Poll Where would you race?

Where would your ideal season race?

• Total voters
I'm not blind to corporate necessity, so I would say possibly a longer rotational basis, keeping certain Grands Prix sacrosanct and visiting some more rarely:

f-one.jpg

Obviously, I don't believe you could run Spa every year if this kind of thing came in, but other than that, what do you think.

Key: AD = Abu Dhabi, Mel = Melbourne, Fuj = Fuji, Sep = Sepang, Sha = Shanghai, Imo = Imola, Bar = Catalunya, Ist = Istanbul, VRT = Valencia Ricardo Tormo, Mtc = Monte Carlo, Nur = Nurburgring, Mtr = Montreal, NJ = New Jersey, Mgc = Magny-Cours, PR = Paul Ricard, Sil = Silverstone, Hoc = Hockenheim, Soc = Sochi, Hun = Hungaroring, Spa = Spa-Francorchamps, Mza = Monza, Suz = Suzuka, Sin = Singapore Marina Bay, Yeo = Yeongam, Bud = Buddh International Circuit, Aus = Austin, TX, Int = Interlagos

I'm not blind to corporate necessity, so I would say possibly a longer rotational basis, keeping certain Grands Prix sacrosanct and visiting some more rarely:

View attachment 2687

Obviously, I don't believe you could run Spa every year if this kind of thing came in, but other than that, what do you think.

Key: AD = Abu Dhabi, Mel = Melbourne, Fuj = Fuji, Sep = Sepang, Sha = Shanghai, Imo = Imola, Bar = Catalunya, Ist = Istanbul, VRT = Valencia Ricardo Tormo, Mtc = Monte Carlo, Nur = Nurburgring, Mtr = Montreal, NJ = New Jersey, Mgc = Magny-Cours, PR = Paul Ricard, Sil = Silverstone, Hoc = Hockenheim, Soc = Sochi, Hun = Hungaroring, Spa = Spa-Francorchamps, Mza = Monza, Suz = Suzuka, Sin = Singapore Marina Bay, Yeo = Yeongam, Bud = Buddh International Circuit, Aus = Austin, TX, Int = Interlagos

You have obviously thought about this quite a bit, tby :)

My view is that there is a limit to the number of races you can expect the teams to do every year and as there are more venues than slots you can either do this based on who pays the most, or something better than that like you suggest.

You're right TBY... more rotation is inevitable, especially in the 'traditional' European races where there isn't government support.

Looks a pretty good pattern but I'd like to see a circuit league where the lowest attendance each year (as a percentage of capacity) gets dropped and replaced with a new venue. Whoever is dropped has to wait 3 years before applying to host again.

Looks a pretty good pattern but I'd like to see a circuit league where the lowest attendance each year (as a percentage of capacity) gets dropped and replaced with a new venue. Whoever is dropped has to wait 3 years before applying to host again.

That would be great, but Bernie is not going to like it!

A circuit like Abu Dhabi has 'only' around 25000 seats, so they have a higher chance of having full capacity than circuits like, say, China, so circuits may deliberately take down and close stands to bump up their percentage, so it may not work, as many circuits would abuse the rule as to reduce the capacity so much just to have a place in the calendar.

....I'd like to see a circuit league where the lowest attendance each year (as a percentage of capacity) gets dropped and replaced with a new venue. Whoever is dropped has to wait 3 years before applying to host again.

Bernie already runs a system like that, but instead of attendance he uses the amount of money that the circuit pay.

Maybe the answer is to learn from football... F1 circuits are the equivalent of Premier League clubs and they have to have facilities and seating capacity to reflect their success. Shouldn't there be a minimum capacity for attendance.

Maybe the answer is to learn from football... F1 circuits are the equivalent of Premier League clubs and they have to have facilities and seating capacity to reflect their success. Shouldn't there be a minimum capacity for attendance.

But it's not the capacity which is in question at races like Malaysia, China and Turkey. They all have plenty of spectator capacity, it's the lack of spectators.

I was thinking of ways to address the risk of circuits limiting capacity to increase the percentage of attendance and so stay on the calendar.

Frankly what the F1 hierarchy should do is ask the drivers, teams, broadcasters and fans. But of course they won't do that. It would make too much sense.

I was thinking of ways to address the risk of circuits limiting capacity to increase the percentage of attendance and so stay on the calendar.

I don't quite see what relevance that has, surely it's the absolute numbers that they should be looking at. Or in the case of Bernie, the absolute money.

Back
Top Bottom