sadly surgeons are like the rest of us in that they're only human and mistakes do happen. I know that doesn't help when it's your loved one it happens to though does it? I hope she makes a good and speedy recovery from this, it's the last thing she or her loved ones needed though.

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
The incompetent doctors have completed their dirty work. My wonderful sister died yesterday. She went into spasms, so was sent to CT for a head scan. The scan revealed a tumor in the brain. The hospital said that there was no record of her ever having had a brain scan before. That means that her oncologist had never imaged her head, even though he was treating her for two different types of cancer!

Within hours, my sister passed away.

I can't help feeling that, if the doctors had had their act together, she would not only be alive today, but would quite possibly be well on the way to complete recovery (the cancers that WERE being treated had been greatly reduced). By not doing a COMPLETE scan at the very beginning, they essentially guaranteed that she would not survive, so all of the ordeal they put her through was for nothing.

I'm glad we moved to Canada. The health system there cannot possibly be as bad as that in Australia.

Top Bottom