Grand Prix 2022 Moanaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Week after the a rather entertaining Spanish GP which took us all by surprise & we go to the jewel in the crown of the F1 calendar & was 1 the most watched race of the year but that has declined in last few years according to reports. Monaco, as im in minority who enjoys the glitz the glamour, the yachts, the harbour of monte carlo circuit. i thought it was up to me to right up the thread. for me its an iconic challenge you ask anyone who doesnt watch F1. Monaco will come quite high in the list of circuits they'd name.

For me i love it, yeah races can processional as its difficult to pass & F1 may have outgrown. only Grand Prix that does not have to adhere to the FIA's mandated 305 km minimum race distance for F1 races. but qualifying on Saturday is still the biggest challenge an F1 driver can ever face. building up the confidence & every driver says their is no feeling like it when you hook up a lap around here. Senna called it an out of body experience. where he was watching himself from above. in 1988 when he did maybe the greatest pole lap in F1 history& to lose monaco would be same as to lose Monza, Silverstone or Spa.

There is always a story when you come to Monaco.
whether its the race nobody wanted to win in 1982,
senna in toleman v prost 1984,
senna crashing out with minute lead in 1988.
senna v mansell 1992
Panis in 1996

or in recent years
- Hamilton hitting the tabac barrier in 2008, that was inadvertently perfect strategic timing
- The red flag tyre controversy in 2010
Schumacher pole in 2012
- Rosberg controversial pole 2014. that started deterioration/end of friendship
- Mercedes misjudging Hamilton Lead & pitting during late SC threw away a certain win
- Red Bull pit stop disaster, throwing away Riccardio chances of victory who dominated all weekend
- Riccardo getting justice for 2016 in 2018 but having to hold off vettel with ailing engine
- who could forget last year, Leclerc already on pole, flying on his final lap but crashing into barrier at swimming pool. which would result in not being able to start his home race

But will Leclerc luck get better as this is his home race but he has never seen the chequered flag in any formula

The Alfa FB page says "Look who stopped by to say hi". Does anyone have a ****ing clue who these people are?

1653769465913.png

When is the rain coming? Shades of 1982 or 1996?
according to Google
rain 10 - 11am & 2 - 3pm
Showers 11am - 2pm & 3pm - 8pm

according to accuweather
Rain at 10am, midday & 5pm

met office
4pm

F1 forecaster ubiset
10-11am & 2pm - 6pm

Last edited:
On a different note is Monaco about to be dropped? There are some areas of the circuit they could change to make the racing for exciting for sure

I think that there is a case that three of the top four qualifiers should have faced penalties this weekend:
  1. Leclerc - for missing the weighbridge. I'm amazed that Ferrari weren't penalized for this - even though the Ferrari team pushed him back - this is a really sketchy thing to do in a live pitlane!
  2. Perez - Oddly, this is the least penalty worthy (based on the rules), but I still think that if you cause a red flag, you should have to start from the pitlane.
  3. Sainz - Of the three, this is the one I cannot understand why there was no investigation. I can't understand why the Ferrari team were not screaming to slow down
(Of course, Alonso should also be starting from the pitlane...)

yes im surprised no investigation from sainz. leclerc was fine because they stopped in time. if he got back to his pit box he wouldve been disqualified

yes im surprised no investigation from sainz. leclerc was fine because they stopped in time. if he got back to his pit box he wouldve been disqualified
True, but what's to stop them dropping some lead shot into the cockpit? As soon as the mechanics touch the car, the integrity of the car being unaltered is compromised.

I think that there is a case that three of the top four qualifiers should have faced penalties this weekend:
  1. Leclerc - for missing the weighbridge. I'm amazed that Ferrari weren't penalized for this - even though the Ferrari team pushed him back - this is a really sketchy thing to do in a live pitlane!
  2. Perez - Oddly, this is the least penalty worthy (based on the rules), but I still think that if you cause a red flag, you should have to start from the pitlane.
  3. Sainz - Of the three, this is the one I cannot understand why there was no investigation. I can't understand why the Ferrari team were not screaming to slow down
(Of course, Alonso should also be starting from the pitlane...)
Again the main beneficiary would have been Verstappen who is cursing his luck and both Horner and Narko have had their say on various points on this.

Funny how Horner has to defend that Perez did not ruin Verstappen's quali
Typically Marko said Leclerc should have got a heavier penalty

In terms of Sainz 's incident just highlights why Monaco should not be on the F1 calendar with the difficulties in getting the message about flags around the circuit

Looks like the race will start wettish... this could actually make the race a race (rather than a procession aiming to go as slowly as possible to win)

People often talk about Panis' drive, but actually, Salo's drive in the Tyrrell in 1997 was far more impressive - driving with only half a front wing for half the race to finish 5th!

Strategy could be fascinating today...

Intermediate at the start, then changing, but what to change to? The soft won't last, but the hard will be difficult to get up to temperature on a damp track!

Monaco 1996 saw the first cars to change to slicks going 10 seconds a lap faster than those on the wets... We could see a driver jump forward significantly...

Back
Top Bottom