Current AlphaTauri (formerly Toro Rosso)

Toro Rosso

FIA Entry: Scuderia Toro Rosso
Car 18: Sebastien Buemi
Car 19: Jamie Alguersuari
Engine: Ferrari V8
Team Principa:l Franz Tost
Technical Director: Giorgi Ascanelli
Race Engineer Car 18: Riccardo Adami
Race Engineer Car 19:Andrea Landi

Stats as of end 2010

First Entered 2006
Races Entered 90
Race Wins 1
Pole Positions 1
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

The Beginning

Toro Rosso took over the Minardi entry in F1 in 2006. Minardi took part in 345 Grands Prix between 1985 and 2005 without a single win, podium, pole or fastest lap but were the starting point for double World Champion Fernando Alonso and race winners Mark Webber and Jarno Trulli.

Red Bull Takeover

At the end of 2005 current Minardi team owner Paul Stoddart sold the team to Red Bull to allow them to create a “Junior” team to bring new driver talent into F1. The Red Bull take over resulted in a change of name to Squadra Toro Rosso and then Scuderia Toro Rosso amidst much complaint from Minardi fans. For their first season in 2006 drivers Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed used the STR1 chassis, which was essentially the Red Bull RB1 car. These were fitted with rev and air flow limited 3.0 litre Ford engines to allow Toro Rosso to compete in the new 2.4 litre formula in place for 2006.

Liuzzi scored a point for the team at the US Grand Prix, a race where only 9 cars finished. The development of the new engines by the other teams put Toro Rosso in a very uncompetitive position and they tended to qualify toward the back of the grid and run in those positions in the race.

Ferrari Customer

With the senior Red Bull team moving to Renault power for 2007 Toro Rosso picked up their Ferrari engine contract. Speed and Liuzzi continued as drivers. The STR2 proved unreliable and both drivers made mistakes during the year leading to speculation that they would be replaced. Speed eventually lost his seat to BMW test driver, and Red Bull junior driver, Sebastien Vettel. In changeable weather at the Chinese Grand Prix Vettel bought his car home 4th with Liuzzi 6th.

For 2008 Vettel was joined by reigning Champ Car Series winner Sebastien Bourdais as Liuzzi moved to Force India. Bourdais finished 7th at the opening race of the season in Australia and Vettel then took 4th in Monaco. As the season progressed Vettel in particular was a regular points scorer and in wet qualifying at the Italian Grand Prix put his car on pole. The rain continued into race day and Vettel went on to win the race becoming the youngest ever Grand Prix victor. More points finishes for Vettel in the final races of the season put Toro Rosso 6th in the Constructors Championship and earned him a place in the Red Bull senior team for 2009.

Sebastien Buemi joined Bourdais for 2009 and after the highs of 2008 the team came back down to earth in ’09. Bourdais was dismissed mid season due to poor race results and Jaime Alguersuari took his seat for the remainder of the season. The drivers managed a few low points finished but the team dropped to 10th in the Constructors Championship.

Buemi and Alguersuari continued for 2010 and again picked up some minor points placing’s, helped by the revised points scoring system for the season. The team finished 9th in the Constructors Championship but were the lowest placed of the established F1 teams.

Toro Rosso continue with the same driver line up in 2011 and, with the STR6 car and Ferrari engines, hope they can move further up the grid.

Ok so I know you shouldn't take too much from practice however......

In today's P1 session Vergne was in the Toro Rosso and in only his second time in and F1 and on his first time at Yas Marina set a time that was only 3 tenths slower than Alguersauri. Ricciardo however - after over half a season in F1 and finally at a track he's driven before - found himself 2 tenths slower than Liuzzi

1-0 to the Frenchmen I think. Will be interesting to see how the compare when they go head to head in the main Red Bull car at the young drivers test. Thats when the bid for the Toro Rosso seat really hots up.

Of course the argument is still there to keep both Buemi and Alguersauri - however I get the feeling they won't

Ok so I know you shouldn't take too much from practice however......

In today's P1 session Vergne was in the Toro Rosso and in only his second time in and F1 and on his first time at Yas Marina set a time that was only 3 tenths slower than Alguersauri. Ricciardo however - after over half a season in F1 and finally at a track he's driven before - found himself 2 tenths slower than Liuzzi

And Buemi was more than 6 tenths faster than Alguersuari in second practice :D
:p

So Riccardio strikes back and whoops Liuzzi's ass in Quali - must put him back as fave for that Toro Rosso seat.

Meanwhile Buemi shows he ain't sunk yet by out qualifying Alguersauri(all by it by a tennth)!

Anyone think the fight for a place at the Toro Rosso team is more exciting than this years Championship race? this weekend they've had four drivers in their car an not one of them has failed to impress me! would not like to have to make the decision.

Anyone think the fight for a place at the Toro Rosso team is more exciting than this years Championship race? this weekend they've had four drivers in their car an not one of them has failed to impress me! would not like to have to make the decision.

