Grand Prix 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The Hungarian Grand Prix, a race so unloved that absolutely no one could be bothered to post a PQR thread about it until after P1 had already started.

A track that is often not as bad at providing interesting races as people remember it for.

A country that is now being run by a group of nutters.

The weekend is the legacy of a time when holding races in Eastern Europe was seen as a ground breaking thing to do.

That being said, with the country being run by lunatics, the West in a proxy war with Russia and Ferrari blowing up at every opportunity, it could almost be 1986 all over again.

The UK timings for the weekend if anyone is remotely bothered are as follows:

First Practice29 July13:00
Second Practice29 July16:00
Third Practice30 July12:00
Qualification30 July15:00
Race31 July14:00

Enjoy.

I probably wouldve stepped in but internet can be dodgy down here at times

i like the Hungarian GP. but dont whether its because i watched them on holiday alot. to the point i cant remember when i last watched the Hungarian grand prix at home. but it had used to be 1 of the boring races. but quite recently its turned into 1 of most memorable races of seasons 2011 2013 2014 2015 & last 3 years have been brilliant

I've been on my travels also, so haven't had much time. Going to miss qualie as my eldest has a track day tomorrow. Suspect the race will be another Red Bull benefit so might wait until it's close to the end and watch it on FF.

yes i feel like ive got to apologise to caravan either side of us. as i was watching it on my phone & forgotten where I was for a moment LOL

Hungary can produce a few surprises, Damon Hill produced a first row start in a very unfavoured Arrows when no one was watching and nearly won the race but for a mechanical issue that slowed him allowing his old team a fortunate escape from embarrassment.

Interesting fact

1st race win for future world champions

Damon Hill 1993
Alonso 2003
Button 2006

only win for

Kovalainen 2008

--
they say you could not pass at the Hungaroring - Mansell amazingly from 12th in 1989 other than that you dont win unless you start from the front row generally

--

I bet you the Verstappen fans are now using Hamilton got outqualified by Russell excuse to deflect his problems

Hungary can produce a few surprises, Damon Hill produced a first row start in a very unfavoured Arrows when no one was watching and nearly won the race but for a mechanical issue that slowed him allowing his old team a fortunate escape from embarrassment.

Interesting fact

1st race win for future world champions

Damon Hill 1993
Alonso 2003
Button 2006

only win for

Kovalainen 2008

--
they say you could not pass at the Hungaroring - Mansell amazingly from 12th in 1989 other than that you dont win unless you start from the front row generally

--

I bet you the Verstappen fans are now using Hamilton got outqualified by Russell excuse to deflect his problems
to add to that isnt Hungary. where most drivers have taken their maiden win or is that Canada

Hungary is the circuit where the driver has more input to the lap time than the car, unless of course the car is an absolute dog, so are the top 10 the best drivers or who below them is better but has the absolute dog?

i dont think anyone saw coming. in the worst mercedes since 2013
Not even Merc! They still don't seem to know where the pace suddenly came from! What a shame for Lewis. After all of the problems the team has had with producing competitive qualifying speed, they finally have a pole competitve car (at least, for one race) and a DRS failure robbed him of his only real chance of getting a pole so far this season. Is this just a one-off surprise or has Merc really found something? And how will their race pace be? Fortunately for GR, it's so difficult to pass here so he needs to get a good start. If GR maintains 1st and Ferrari are able to hold their 2nd and 3rd positions at the start and can keep close to GR (as one would expect), they'll have a strategic opportunity to try for an undercut with one of their cars. Again, fortunately for GR, Ferrari have often mucked up their strategy calls this season. And of course, the superior straight line speed of the RB could be a big factor on this difficult to pass circuit in helping Max work his way through to the leaders (otherwise, he may just get bogged down behind slower cars). Then there's the potential for rain, in which case all bets for a conventional race are off. Interesting possiblities! As they say, "Stay tuned."

What a shame for Lewis. After all of the problems the team has had with producing competitive qualifying speed, they finally have a pole competitve car (at least, for one race) and a DRS failure robbed him of his only real chance of getting a pole so far this season. Is this just a one-off surprise or has Merc really found something? And how will their race pace be?
the race pace is always better than the qualifying pace. apparently to do with the tyre warm up. i think this circuit suits them because straight line pace is less important. like Singapore for red bull in Mercedes domination years

yeah DRS makes sense because i was thinking its unheard of for Hamilton to be outqualifed by 3/4 second

whats up with gasly i was thinking earlier. hasnt had a decent race since baku id guess at. out in Q1 in Hungary & france, at fault for 1st lap incidents in Austria & Britain, then out in Q1 in Canada

whats up with gasly i was thinking earlier. hasnt had a decent race since baku id guess at. out in Q1 in Hungary & france, at fault for 1st lap incidents in Austria & Britain, then out in Q1 in Canada
He has become Kyvat Mark 2 . The car has been not as good and his stock has fallen so badly

I wonder if Steve Jones on Channel 4's F1 coverage is looking for a new job?

He signed off the qualifying coverage yesterday with "if you want to watch the race live then tune into Sky Sports F1 coverage but er... We'd very much like it if you'd join us here tomorrow"

If I was Channel 4 I would have raised an eyebrow there.

cider_and_toast in my annual watching of channel 4 last Saturday. i noticed that. im guessing it must be contractual. but it is strange because I cant imagine F1 fans after 10? years now, still dont know F1 is on sky

im enjoying the weather forecasts accuweather are contradicting themselves as they say no rain completely dry race but also on the radar. we have this massive rain cloud on the way 😄

Screenshot_20220731-134048_AccuWeather.jpg

Back
Top Bottom