Why F1?

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Angel, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Just wondering what got everyone into F1? I mean we all love the sport, but I am guessing we all found it in different ways and at different times in our lives, so what got you into watching it?

My dad used to watch it now and again when I was a kid but he was never what you'd call a fan. So I saw some bits and pieces then. After I got married my then husband started to get into it, for years I resisted watching it with him but eventually in the early 1990s I had an 'if you can't beat them, join them' moment and began watching it more seriously I soon started to realise I really liked it. In 1995 I watched an entire season and began to learn lots more about it and I've been hooked ever since.

When I got divorced in 2000 one of the few things I missed about my lying, cheating ex was our shared love of F1. I suddenly found I had no one to talk to about it. Then a couple of years later I found the internet and forums!! It was great, suddenly I found people to share my love of the sport with and I'm still enjoying doing that here and now with you good people. :D

So that's my F1 story. What's yours?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Late 90s on Sunday afternoons at home with nothing to do other than watch tv I would catch a race every now and then. I was intrigued by the racers, their sill and specially their last names. I mean c’ommon! : Barrichello, Fisichella, Schumacher, Coulthard, Montoya. I was also a Ferrari fan ever since I was a kid. - I had a poster of Gilles on the wall in my room - My friend was a Porsche fan and thus there was a rivalry ( what is better a F40 or a 959?) At some point everything clicked. I’ve been following closely since then. Lately I feel like quitting though. I’m not sure if I love f1 y the same I did back in the day.

Angel likes this.
  4. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    My dad watched it, so I watched it. then Nigel mania happened and I was hooked.

Angel likes this.
  5. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I would have been 3-4 years old for the 1976 season so missed that, but remember watching on the tiny TV we had in the late 70s early 80s. It was Lauda, Senna and Prost that got me hooked. I met James Hunt on Wimbledon common a couple of times in the 80s too, and that cemented things a bit more. Forgive this digression but this thread's given me a chance to tell the story of how I met him.

He had a dog called Oscar and I had a dog called Busker, we both used to walk them on Wimbledon common. My dog was an unruly mutt and wanted to either fight or mate with all other dogs. Occasionally I'd let him off the lead in an attempt to train him more. Like many times, this particular day it backfired. I was aged about 12, walking Busker on the common. Busker saw something and froze, then raced towards a rather large Alsatian in the distance that I hadn't spotted, and promptly started a fight - not clever being about two-thirds the size of this other dog. I chased towards this unfurling mess shouting 'Busker, Busker!' with all my might, and Hunt's shouting 'Oscar, Oscar!' from the other side. I was certainly confused for a bit because I thought he knew my dog and couldn't work out how. Once we'd pulled them apart and I'd apologised for my dog, I asked him if his dog was also called 'Busker' and he laughed, explaining that he'd also thought that I knew his dog's name. Wasn't until quite a bit later I realised it was James Hunt.

Bill Boddy, rufus_mcdufus and Angel like this.
  6. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Him in the shirt watched it, I tolerated it. Then I watched Nigel Mansel overtake Piquet on the line for the win and my life changed for ever.

Angel likes this.
  7. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

Probably in the early 70s when it used to be on telly occasionally, usually seemingly unplanned in the middle of Grandstand when they cut away from horse racing or something. I can't remember seeing entire races. I wasn't aware of many of the drivers and their personalities, though obviously the likes of Graham Hill and James Hunt were well-known and very amusing. It really clicked in the early 80s for me and I can remember Monaco 82 when I was absolutely glued to the TV (the ending where about 5 or 6 different drivers all conked out in the last few laps for various reasons). My interest came and went in it until the early 90s or so and it's become a regular thing ever since, though got a bit bored in the mid-2000s I seem to remember and don't remember much of Alonso winning the championship twice.

Angel likes this.
  8. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I got into F1 when James Hunt became Champion and I loved it through the 80s and early 90s. Like a heroin addict I've been chasing that same high for a very long time but it just gets shitter and shitter.

Angel, cider_and_toast and Andyoak like this.
  9. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

I came a little later... Alan Jones.

As for the heroin allegory.
    Had an interesting night in Sinai once.
    Accidentally set myself alight and almost bought a camel...

A misspent youth.

F1 is better for you than opium.
    But not at the moment :)

(Only because I have fallen out of love with F1)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Angel and cider_and_toast like this.
  10. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I was going to say it was through my parents but on thinking about it, my uncle would go to British GP's in the early 80 and pass on the programmes to me.

