Le Mans WEC 2017

Can any one explain how qually works. I can't seem to find it on the net and the inane drivel that is the Eurosport commentary has been no help.

Is it the fastest time in any session? Is it an aggregate time? Do all of the drivers set a qually time?

It's bloody confusing. :thinking:

The slight confusion is that the tv graphics show the current session times rather than the overall grid.

Btw Toyota just wheeled out the #9 for the restart, but then wheeled it back into the garage again. Ominous?

You know when you just see how much faster a car is going. I love watching laps like that. Its not often you get to see it. The car looked like it was on rails. Superb.

I prefer the Porsche pig :)...

upload_2017-6-15_20-54-19.jpeg

Last edited:
as great as Kobayshi lap was 1 of the greats. typical i was work at 2nd qualifying session & missed a lap that i think will probally stand fof years too come. as 156.6 mph average speed is so impressive & equivalent of a 1.02 lap around montreal 1.40 - spa & 1:22.5 - monza

real feat for me is that 2017 LMP2 pole of Alex Lynn 3:25.352 is 4 tenths quicker than Audis 2011 overall pole 3:25.738 with Fassler Lotterer & Tréluyer

Galahad's crystal balls

Warning: your home may be repossessed if you actually put money on any of these predictions

LMP1: #8 Toyota Gazoo Racing (Sebastien Buemi, Anthony Davidson, Kazuki Nakajima)
I hope I'm wrong, but the signs suggest Porsche can't live with Toyota on pure pace, and in a race that's forecast to be dry throughout, that may be an insurmountable problem. Furthermore Toyota have a backup third car in case of accidents or technical problems (though the #9 drivers need to work on getting ahead of the Porsches for that strategy to make sense). I think the Porsche #1 has the strongest driver line-up I've seen at Le Mans for many years. However Toyota's #8 is consistently the fastest line-up in this team, and it would be karma after their heartbreaking near-miss last year.

LMP2: #38 Jackie Chan DC Racing (Oliver Jarvis, Ho-Pin Tung, Thomas Laurent)
This is really too close to call. We can count out the Dallaras (for not having enough downforce) and Ligiers (too much) but that still leaves at least 10 potential winners in identical ORECAs. On the basis that the speed of the third, notionally Amateur drivers in these cars usually makes the biggest impact, I'm going for the British Jota team, who had the fastest WEC car last season with G-Drive branding, and who have got a talented young rookie (Laurent) as their silver, rather than a traditional amateur. The #31 Prost-Senna Rebellion, the #26 Thiriet G-Drive/TDS car and the Manors (#24 & #25) should all be in the mix too.

GTE-Pro: #63 Corvette Racing (Jan Magnussen, Antonio Garcia, Jordan Taylor)
Only 1.2s between the first 10 in qualifying, so this will come down to drivers and racecraft. Porsche have brought a brand-new 911 this year and seem to be slightly on the back foot with it. Of the rest it's really difficult to pick a winner. Driver changes at AF Corse, including the late withdrawal of Lucas di Grassi with a football injury, won't have helped the Ferrari cause; Ford rediscovered some pace in qualifying, but without a Balance of Performance handout may struggle on race stints. So I'm going for a team and drivers who know the course and distance and should run quickly, reliably and consistently around the clock.

GTE-Am: #62 Scuderia Corsa (Townsend Bell, Bill Sweedler, Cooper MacNeil)
Again this class is open at the sharp end. The Ferrari 488 becomes eligible for the Am class for the first time this year, and of the Ferrari teams I think the all-American crew in the #62 are best placed, with a solid Pro in Bell and lots of experience in the IMSA series. Plus I always predict the Lamy/Lauda/dalla Lana Aston Martin to win this class, so maybe I can help them by not giving them the nod this time.

Back
Top Bottom