Your second favourite F1 team?

I loved the Jordan team - until EJ sold it to that Russian oligarch
I also loved the Stewart team, until Ford mismanaged them to the point of oblivion (and failed to hang on to Justin Wilson). Red Bull have never lit my fire though.
I used to laugh at the BAR team until they got JB & Sato on board, then they started to get better & better, until the abysmal Honda "Earth Project". I wish Brawn had not sold out to Mercedes so quickly, as I'd have been more than happy to cheer them on for a bit longer.
McLaren always got my respect, if not outright love - things are better for me there now that JB & Lewis are pedalling their creations - they just have more of an air of humanity about them these days!
Ferrari have always been my pantomime villains - I just don't like the way they go racing, and red has never been my colour.
But for the sheer dizzying highs to impenetrable lows you really can't beat Williams - Mansell, Hill, Montoya made me shout with joy, while Half Schumacher, Nakajima and Maldonado make me grind my teeth in frustration. I had high hopes when Webber & Heidfeld joined, only for them to start the apparently inexorable slide down the grid. I never thought Villeneuve deserved the success he had with them either, and Prost was frankly anonymous when he strolled to his final title. I wish Frentzen had had a better lick of the lollipop while he was there, but at least he came good for Jordan afterwards!
Througout all the ups & downs & my support for other teams/drivers, I've always hoped Williams would do well - so they have to be my ultimate "No. 2" team.

Yeah - I know I just copied my response from Muzz for this Sly! Soz...

Bizarrely my second fave team use to be Red Bull, but since they became rivals to Mclaren and David retired i think my second faves would be either Sauber, Williams or Renault.

Love Mclaren so they're my no.1, no.2 would have to be either Sauber or Team Lotus as I really like Kobayashi and the way Peter Sauber conducts himself is great and often unseen in F1 nowadays. However I also like Kovalainen and how open their team is with the way Mike Gascoyne will always be willing to do a feature on the BBC. Lotus edges it I think.

I think in previous years I've always been a driver supporter. Well, even less than that really: a Hamilton supporter (with a bit of Kubica thrown in on the side, I guess) He made F1 exciting for me, made me sit down and watch races properly, rather than them being in the background as I was growing up.

This year however? Maybe my Formula One fanship has matured slightly, I don't know, but I've found myself supporting teams far more than drivers. Soft spots for Renault and Force India developed, and they now easily tie for my 'second team' after McLaren. I'll now happily cheer and support Button, even though as a driver I don't have as much admiration for him as many do. And that's just because he's at Mclaren. Similarly with Heidfeld at Renault, before he was just a German driver that was pretty decent, but now I'm happy when he finishes up the field and has drives like his one at Barcelona (nothing to do with the Fantasy F1 at all... *crosses finges*)

As for why I support McLaren, Renault, Force India etc? I don't know. Maybe that does stem from driver support.. I support Hamilton so I'll support McLaren, I like Kubica thus Renault, fondness for Sutil driving me towards Force India? That's easily possible. I'm a pretty new F1 fan, I don't have the links and memories to the history of the sport that most do: I'm still forming those right now really. But still, Kubica's (very sadly) out this season, Sutil's off the pace. Who do I support? Still the same teams. If Hamilton moved to Ferrari who would I support? Still McLaren. There's definitely been a large shift in my support in F1. I quite like that.

Can I add Super Aguri to this list now?

I found that in their short stay in F1 that their were a decent little outfit were just unlucky to come into F1 when the economy was going downhill. I still hope that one day they'll reform :).

I'm starting to find Sauber a bit boring these days.

To be honest, I don't think I support a team anymore.

Buemi's left Toro Rosso, never will have the love I had for Ferrari, I don't like what Lotus did in 2011, Force India is all over the place, McLaren's just the dark side for me, Red Bull, Mercedes and Williams are just meh, never liked Caterham.

Kind of liked Marussia out of the back three teams, and thought they had the potential to beat Caterham despite the disadvantages they've had. They along with Toro Rosso (not as much as before) are kind of my underdog teams.

With Raikkonen at Lotus, the team just seems refreshing, and the way they use PR is very cunning, but then there's the Bouillier factor, he just has a punchable face as he looks smug most of the time.

At the moment, probably Lotus and Marussia for me, but I wouldn't say I "support" them, more so "like".

Can't quite bring myself to follow Sauber after what they did to Kamui :no: Favourite now is probably Mercedes, second favourite either HRT or Super Aguri, and on the current grid, I'd go with Marussia :yes:

After a great deal of thought (about 30 seconds worth) my answer is: any team Kimi Raikkonen is in.

Were you a Ferrari fan between 2007 and 2009 ;)

My second favourite team of all time is Minardi. F1 was so much more fun with them around.

Back
Top Bottom