Wet races: Good or bad?

Do you enjoy wet races?

• Total voters
The only exciting thing about a wet race is the anxious moments before the first driver switches back to slicks, if the first driver gets it wrong, he becomes the template for all other drivers to stay on wet tyres, if however he gets it right, he will be so much faster than other cars and by the time they react and pit, the fortunate driver could be leading the race.

The opposite to this tyre stratergy could be deciding if full wets are required or intermediates, some drivers would slide off the track whilst attempting to make their intermediates work, the driver on the correct wet tyre could luck into the win of a race.

I think Barichello did that in his Ferrari using full wets and overtaking every car ahead of him, he chose full wets whilst others were trying to make their inters work.

Sometimes you need a bit of rain to "freshen" things up, bring an extra bit of intrigue to the racing.

Can I change my vote? I have just been kicked off the TV by my wife... "seeing as there is nothing going on, can I watch something else?" :(.

Fortunately we have the online coverage, so its laptop and headphones now

So... Wet races once up and running are pretty amazing. They show a different skill set of a driver, look at schumi for example, setting fastest race times at one point. They show what drivers are really willing to drive the car on the "ragged edge". Seeing the cars on the inters drive on the wet patches and the cars on slicks tip toe on the dry line was amazing and shows the fine margins required with heavy penitlies for going off line. I don't really approve of monsoons though as often no-one can exell and safety car processions are boring. Rather see incapable drivers in the wet be penalised that safety cars.

So.. where am I going with this?
Well historically wet races have been amazing and In my view always will be.
Just my opinion though.

So... Wet races once up and running are pretty amazing. They show a different skill set of a driver, look at schumi for example, setting fastest race times at one point. They show what drivers are really willing to drive the car on the "ragged edge". Seeing the cars on the inters drive on the wet patches and the cars on slicks tip toe on the dry line was amazing and shows the fine margins required with heavy penitlies for going off line. I don't really approve of monsoons though as often no-one can exell and safety car processions are boring. Rather see incapable drivers in the wet be penalised that safety cars.

So.. where am I going with this?
Well historically wet races have been amazing and In my view always will be.
Just my opinion though.

It's a good point, the monsoon type races are crap, it is the variability that makes for a great wet race. The drying track, switching tyres and different skill set needed. It also means driver error is (more) punished due to the wet. And generally the drivers have to stay within the white lines (well drying line).

After today, I refer everyone to my earlier post - you get to see some proper skill in mixed-conditions. They were right to red-flag it when they did, and the racing we got when the track started to dry out was brilliant.

I'm not sure yesterday counts as a wet race or a damp one, whenever it was wet enough to justify 'extreme wets' the Safety Car was out.

Damp races: Good.
Wet races: Banned.

Back
Top Bottom