Television Whats on TV?

I've been watching an incredible documentary series called Apocalypse: WWI recently and I've become fascinated by the relationships of the closely related rulers in the lead-up to this conflagration. Searching for something that focused more on these complicated familial ties throughout the Continent at the turn of the century I stumbled upon the BBC documentary 'Royal Cousins at War' and found it very enlightening. This aspect of WWI is barely touched upon in US History and it's a shame because it really is such a remarkable insight into an era that was quickly disappearing.

So have you guys seen the BBC piece 'Royal Cousins at War'? I think it was on within the last year or so. And as always I can provide it if necessary. :)

Watched it a couple of months ago. It is fascinating and, as you say, rarely touched upon when dissecting the reasons for the Great War.

I was taught it was all down to the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and the struggle for empires; when it actually seems it was more to do with inter-family rivalry.

Makes the whole thing even more pointless!!

Have you guys seen 'Boardwalk Empire' over there in the UK? Fantastic show.

It's in its fifth and final season with just two episodes left, so if you've never seen it you've got some catching up to do. :D

Yeah I've been watching, seemed to have lost its punch since season 3, I've been saving up season 5 to watch in one hit over a weekend.

Boardwalk Empire is fantastic - totally immersive. I just love it.
Also watching:

The Walking Dead (season 5 premiere the other day - wow! I believe it scored a record number of cable viewers in the US?)
The Good Wife
The Blacklist (struggling a bit with this season)
Sons Of Anarchy (ditto)
About to start new series of Homeland, Resurrection, and some thing else I've forgotten. There's too many series at the moment.

I've also discovered Wheeler Dealers on Quest channel on Freeview! Completely addicted to it.
Love the quizzes on Monday night too - Only Connect and Uni Challenge.

Too many seasons, too little viewing time...

The Blacklist - watched the first season, won't bother with the second one. Couldn't stand the female lead, but enjoyed watching James Spader ham it up. Too silly for words.

Homeland - thoroughly enjoyed seasons 1 & 2, intrigued by S3 - will save it up on the Sky+ box for those long winter evenings.

The Leftovers - just started this, will see how it goes. How anyone thought Christopher Ecclestone could do an American accent is beyond me though!

Boardwalk Empire - got S1 on DVD for Xmas last year, watched the first few & got stalled on it

Resurrection - we started it, but as soon as herself realised it was a US remake of a French series she'd already seen (the Returned, I think?), we binned it off the Sky+ box.

Gomorrah - tried, but failed. Binned it off.

Fargo - loved it. Still saved on the box, for repeat viewings. Billy Bob Thornton was superb, as was Martin Freeman.

DVD box sets I'm dipping into:

BrBa - introducing S4 & 5 to herself, having already watched them. I was a bit disappointed to hear they're going to make another series, frankly - I liked how they ended it.

Battlestar Galactica (the new ones) - was given the whole lot on DVD by a friend, so I'm a few episodes into S1. Not bad, actually.

Farscape - stalled a few episodes into S2. Must pick this up again!

Band of Brothers - a proper classic, seen many times, still fail to get bored by it!

The Clone Wars series - enjoying these more than I expected to! Much better than Episode 2 (particularly the acting...)

Babylon 5 - just because it was the best sci-fi series ever (I will not argue about this - it just was, ok?)

All this, and I still find time for Playstation, F1, gardening, band stuff and model-making. If only I didn't have to go to work as well...

The next Fargo is in production. Different set of actors and set in a different time (late 70s I think). Should be interesting. Another show that's done the same is "True Detective" which should be back early next year.

I struggled a bit with Justified and gave up halfway through season 1, largely because they were self-contained episodes and a bit formulaic. I read that later seasons are actually series so maybe I'll give it another go.
The lead actor in Justified was in Deadwood which is a wonderful series, and the best thing Ian McShane has ever been in!

Last edited:
My point is that people do watch I'm a celeb GMOOH and kids are going to ask who Kendra Wilkinson is.

Little boy: Mummy what is Kendra famous for.
Mother: Oh she is a playboy bunny who has a 'leaked' sex tape.
Little boy: Oh ok, can I go on the computer.

I just watched the opening credits to some crappy, shit, bollocks, **** tit ****ing shitty pathetic shitting bollocks program called "The Real Housewives of Cheshire" I had to turn it off before I puked up on my keyboard, firstly who the **** dreamt up this twatting puss filled mindless ****ing garbage, and secondly what kind of mindless ****ing moron would even contemplate watching such a complete load of twatting bollocks.

I'm off to slam me ****ing head in a door until I am either dead or I forget I ever clicked on the ****ing stupid bollocking program..

And if those are real housewives they can all **** off and die....

Last edited:
Always late to the party but the Mrs and I were stuck whilst the walking dead was off so we watched 24 all of them, in a row. Bloody brilliant (except 12, the uk based mini series)

"Dammit Mr President"

LOL

Watched the first episode of 12 Monkeys the other day.

Seems promising - will be interesting to see how it develops and whether it can translate well from a movie to a series.

Back
Top Bottom