1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whisky or whiskey, single malt or blended?

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Brogan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Brogan

Brogan Running Man Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Prompted by sobriety's post - "*whiskey (and that is the right spelling when you're drinking Redbreast)", is anyone else into the amber nectar?

I'm a whisky man myself and like a single malt, but not too peaty, although I have had bottles of Lagavulin and Oban bought for birthdays.

I tend to be a bit of a seasonal drinker when it comes to whisky though.
    Hardly ever in the summer but as soon as the nights get dark and cold, nothing beats a nice glass of scotch.

P.S. For those who didn't know, Whisky is from Scotland, Whiskey is from Ireland or America.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. fat jez

fat jez Race Winner Valued Member

Single malt, preferably from the Highlands and not Islands, as Island malts tend to be more smoky or peaty. Took me ages to finish a bottle of Taslisker, but Glenmorangie goes down easily, as does my local distillery, Glengoyne.

4. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Single malt every time. Like 'em nice and smokey. A laphroaig always goes down well.

Having said that I did treat myself to a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label which is superb.

5. GeoffP

GeoffP Thank you and good night Contributor

Single Malt for me too - a bit of a Scotch collector, and periodically I try another recommended blend, but it doesn't quite cut it.

I find I enjoy all styles, including the peaty versions - one suggestion is if you find the peaty Scotch a little too much try adding a little water, it really lightens that peaty taste and makes it more of an aroma.

Two simple generalities:

American Whiskey - Single Distilled
    Scotch Whisky - Double Distilled
    Irish Whiskey - Triple Distilled

Irish Whiskey was the whiskey of choice in England until the Irish revolution/independence in the 1920's which led to trade embargos - as a result the Scottish whisky trade was deemed to be the 2nd best option and so flourished filling the gap. nfortunately the Irish Whisky trade suffered, but I would recommend anyone going on a binge to Dublin to go to the Jameson brewery and give "Middleton" a try. One of the best, relatively affordable Whiskies I've tried.

Hic

6. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Has anyone tried cask strength whisky?

I think it's around 60% proof and is intended to be drunk with water.
    A cousin of mine insists on drinking it neat though and I can't imagine it's too good like that.

7. GeoffP

GeoffP Thank you and good night Contributor

I have some Bladnoch that is 56% and some at 55% - I have tried them neat, it's not something I'd recommend, and really hides the depth of flavour...

8. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    The first single malt made in England for about a century has attracted the interest of UK whisky enthusiasts.

St George's Distillery, a family-run Norfolk company, is behind the drink.

Managing Director James Nelstrop said production of the whisky, which is being sold for £35 a bottle, was the culmination of a "45-year-old dream".

The distillery was built in Roudham, south Norfolk, in 2006, and now, after three years maturing its first batch, it has produced whisky.
    B|B|C English whisky bottled for first time in a century

9. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The big question is "is it any good?"

At £35 pound a bottle it's certainly reasonably priced if its a good one.

Think I'll wait for a review but I'm tempted. It appeals to my patriotic side. :D

10. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    First of all do I win a prize for resurrecting a 2009 thread?

So whisky.

Favourite is Oban 14 year old, just a shame it is so bloody expensive.
    Second favorite is Glenfiddich 12 year old.
    I also very much like Glen Kinchie, Glen Rothes, Glen Goyne and Edradour

I do enjoy a smokey Islay whisky, Lagavlin and Caol Ila in particular, just not as much as non-smokey.

I am continually trying different whiskies, with so many to choose from it would be a shame not to try them all LOL

Distileries tours done:
    Edradour
    Deanston
    Blair Athol
    Tobermorey
    GlenGoyne

I might have a problem :thinking::)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Titch likes this.
  11. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Not a problem.
    A hobby.

Had to wean myself off whiskey for my own good.
    One of the main reasons I got expelled from school!

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  12. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yum. Got into single malts about 10 years ago. Dived in, sampled loads, bought a book, started to be able to discern taste subtleties of various type - then settled on Laphroaig, and Talisker. My wife is has Punjabi roots, I go to a lot of Indian weddings and functions, and there's alwys plenty of Glenfiddich knocking about, musn't grumble. But the smokier the better for me, so the Islay malts are right up my mash tun.

Share This