That's the main battle that I have been watching along with the Mercedes one since everything else is a bit :bored:

Poor old Buemi - he was a country mile in front of Alguersauri before having suspension failure. I think he'd have been on for a few points too. Jamie looked awful today!

Riccardio would have beat Liuzzi today by about 20 seconds if he'd finished so have to say he took his oppotunity too.

On today's results you'd have said Buemi/Riccardio would be who you want next season but if you think how good Alguersauri has been recently and take into account that I think Vergne's performance in P1 was something special I just don't know!

Maybe we should have a poll on it

Poor old Buemi - he was a country mile in front of Alguersauri before having suspension failure. I think he'd have been on for a few points too. Jamie looked awful today!

Jaime's first pitstop came very early (lap 15) and he dropped right to the back, then had to fight his way past the HRTs, Virgins etc.. When Buemi retired, he still hadn't made his first stop yet, hence the big gap. Before Alguersuari had pitted, Buemi's lead over him was only 2.7s.

Riccardio would have beat Liuzzi today by about 20 seconds if he'd finished so have to say he took his oppotunity too.

On today's results you'd have said Buemi/Riccardio would be who you want next season but if you think how good Alguersauri has been recently and take into account that I think Vergne's performance in P1 was something special I just don't know!

Maybe we should have a poll on it

That's the third time in the past few races where he's been in the points comfortably and twice ahead of Alguersuari comfortably and the car let's him down :disappointed:

He was also taken out in Spa when running well, but so was Alguersuari not sure how his race would have went.

His sad face when he took his helmet off told it all, feel sorry for the guy, he certainly deserves to have a seat for next season.

These two guys are really young, think Toro Rosso should sign them both for 2 years, they certainly have potential and will definitely grow and mature as drivers, Buemi the oldest of the two is only 23.

Red Bull have so many drivers though around similar ages, just don't think it's fair on any of them.

Says in this article http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96560 about Ricciardo maybe going to Caternham that its looking increasingly likely that Toro Rosso will retain the same line up for next year with Vergne as a tester.

Good news for the Moose and the Squire then - although I wonder if this Ricciardo to Caternham thing is a deal breaker. I'm sure Mr Fernadez will be getting some nice juicy Red Bull technology out of that one.

Says in this article http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96560 about Ricciardo maybe going to Caternham that its looking increasingly likely that Toro Rosso will retain the same line up for next year with Vergne as a tester.

Good news for the Moose and the Squire then - although I wonder if this Ricciardo to Caternham thing is a deal breaker. I'm sure Mr Fernadez will be getting some nice juicy Red Bull technology out of that one.

:D

They two really do deserve a seat! I think having those two have helped Toro Rosso grow as a team, as you can see each year their (Toro Rosso and the drivers) performances improve year by year, having the driver line-up stable certainly does help.

Hope they both stay.

Nuts. It's completely nuts.

I have no respect for anything Red Bull does, I really don't. I honestly hope both drivers are awful next year.

Wow just when I thought it was going the other way.

Although its sad to see drivers who've had as good a season as the Moose and the Squire dropped I can't say I'm not excited to see what Ricciardo and Vergne can do. Especially Vergne who seems to have been very fast tracked into the car almost Sebastian Vettel style.

I can see Alguersauri turning up at HRT with all the bluster about them being an all Spanish team etc etc but I think sadly the Moose is gonna struggle. You have to say after that decision Williams will be taking a second look at the market with those two up for grabs.

I was surprised, and rather excited to see this announcement. I love seeing new blood come into the fold. If JEV can produce the goods then that will speak very highly for the Renault World Series.

I hope that Trulli retires to his wine vineyards, and that Caterham give Alguersuari a serious look. Jamie I believe could give Kovalainen a good run for his money.

I have no respect for anything Red Bull does, I really don't. I honestly hope both drivers are awful next year.

I totally agree with your basic feelings regarding Toro Rosa , except for the part for the drivers having an awfyl year.

I think the biggest problem for Alguersuari and Buemi was that they were so close this season. I always felt it was likely to be a question of keeping both, or neither.

Red Bull are looking for excellence. I don't know whether Jaime or Sebastien are potential champions, but evidently Marko doesn't, and he's better placed to judge than me.

Didn't see this coming, and it seems harsh on Alg/Bue who haven't done badly.

But this isn't really a decision about Toro Rosso, it's about Red Bull having a chance to view their other drivers, likely with an eye on replacing Webber in 2013. From this perspective, it makes sense, as I couldn't see either Alg/Bue warranting a drive with the senior team

Its not Red Bull its Helmut Marko he's been wanting to kick Webber out of the Red Bull and replace with one of the young chargers

Its Helmut who is in charge of the Red Bull young drivers programme. Mind you Webber will be hoping that Ricciardo gets his job if he is going to make way being a fellow Aussie

Back
Top Bottom