Poll 2019 Singapore Grand Prix out of Ten

How did you rate the 2019 Singapore GP out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would have been interesting to see Vettel's reaction had the team actually ordered him to let Leclerc through. The fact they did not shows they either have given up on the driver's championship or a Leclerc is a No 2 and they want to massage Vettel's current bruised ego

It would have been interesting to see Vettel's reaction had the team actually ordered him to let Leclerc through. The fact they did not shows they either have given up on the driver's championship or a Leclerc is a No 2 and they want to massage Vettel's current bruised ego
No - the fact they did not shows that they are not complete buffoons. Whatever the real and full reason that Leclerc lost the lead to Vettel, the resulting situation meant that the simplest route to securing a 1-2 was to not do anything. This has everything to do with maximising points at the Singapore GP and nothing to do with egos or anything else.

Withe regards to the driver's championship, Hamilton is 96 points ahead of Leclerc and Verstappen, and 202 points ahead of Vettel. There are six races left. 96/6=16. So Hammy has to lose an average of 16 points a race to lose the WDC. It's as good as his I reckon. I've conveniently ignored Bottas in this as he's conveniently ignorable.

They (Binotto) openly said at the start of the season that Vettel was the #1 driver. The five times this season Vettel and Leclerc have ended the race within a place of each other, Vettel is always ahead. They have stuck with it throughout.

Now, I suspect the situation will be different in 2020 as Leclerc has proved himself (and Vettel looked the worse for it). So we may actually have two drivers allowed to compete with each other at Ferrari for next season. That could get entertaining. It has been a while since we have seen that.

Both Ferrari drivers agreed, that balance between front and back has been sorted out, which explains why they got some good results in recent races. No one from red team however wants to say, we are good for rest of the season. From tonnes of interviews I gather Mercedes blames their results on flawed strategy, which may change outcome of the next race. (Hamilton called Torger on the carpet right after race, so who knows what was said.)
What I am taking from last race is, that undercut allowing taking on fresh tire, and his speed produced results for Seb, regardless if other drivers and fans like it, or not. Story of Singapore.

No - the fact they did not shows that they are not complete buffoons. Whatever the real and full reason that Leclerc lost the lead to Vettel, the resulting situation meant that the simplest route to securing a 1-2 was to not do anything. This has everything to do with maximising points at the Singapore GP and nothing to do with egos or anything else.
I believe it was the only way to achieve a 1-2 in the end. If Ferrari had pitted Leclerc first and then Vettel on lap 20, then I assume Mercedes would have pitted Hamilton on lap 20 too. Mercedes only tried a different strategy after seeing that Leclerc lost the lead to Vettel thinking that Hamilton could somehow bridge the gap. Then, if Vettel had pitted on lap 20, he would have not only not overtaken Hamilton but also lost third to Verstappen, who like Leclerc pitted on lap 19.

They (Binotto) openly said at the start of the season that Vettel was the #1 driver. The five times this season Vettel and Leclerc have ended the race within a place of each other, Vettel is always ahead. They have stuck with it throughout.

Now, I suspect the situation will be different in 2020 as Leclerc has proved himself (and Vettel looked the worse for it). So we may actually have two drivers allowed to compete with each other at Ferrari for next season. That could get entertaining. It has been a while since we have seen that.

Leclerc is ahead in the championship and had momentum . He should be in 3rd place outright and another 7pts could be crucial. All Ferrari have done is stopped his momentum and made him angry at them rather than get him focus on hunting the Merc drivers. I hope he channels that anger and goes up another level because since Monaco I think only Hamilton has outscored him

Back
Top Bottom