Grand Prix 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying and Race Discussion

Round 1 - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir

And so our long, long wait is over. Practice one is now complete and let's just say there are a few suprises in the mix.
Both HRT cars failed to set a time but at least they did get one car out on the the track to turn a wheel in anger.
It's no suprise to see all 6 of the new teams propping up the grid and I think it's a sight that we will be all too familiar with this season.

Here are the final P1 timings (un-official) (Source - Autosport)
Pos  Driver         Team                   Time              Laps
1. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:56.583 18
2. Alonso Ferrari 1:56.766 + 0.183 18
3. Kubica Renault 1:57.041 + 0.458 19
4. Massa Ferrari 1:57.055 + 0.472 19
5. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:57.068 + 0.485 19
6. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:57.163 + 0.580 19
7. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:57.194 + 0.611 19
8. Rosberg Mercedes 1:57.199 + 0.616 15
9. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:57.255 + 0.672 17
10. Schumacher Mercedes 1:57.662 + 1.079 16
11. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:57.722 + 1.139 18
12. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:57.894 + 1.311 20
13. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:57.943 + 1.360 17
14. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:58.399 + 1.816 13
15. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:58.782 + 2.199 11
16. Petrov Renault 1:58.880 + 2.297 13
17. de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 2:00.250 + 3.667 18
18. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 2:01.388 + 4.805 11
19. Glock Virgin-Cosworth 2:03.680 + 7.097 8
20. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 2:03.848 + 7.265 21
21. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 2:03.970 + 7.387 15
22. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 2
23. Senna HRT-Cosworth 3
24. Chandhok HRT-Cosworth

Re: 2010 Bahrain GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

fat_jez said:
[quote="Cancer Cowboy":itpe0rym]Is it just me or the HRT car has the ugliest livery this season?

It's not going to be a problem, I suspect we won't see much of it this season.[/quote:itpe0rym]
I'm not so sure.
It's going to be on TV quite a lot as it's getting lapped LOL

Brogan said:
I'm not so sure.
It's going to be on TV quite a lot as it's getting lapped LOL

You're assuming they're going to be able to put two cars on the grid at every race LOL

Glock and di Grassi didn't have much luck with the Virgins did they?

Oh the fun we can have this season :D

In the big 4 teams, its 3-1 to the yellow hat brigade!

Rosberg bt Schumacher Vettel bt Webber Hamilton bt Button Massa bt Alonso

Nick Heidfeld by Barcelona, anyone?

Standout guys: Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg: Nico aiming for pole, casting a giant shadow over Michael Schumacher, showing great composure and appearing totally cool throughout todays practice and qualifying, bodes so well for the season.

Felipe throwing down an early and emphatic marker, saying "I'm not going to roll over and purr like a pussy Fernando!" :thumbsup:

Jenson, Mark and Michael struggling to keep up. Oh dear... :bored:

Of the top 10 drivers who went through to Q3, Sutil was the only one who set his grid time on hard tyres.
The other 9 could have problems with tyre wear early on and could see themselves being caught and passed by the midfield runners.

The BBC team seem to think that Rubens is the one to watch and I must admit to having a chuckle when they spoke to him after the race and asked how he felt about Schuey being in 7th? With a huge grin he said, "yeah, and I've got fresh tyres".

The thinking seems to be those on the green stripes have to stop in the first third of the race but the question is how much tyre degridation will there be in those early laps? Full tanks, A track that will be dirty and dusty and cars on softer tyres. It could throw the race wide open. We've alread seen the Mclaren eat tyres this weekend so it would seem they are going to find the going difficult.

Special mention to Force India. They seem to have produced a really tidy car this season but the question is can they maintain the pace of development of the other teams? What would be the odds of Sutil moving to a bigger team next season (I know, perhaps a bit early to start talking about that in race 1) and KC moving to FI. Wonder if there will be a vacancy for a German at a well known German orrientated team??

