Current Valtteri Bottas

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by RasputinLives, Nov 28, 2012.

1. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    yeah unfortunately he started so well but yes Lewis on another level since the summer break but Bottas has dropped a level is underperforming. not since austria could you say he matched Hamilton

is it wrong to say that despite the stick weve given kimi. he's actually performing better than bottas. at the moments i dont see how bottas stays past 2018

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Certainly not given Ricciardo or Sainz are potentially available then someone at Mercedes also expects Ocon or Wehrlein to be promoted alongside Hamilton to show that investing in young drivers is worth it

4. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    It's truly bizarre to see how Bottas' pace has fallen off since mid-season. While he wasn't always a match for Hamilton in the races, in qualifying it was close between them for the first half of the year (taking their fastest laps in Q3, Q2 at Monaco):

HAM-BOT_2017.jpg

We understand that the Mercedes is a difficult car to set up - but is there more to it?

5. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I think it comes down to "you are number 2" being over the summer. Being told your number 2 tends to knock your confidence and send your form spiralling until you are crazy completely and utterly number 2.

6. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I think whatever James Allison and Mercedes have done to the car its benefitted Lewis much more and he's just made the gap bigger.

What is troubling Bottas is he is not a match on race day either which is something that Button could make up for. Bottas is going to start to feel like Gerhard Berger who simply has no answer to the phenomenal speed of Hamilton

7. sobriety

sobriety Pole Sitter

Was it Button who said "if Lewis ever works out how to consistently access the talent he has, the rest of us may as well go home"?

Maybe Bottas is just in the unlucky position of being Lewis's teammate when it has 'clicked'

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  8. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I think that really good F1 drivers have quite complex personalities. You can’t really say that about Bottas. Calm / passive is how he comes across.

9. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I think he comes across as Finnish!

10. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I think that everyone has a quite complex personality. The defining traits of a champion F1 driver are that they live for adrenaline and hate to lose.

Not sure Bottas hates losing as much as others.

11. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    No he’s far to laid back.

12. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I don't think Bottas is as laid back as he looks to the naked eye. He's just being stuffed at the moment.. he does get angry when it seems Raikkonen is the one that always seems to hit him

13. Rutherford

Rutherford Podium Finisher

I'm rollin' out the armchair, I wanna be a psychologist too!

14. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Whether he's laid back or not, he can't afford to be. I reckon he's already peaked in F1.

15. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Hamilton is an exceptional driver and driving at a level few could achieve I remember Senna doing this to his teammates simply because he was so fast
    Bottas is finding it tough maybe he needs to speak to Rosberg how to overcome this

16. Rutherford

Can Mercedes not hear him scream, "I want to be released!"?

Why didn't Mercedes promote Ocon or, well it has to be said, Wehrlein? I can't stand it anymore. We had some exciting battles between Rosberg and Hamilton. If Mercedes aren't challenged next season, it'll be a one man show, like 1992 when Mansell won the championship.

17. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Slight overreaction? He was fine until Spa, he just needs to rediscover that. A new car might suit him better too. Surely he didn't lose six tenths overnight.

Plus would Hamilton have done any better, in a normal race? I'm not certain he would.

18. Rutherford

Galahad
    He‘s racing for a top team and at the moment Mercedes speed is good enough on most tracks to beat Ferrari and Red Bull which means he can kind of keep up with them. However, if they‘re are equal next year then he‘d drop behind them significantly with his current form.
    His form drop is very worrying and it’s persisted for the last seven races - that’s nearly half a season!

No, he didn’t lose six tenths over night, he lost them during the four week summer break.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  19. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    A difficult situation for Bottas but he 's done a solid job and still has a chance to finish 2nd

gethinceri likes this.
  20. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Bottas had a good weekend at a track Merc Weren't great at. His quali time nearly match Hamilton.

21. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Martin Brundle summed him up, steady. Not sure if any of you saw the driver interviews but he claims changes made to the car mid-season meant he has had to change his driving style and he drew an analogy with a golfer learning a new swing.

Galahad and Bill Boddy like this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice