A Question About Tyre Allocation

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
After watching today's P2 session, I have a question about tyres and would be happy if someone can help.

During the session, there was an interview with the Bridgestone geezer (can't remember his name) and they were talking about the number of tyres that a driver can use on a Friday. I think he said a driver can use four sets of tyres out of the race weekend allocation of 14.

Do the regulations limit the number of tyres for a friday to four, or can a driver use more than that but they will then have less new tyres for the rest of the weekend?

And did I hear correctly that the tyres used today are given to Bridgestone to look over and then given back to the teams. Presumably these tyres used today can still be used over the rest of the weekend if needed, but probably wouldn't as they are now well worn.
Or have I got this all wrong and I didn't pay attention? Must have been alsleep or something..! :sleeping:

Hi McZ

This information is taken from the FIA 2009 Sporting regulations and should answer the bulk of your question.

25.2 Quantity of tyres :

During the Event no driver may use more than fourteen sets of dry-weather tyres, four sets of intermediate tyres and three sets of wet-weather tyres.

No driver may use more than two sets of each specification of dry-weather tyre during P1 and P2.

A set of tyres will be deemed to comprise two front and two rear tyres all of which must be of the same specification.

25.3 Control of tyres :
a) The outer sidewall of all tyres which are to be used at an Event must be marked with a unique identification.

b) Other than in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards of the meeting), all tyres intended for use at an Event must be presented to the FIA technical delegate for allocation prior to the end of initial scrutineering.

c) At any time during an Event, and at his absolute discretion, the FIA technical delegate may select alternative dry-weather tyres to be used by any team or driver from among the stock of tyres the appointed supplier has present at the Event.

d) A competitor wishing to replace one unused tyre by another identical unused one must present both tyres to the FIA technical delegate.

e) The use of tyres without appropriate identification may result in a grid position penalty or exclusion from the race.

f) The only permitted type of tyre heating devices are blankets which use resistive heating elements.

25.4 Use of tyres :

a) Each nominated driver will be allocated four sets of dry-weather tyres, two of each specification, for use during P1 and P2. These are the only dry-weather tyres which may be used during these sessions and must be returned to the tyre supplier before the start of P3.

If an additional driver is used (see Article 19.1(b) he must use the tyres allocated to the nominated driver he replaced.

b) Each nominated driver will be allocated ten further sets of dry-weather tyres, five of each specification, for use during the remainder of the Event. However, one set of each specification must be returned to the tyre supplier before the start of the qualifying practice session and may not be used during the remainder of the Event.

c) Prior to the start of the qualifying practice session intermediate and wet-weather tyres may only be used after the track has been declared wet by the race director, following which intermediate, wet or dry-weather tyres may be used for the remainder of the session.

d) Unless he has used intermediate or wet-weather tyres during the race, each driver must use at least one set of each specification of dry-weather tyres during the race.

e) If the race is started behind the safety car because of heavy rain (see Article 40.15) the use of wet-weather tyres until the safety car returns to the pits is compulsory.

Back
Top Bottom