Now that we don't have to worry about fuel corrected times and can compare pace across all three qualifying sessions I think one of the real suprises was Vettels pace in Q2. His best lap of a 1.53.8 is almost .5 of a second faster than anyone else in any session. Now that really shows just how clear a speed advantage the RBR cars have.

Also while on the subject of .5 of a second, the good ship Heikki really does seem to be sinking fast. He is .5 of a second behind his team mate at Lotus. Equal testing laps, same equipment and same status, no excuses for Heikki there. He really is just slow.

cider_and_toast said:
Now that we don't have to worry about fuel corrected times...

Something strange still happened though. Only Massa went quicker in Q3 than he had gone in Q2. Everyone else dropped off in Q3. Why was this? Was Q3 run in cooler conditions, or was there some reconfiguration of the cars between the sessions, or what?

Fortunately there was only a difference of .29s between Sebastian and Fernando in quali 2 but it was a surprising turn of speed for the Red Bull. The race pace and consistency of the Red Bull hasn't exactly been turning heads during testing though, so the Ferrari guys won't be hanging their heads just yet.

McLaren though have some serious thinking to do, their middle sector times were often .7s off the pace through that qualifying session. They must be scratching their heads, :s wondering where all that lovely slow speed turn performance went over the winter! :dunno:

Good spot!
I wonder what the reason is for that, unless they used scrubbed/worn tyres in Q3 but I doubt it.

McLaren though have some serious thinking to do, their middle sector times were often .7s off the pace through that qualifying session. They must be scratching their heads, :s wondering where all that lovely slow speed turn performance went over the winter! :dunno:

That's just it, itsn't it. It's all well and good having a super dooper new fangled wing that can give you 5kph in a straight line but if the car dosn't turn corners you're in trouble.

Do the cars qualify under parc fermé conditions? Martin Brundle seemed to indicate this is the case during the broadcast, but McLaren's live timing thing quotes the pit radio telling Hamilton to "remember the white line and you'll be going into parc ferme."

To what extent can they change the car between Q2 (outright low-fuel speed) and Q3 (where they would need to compromise qually performance with filling up with fuel the next day)?

Can they change the ride height, dampers, springs, wing angles, etc.? Do they run the tyres in Q3 with a higher pressure to lift the car up a bit?

Anyone got any ideas?

C_a_T said:
That's just it, itsn't it. It's all well and good having a super dooper new fangled wing that can give you 5kph in a straight line but if the car dosn't turn corners you're in trouble.

Rather than using it to add 5kph on the straights, you'd think they'd use it to enable them to run higher downforce for the slow corners without sacrificing top speed. Doesn't seem to have played out that way today.

genji said:
cider_and_toast said:
Now that we don't have to worry about fuel corrected times...

Something strange still happened though. Only Massa went quicker in Q3 than he had gone in Q2. Everyone else dropped off in Q3. Why was this? Was Q3 run in cooler conditions, or was there some reconfiguration of the cars between the sessions, or what?

It is strange, my initial thought was that perhaps the cars have set up more compromised for Q3 to deal with the weight on the soft tyres but then I figured that the park ferme rules would apply as usual so the cars would be locked down from the start of Q1. Maybe it is just a case of not wanting to take too much out of the tyres as they will start on them.

This qually thing is a bit daft as I am sure there are plenty of news organisations writing that the Red Bull and Ferrari are streets ahead but at this point, we have no idea how compromised the low weight setup has been for the race fuel, for all we know at the moment, that Mercedes could be at a massive advantage at high weights over the others.

Still non the wiser about which is the best package myself, and any perceived advantage is amplified by the sheer length of the Bahrain circuit, especially with its stupid new section.

As for McLaren, isn't this the exact same problem they had last year at places like Spa where the car was epic in the 1st and third sector, in the tight technical sector 2 it was about a second off the pace. Perhaps the car is just not suited to that kind of track, more a point a squirt package.

Back
Top Bottom