Current Williams

Discussion in 'Teams' started by FB, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/stroll-set-to-stay-at-williams-for-2019/

Just look at the comments below after this article pretty much everyone commented does not rate Stroll- think he is one of the worst drivers out there and denying other proven drivers and Williams are desperate for his Dad's money

The comment that amuses everyone is that " He has lived up to our expectations" by Claire Williams which is probably the most absurd statement given Williams were once a great team and should be setting the bar high. One front row start and one podium is not enough. If anything he should be starting to show how he can lead the team .. the last race he seems very immature and I keep saying this what expectations have Williams got this season?

They are last in the constructors ... I repeat LAST and it looks like both Sauber and Toro Rosso will improve because their engine partners have put the investment and are getting their act together.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    If anyone wants to watch EJ piece on how the mighty Williams and Mclaren have fallen that was shown at British Grand Prix today , its worth watching on the catch up

Unlike his take on Mclaren, he was not so brutal although apparently

Paddy Lowe might leave
    Porsche apparently want to buy the Williams team

gethinceri likes this.
  4. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I think the Williams family should offload the F1 team asp and concentrate on something else.

5. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Claire Williams spoke to C4 afterwards and said the Williams family live and breed Formula One and they have nothing else to fall back on because its all they know for the past 40 years

I admire Williams for this because remember the time when BMW thought they were being held back by Williams and then decided to quit and buy out Sauber only to quit F1 within 4years. That is why teams like Williams do matter more to F1 than manufacturers like BMW

So who is to say Porsche will not do the same thing if they can;t beat Ferrari or Mercedes or Red Bull Honda ?

Claire Williams emphatically denied the team is for sale even though C4 joked that Lawrence Stroll might want to buy the team

Everyone can see their driver line up is a real problem aside and getting rid of Massa they should have at least replaced him with another experienced driver

Sorry but how does doing 1000's of miles of testing in an old F1 car prepare for F1 with the new regulations which is what Lance Stroll did . What does the guy know about setting up the car ?

Sirotkin for his part at least has done time in F2 to deserve a shot and can only be measured against what Stroll has done despite not scoring a point

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    Well i could trot out the Profumo Affair quote but i won't.
    They need to sell it and soon, beffore it devalues the rest of their business.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  7. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Its about family pride and they would take the team to the grave with them if it does go under.

Claire Williams mentioned they have clever engineers whose skills are not utilised which to me suggests that Paddy Lowe probably is thinking of leaving

8. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I have this image of you as Mandy Rice Davis in my head now.

:sick:

9. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    Well that photo was Christime Keeler but I know what you mean.
    I do shave my legs though, if that helps.

Il_leone likes this.
  10. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yes, that photo was but the quote was made by MRD.

If you've ever seen the film Absolute beginners, she plays the lead character's mum. She's in the bit where Ray Davies sings the song "quiet life"

Anyway, we digress :D

11. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

Frank Williams won't sell willingly. What happens after he's gone is anyone's guess. Notwithstanding this and, all logic aside, to wish away the last of the racer turned entrepreneur founded and controlled teams would be just one more (large) nail in the F1 shaped coffin and act only to provide us F1 sofa kings a further reason to bitch over everything we believe F1 is, should, or used to be.

What Williams need and should be doing to survive is probably not a question we can answer.

gethinceri likes this.
  12. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing more than to see a young Damon / Jenson like driver come through and lead a rejuvenated Williams out of the doldrums and back onto the highest ground of F1 but how that's ever going to happen under their current leadership, plus the regulations and format of modern F1 is anyone's guess?

Sir Frank is no spring chicken and there will come a time in the not too distant future when he'll hang up his head set so one last taste of success would be awesome.

As you say Grizzly he's the last of a generation.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  13. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

Jacques Villeneuve says Williams is dead, so there is hope yet as most of his comments seem to emanate from his rectumLOL

14. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I have just read a transcript of the article and to be honest JV is not far wrong. In fact he was more brutal than EJ in his review of Williams on the F1 show last week

He's been vocally critical of Lance Stroll as the worst rookie ever - who incidentally now is considering taking his Dad's money to Force India

Williams shot themselves in the foot with the driver line up appointment- how can you justify promoting Stroll on the basis he's been trying to learn how to drive an F1 car that is 3 years out of date for a start

JV has fallen out with the team and he is especially critical of Claire Williams whose background is PR being the team leader instead of Jonathan because Frank thought he was weak :thinking::unsure:. Now Williams need a strong man to lead them. He thinks the management is the problem because they lack direction. I have to say he is true if Williams - a legend of the sport starts to hire two pay per drivers these days then you can see how far they have sank

The article also mentions about Williams are trying to look at making better use of internal resources rather than look for someone from the outside. Paddy Lowe's position is not safe as he seems you know

Their other problem is Martini are leaving F1 so no title sponsor and plus the lost money from where they are languishing in the constructors will hurt as well along with Stroll's money
    \
    Things look very bleak for Williams

15. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  16. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    hello Williams & welcome to 2016

Williams was "blindsided" by early turbo hybrid success

17. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    What a load of wishy washy garbage. I miss a competitive Williams, as one of the last of the old guard teams, and that claptrap in the article does them no favours.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  18. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    its garbage because everyone can see from the outset what the problems are which is all happening under the stewardship of Claire Williams. I have to say JV is right that Claire's stewardship is a problem and needs to addressed

It was always a considerably daft move putting accepting Stroll's money and risk sliding down the grid . It does not happen overnight and the Mercedes engine really masked a lot of problems.

Her role is a glorified PR officer but that aint going to help the team move back up the grid by saying nice things to the press all the time

19. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-m...chosen-on-talent-alone-idUKKCN1MT2QS?rpc=401&

Same spiel from Claire with a different driver . I remember she said the same things last year about her current drivers but lets hope Russell proves he is far more capable than the current two incumbents otherwise Claire needs to go

Currently Useless - Williams

Whilst he is on the shortlist - the only he has is to be racing competitively and show he still has the ability to do F1 but its getting harder for him to convince people at the moment. I feel if Mercedes can't get an agreement about Ocon with Williams then their next choice will be Sirotkin not Kubica

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  20. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    To be honest my money is on Markalov.

21. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives C4 yesterday particularly Eddie Jordan was trying to egg out of Claire Williams that Ocon has signed for the team as well. She did not deny it either

22. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    They were chatting to force india new boss omar (far too complicated surname to spell) & talking about wearing sombreros for perezs re-signing. What will you be wearing for 2nd driver, he joked a canadian mountie sounded good

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice