Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

Izumi
The stats says says so and the only other competitor is Vettel. Maybe it is some sort of pyschological ploy to play mind games with the two new bosses at Ferrari to show their support for Vettel and make them admit he is No 1 in their team because the last few races seems to show a bit of indecisiveness in driver management which have cost Ferrari and Vettel points

It did not take long for Red Bull to make their mind up who to partner Max seeing they had no one left to pick from Hartley or Gasly . It aint a difficult is it ?

Gasly - Alex Lynn must be sick seeing one time he might well of been driven for Red Bull and decided to chose a wrong turn in his career to go with Williams. I mean he was considered around the same time as Sainz and Verstappen and beat Gasly when they were teammates in Gp2

Okay next conundrum who will Toro Rosso throw into their cars and is it going to be tied to Mclaren getting James Key early or not?

Romain Grosjean denies Ferrari hope inspired Haas F1 team move

This is a bit of a late admission by Grosjean saying he did not join Haas with a view with signing for Ferrari in the future :whistle::facepalm:. Its a bit of a PR blunder if you ask me when 4 years ago you admitted you had a chance to join Ferrari and then the way Haas was set up so the Ferrari guys could gain some feedback to consider whether you're still a top driver for Ferrari. Its almost admitting Haas you're only option left

Grosjean I think will be gone this season. He just too unreliable. Its a shame he lost the form he had in 2013 as he was brilliant then. In a very underfunded enstone team. id love vergne or buemi at toro rosso i still believe they some of best drivers not in F1

Still on the fence about gasly still thought to get a red bull seat of the back of 2 races when outside of Bahrain & Hungary he not finished in the points. & hes 1 of weakest F2 champs of recent yrs. Makes me think kyvat part 2 hope he proves me wrong. Although i enjoyed the stat someone said in Melbourne red bull combined age 44 & Kimi Raikkonen 39

I thought Magnussen was confirmed too, thing is we've all seen scenarios where drivers have been signed/confirmed before and not ended up in the seat after all. As Bill Boddy reminded us in the other thread Sauber signed four drivers for two seats the other year. Contracts always seem to have a get out clause that either side can use if they need to.
So yeah, it could potentially go either way yet still.
Ok....I did check this and it turns out that Haas has an option on him for 2019. They said they were going to keep him, but I gather have not exercised the option yet. So........

Ok....I did check this and it turns out that Haas has an option on him for 2019. They said they were going to keep him, but I gather have not exercised the option yet. So........
Ahh, having an option on a driver isn't the same as being signed is it? Thanks Ruslan :)

Red Bull signing Gasly isn't that much of a shock, I'd say he was their natural choice in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
It's actually a big change in fortune for Gasly. He had not made himself especially popular in the junior system due to interactions in the press (he told the press he was replacing Kvyat in the race seat at Monza in 2016 before it was announced so Red Bull promptly changed their mind) and that combined with the fact he went three straight seasons without a win in any series meant he was always there as a back up. But then Kvyat burnt out and Sainz became too demanding so he was in at Torro Rosso. Now Danny went and he is in at A team. It really is a victory of circumstance.

I didn't know all of that about Gasly, I knew some of it. I just thought that given how well he'd done in the Toro Rosso this year and the fact Red Bull is getting the Honda engine, which he's clearly had experience with, it made sense for them to promote him. He's a lucky boy by the sound of it, let's hope he doesn't blow it.

Izumi
The stats says says so and the only other competitor is Vettel. Maybe it is some sort of pyschological ploy to play mind games with the two new bosses at Ferrari to show their support for Vettel and make them admit he is No 1 in their team because the last few races seems to show a bit of indecisiveness in driver management which have cost Ferrari and Vettel points

Stronger PU or not, W09 seems more stable on most circuits so far this season IMO over SF71H, which could potentially explain several risky strategy moves by Ferrari pit-wall to compensate for weak spots. Not all went well every time as we know, nor I would say it was always "driver's error", as many suggest. SC and parc ferme/weather played too much of role in some races. Team lives on the edge, and I am not surprised that occasionally one oversteps that imaginary line. I must also say that Michael and his crew were somewhat better at that, altho I am not expert enough to explain how much more stable Schumacher's racer was, if at all, than what Kimi and Seb have today.

Last edited:
Izumi Well Toto says otherwise

The Ferrari seems best when the weather is hotter in managing its tyres but they did surprise everyone with their superiority at power tracks like Montreal and Silverstone

Well the rumors are that Raikonnen is staying at Ferrari and Leclerc is moving to Haas, bumping Grosjean.So.....

Revised scenario:

Pretty certain:
1. Kimi stays at Ferrari
2. Gasly to Red Bull (confirmed)
3. Sainz to McLaren (confirmed)
4. Perez stays at Force India
5. Stroll to Force India
6. Ericson stays at Sauber
7. Sirtokin stays at Williams

Available seats:
1. McLaren seat: Ocon? Norris? Vandoorne?
2. Sauber seat: Vandoorne? or Giovinazzi?
3. Haas #1 seat: Leclerc? or Grosjean?
4. Haas #2 seat: Magnussen?
5. Williams #1 seat: ???
6. Toro Rosso #1: Hartley or someone in the Red Bull system?
7. Toro Rosso #2: Ticktum?

Adrift:
1. Ocon
2. Grosjean?
3. Vandoorne?

Note that with one McLaren seat, one Sauber seat and one Williams seat still available, they could all find a home, if no one else new comes into F1. On the other hand is Norris is picked up by McLaren or Williams needs a second paying driver, then one or more of these drivers won't find a seat. I am guessing Ocon will find a seat.

Last edited:
Ruslan You missed Giovinazzi as a possible at Sauber, that seems a strong rumour too.
Right, picked it up on the edit. Still had time. Giovinazzi is, of course, connected to Ferrari. It is possible that neither Grosjean or Vandoorne can find a seat. I gather at this point Ocon's two options are McLaren or Williams.

Right, picked it up on the edit. Still had time. Giovinazzi is, of course, connected to Ferrari. It is possible that neither Grosjean or Vandoorne can find a seat. I gather at this point Ocon's two options are McLaren or Williams.

What a choice for Ocon, if I was him instead of thinking which is the best, I'd be trying to work out which is the least bad!

I'm still not convinced that McLaren is an option for him. Think they'll either go with Vandorne or Norris now they have Sainz.

Back
Top Bottom