Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

Rumours are surfacing that Carlos Sainz is going to be confirmed at Mclaren .. which potentially means they see a future built around him not Vandoorne who must perform in his last 9 races to stand a chance

If Norris wins F2 it would be hard for Mclaren not to put him in the other car but that would make it Mclaren's most inexperienced driver line up since Hamilton and Kovalainen who were at Mclaren for 2008 with an experience of 34 races

It looks like Perez might be heading to Haas, since the other seats are filling up fast. I am not so sure that he wants to continue with FI. At the end he might not have much of a choice, but as long as Haas said no, I think he will move out. There is no point to partner - play second fiddle to - team owner's son.

I do not follow Perez that closely, but impression I have of him that he is performing well with equipment to his disposal. Admittedly this picture is lacking any in-depth analysis. Put him into RB, and I think he would place better. His brief affair with McLaren could be discarded. I don't think he was treated well or fair there. For me he is one of many forever lost talents that never got the proper chance to excel (as Hamilton has).

Last edited:
Izumi - I know what you are saying and I'm being a little harsh on Checo. I get fed up with mediocre drivers, with large suitcases full of dollars, who hang around in F1 for years and years when so many talented younger guys never get a chance. Some may not like this but I'd put Hulkenberg in the same category, albeit without the cash pots. Both will do an adequate job, neither will ever win a race unless there is another Brawn moment.

Leclerc will be at Haas. Leaves Sauber for Perez I suppose but I still think he and his money will be at Williams next year.

I've said it before Perez has had his chances - Renault offered him to lead the team and he said no and now Hulkenberg and Ricciardo might be in a good place long term. Perez keeps thinking he is worth a shot at Ferrari through his connections but does not get the seat

FB
At Haas - it appeals to them to get more US following and still please Mexican backers who backed Ferrari
At Sauber - there is already Mexican sponsors on the car and under Vasseur the team has improved greatly

I agree Raikkonen needs to be ditched. Perez will not go to Williams given unless he is given assurances they will be as good as Force India.

If Perez did not have money his F1 career would not have lasted as long. Hulkenberg seems to be always the victim because he does not bring money and is far more talented and has shown he is capable of being No 1 in a team at Sauber and Renault

Ruslan

Landon Norris will almost certainly be in one of the McLaren seats. Personally, I’d move heaven and earth to jet Jenson Button back in the car, but Carlos Sainz will probably be in the other!
But where is Ocon going? You have two top proven performers in Perez and Ocon. Clearly one is going to have leave to make room for well paying Lance Stroll. So, where does that person end up? I think both of those drivers have proven themselves as good as or better than Sainz or Vandoorne.

Ocon won't go to McLaren purely because he's a Merc youth driver. Staying at FI or going to Williams now appears to be his only options.

I believe Kimi will stay at Ferrari with Leclerc going to Haas. This will free up a Sauber seat but from reading interviews etc I think Giovanazzi has already been promised this. The likelihood is that Sauber will keep Ericsson at this point so that's Sauber sorted.

Toro Rosso still has to be sorted as Gasly will be bumped up to Red Bull and they are not that pleased with Hartley. I think Toro Rosso will get either Lando Norris or Vandorne in a swap deal for James Kay(with McLaren taking the other one to partner Sainz) meaning that's one seat sorted. The other with either be Hartley or Dan Ticktum if he wins F3.

That leaves Grosjean and either Perez/Ocon (depending on which way FI go) on the market for what I believe is just a single Williams seat. I don't think Williams can afford not to keep Sirotkin at this stage. As discussed elsewhere Russell, Kubica and Rowland have to be considered for this too.

It's going to end in tears for someone.

People keep giving Kimi a job, I put him in the same category as Perez.
Ahh but Kimi is a former world champion, Perez is not, that's part of the difference.

Leclerc will be at Haas. Leaves Sauber for Perez I suppose but I still think he and his money will be at Williams next year.

I am still hoping for Lecler at Ferrari, but I guess he might have to go to Haas :rolleyes: I just can't see Perez at Sauber somehow.

And to think they said nothing much would happen with the drivers swapping seats this year!!

It would be a shame if George Russel didn't get a seat he is showing Lando Norris a thing or 2 about getting on the top step this year. 4 wins to 1 to George.

Let's remember that Russell is driving for ART who have always been a front running team whilst Lando is in the Carlin who have been patchy at beat. Still think Norris will take the title in the end.

Perez will find a seat somewhere in F1 - no team will ignore his $10-$15m sponsorship he will bring if they aint got seats left. He says he has a couple of options which usually means there are two offers for him

I think Haas and Sauber are the more likely two given Force India is managed by Stroll who want a Mercedes B Team and Williams I don;t think Sergio fancies being out of the frying pan at Force India and then into the fire at Williams

it should be said Ericsson may have backers at Sauber but it does not guarantee him a seat

If George Russell comes into F1 next season then the knock on effect will be that Valterri Bottas is unlikely to stay at Mercedes unless he is world champion given Mercedes have two ( or three) young drivers who are waiting to be promoted to the main team

Last edited:
Is there any other driver Toro Rosso could try? how about Alexander Albon - he's British and Thai and Red Bull are part Thai so maybe a good thing for commercial reasons

Hartley can only stay if Ticktum does not win F3 I feel

Back
Top Bottom