A lot of those GP's were sponsored by JPS so the programmes were black and gold and so were the Lotus cars and I loved the way they looked.

The first GP I clearly remember watching was the 86 British GP with the first corner crash. I think I may have watched some coverage in 85 but can't clearly remember it.

The combination of Senna and the black and gold Lotus had me hooked.

Angel likes this.
  11. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    I think people know my story. But yeah 1998 we dont live in age we do know. Belgian gp on sunday was 20yrs since the 1st race i can remember. On sunday afternoon it was watch tv or play outside. Being this is Britain it rained for 90% of the yr. & it always happened both qualifying & race happened during lunch. So after youve watched 1/2 of something. You want to see how these things finish

Then week after week it becomes part of the routine you get to know the Drivers. Jenson button concreted it 2000. As nice as hill & herbert were as i finally had a brit of the new guard. Brit i could be a fan of that still lasts today as follow him in WEC. Also when your younger its was a great thing for me & my dad to do together that we still do

Also remember getting this for Christmas. Although the gameplay looks alot worse than i remember 51aOKw4l7DL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Andyoak and Angel like this.
  12. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    1990 French Grand Prix. My dad had always watched it on or off (I have memories of seeing Suzuka 1989) but it was this race and the drama of Ivan Capelli nearly winning when even I knew he really shouldn't be able too that hooked me in. Became as obsessed as only a 9 year old can there after. Had the highlights of every race from then until the end of the 1996 season videoed and used to watch them constantly on repeat.

Angel likes this.
  13. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Having written the above I suddenly remembered something I'd completley forgotten about. The highlights of the 1990 Australian Grand Prix didn't record and being 9 I was massively upset and cried my eyes out. My parents suggested that I write to Murray Walker, sending a video tape, explaining what a huge fan I was and how upset I was that the highlghts didn't record. So I did. 3 weeks later a parcel arrived and I was massively excited. Someone at the BBC had obviously posted it all on to him and I opened up the parcel with so much excitement. All it contained was my blank video tape and a snotty short letter from Murray saying he didn't grant this sort of request and not to write to him again :(

Two years later I saw Mr Walker walk straight past a group of kids asking for his autograph at the NEC motorshow to go and talk to some adults wanting the same thing. I guess Murray is not a fan of children. Still love his commentary though.

14. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    No, it wasn't just kids.

I was at the Silverstone Classic a few years ago with the wife. She spotted Murray exiting a tent where he'd been signing books and asked him for his autograph. He turned her down explaining that she should have purchased a book and then he would have signed it.

Miserable old git.

I lost all respect for Murray when he slagged off James Hunt in an interview during a tribute to Hunt. He was the only one interviewed during the programme who could barely muster a nice thing to say about him. Yes, hunt had a lot of flaws but there's a time and place to air them.

You are right though Ras, Murray's commentary was an essential part of the race weekend.

Angel likes this.
  15. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Some great stories there, thanks for sharing them :):thumbsup:

16. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    I feel quite disappointed at those murray walker stories. As i hoped he was like a lovely grandad who always wanted to help out. As commentary was & still is unrivalled

17. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Well if it makes you feel better F1Brits_90 when I wrote to Murray Walker and asked for a signed photo he sent me a nice one and he put my name on it and everything. Mind you so did many drivers, Mika Hakkinen even sent me a goody bag with stickers and so on. Now David Coulthard wouldn't send a picture unless I joined his fan club. I liked him but I didn't like him that much!!

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  18. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I’ve just gone off Murray Walker big time. He used to enrage me during the races anyway, how he ever kept his job was a major puzzle for me. He got so many things wrong. But he was an F1 institution, who knows how.
    But now I find that he was an arrogant sod, so up himself he couldn’t be nice to kids, or those who hadn’t seen fit to spend money on him.. I can’t tell you how angry I feel on behalf of you guys.

Angel and cider_and_toast like this.
  19. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    My mum wrote to Team Lotus for my 18th Birthday (1992) saying I was a huge fan and could they send anything. I got a an A4 Hard back envelope through the post addressed to me, stuffed full of signed pics of Mika and Johnny, sponsorship stickers from the car, badges and patches. I was over the moon.

rufus_mcdufus, Titch and Angel like this.
  20. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I agree Titch, it does put you off someone when you find out they're like that in real life. I would have liked to have said maybe he was having a bad day, but it's clearly a lot more than that, unless he had an awful lot of bad days.
    They do say never meet the people you admire.... seems Murray is a case in point sadly.

21. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    very true, they say never meet your heroes as you'll always be disappointed

Angel likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice