Wet races: Good or bad?

Do you enjoy wet races?

• Total voters
Interlagos 2008 was a Historic wet race of course, made all the more dramatic by the changing conditions. But there have been some complete washouts there, with the infamous 'rivers' that can flow across the track around turns 2 and 3.

Does anyone actually know the degradation levels of wet tyres, I wonder if anyone would try a 0 stopper if it consistently rained on Sunday.

There is no way that anybody could complete a race distance on one set of 2011 Pirelli's.

Every now and then a wet race is good for a bit of enjoyment. When it got going Korea was great, totally unpredictable. Doesn't guarantee a good race - GB 2002 for example. Changeable conditions are also great to watch as drivers and teams call the weathers bluff, the cars are out of position, and Nick Heidfeld almost wins a race.

Also I find it funny that hater-of-rain Felipe Massa had his best shot at the title in the wettest season ever (5 races). Talk about bad luck.

I'm not a massive fan of wet races. I know it's a different skill set but I think I get too nervous watching them. I don't like seeing accidents (which often affects someone minding their own business) and I don't like strategy deciding races which in variable conditions it often does. If it's constant full wet conditions then that's different but it rarely is.

Wet races almost always distort the results.

But hey, that's part of being in the great outdoors!

Does anyone else really not enjoy wet races?

I just find them all a bit of a lottery, especially if it starts raining during the race as it's pure luck as to where the drivers are in relation to the pit lane entry.

Then of course there's the increased risk of a safety car - another lottery.

You raise a very good point of it being a "lottery"...but so can be dry races, like we saw recently in Monaco, Kobayashi finishing 5th?? Seems like this season the dry races are kind of like lotterys down the field, Perez in Australia etc. Everyone is gambling on strategy this season, it is effectively the same as a wet race strategy wise.

I enjoy races, but when there's a title race around and your favourite driver (or the driver you are backing for the title) is in the title hunt, you want a dry race.

The thing about recent wet races is, safety car starts and starting behind the safety car for a quarter of the race, it kind of ruins it, everyone after the race in Fuji 07 were complaining that the race shouldn't have got the go ahead, back when they had Traction Control, but what a race that was!

Another thing about wet races, the top cars that are great in dry races, aren't as good in the wet, it gives the smaller teams a chance, it also gives a driver in a lesser car to prove his talent.

This season, I would definitely prefer wet races to dry races, it will juggle up the order, Vettel would less likely to win, Hamilton is less likely to get second, and Alonso is less likely to get 3rd. It will be good for the championship, plus the overtakes will be more skill involved with DRS not about.

2004 and 2005 basically didn't have wet races, and they weren't exciting seasons. Meanwhile, 1999, 2007 and 2008 had a lot of wet races along with 2010, the latter two being the best seasons I have witnessed with 2010 following closely behind.

Cataluyna used to be a regular wet race but there hasn't been a drop of rain at the track in the race for a long long time.

Now and then again rain it's ok, but definitely not monsoons which can cause a race to be delayed and red flagged.

Wet is good - providing they don't muck about and come up with political excuses as to why they shouldn't just to satisfy the teams constructors title ambitions ...

I want to watch a race, whatever the conditions and may the best car win!

What I really enjoy are those conditions, whereas one part of the track is dry, and the other part maybe damp or wet. Spa and the old Hockenheim track had seen some fantastic races, because of these coditions. Rubens first race win at Hockenheim comes immediately to my mind.

At times Silverstone in 2008 was like that as it was dry in the main straight but raining at stowe

Until this year I would hope for wet / dry races to be honest, just to mix things up a bit and reduce the predictability. I'm with you all on the monsoon races, especially after China 2009. That said, some of the greatet drives in history have come in the worst conditions. Senna Monaco 84 and Estoril 85. Lewis at Silverstone and Vettel at Monza in 08 also show how the weather can also highlight those that are good, but suffer from a bad car.

This year could do with Seb having his own private raincloud to slow him down, but judging by his team mates mood this year, the cloud seems to be over the wrong red bull.

I've voted yes. Perhpas not so much because i enjoy wet races, but i enjoy Formlua 1 races (most of the time) in whatever conditions there in.

I don't really buy this 'lottery' stuff. In Wet races it puts more empthasis on driver skill and levels the playing field a bit in terms of car performance. A differnt skill set too perhaps, but don't see how that should be de-valued. Wet-Dry races Its a test of tactical nous, intelligence, and a drivers feeling for the car and its grip cababilty.

Yeah sometimes it all goes a bit mad, but that can happen in very GP, and if you looks at the stats, ill bet my house there is a 'usual trend'

Wet races also show the relative skill levels of each driver, as rain is a sort of "equalizer" between the cars, it can show the audience the good drivers from the great drivers, ... and Karthikeyan.

Back
Top Bottom