Television Top Gear

Discussion in 'Apex Lounge' started by cider_and_toast, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

Precisely..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Hamberg

Hamberg FOTA VIP, I've got the avatar to prove it :) Contributor

Publicity stunt?

It's nearly 95k at the time of writing! I've never seen a petition on change.org grow this quickly.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    rufus_mcdufus and Mephistopheles like this.
  4. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Not a publicity stunt but there's no such thing as bad press.

I just wouldn't worry too much about Clarkson getting the boot. Top Gear makes so much money for BBC worldwide it's too valuable to drop.

Mephistopheles likes this.
  5. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

It's more likely that the producer he had spat with will get the boot than Clarkson..

6. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31828184

Happy days.

7. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

So chances of the LafFerrari / Porsche 918 / McLaren P1 showdown are looking even slimmer :(

I notice in that BBC story they repeat the assertion that Clarkson used the 'n' word on the broadcast footage when he quite clearly obscured it.

8. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Approaching 250,000 signatures now. LOL

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

9. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Surprised the people who watch it are able to operate a keyboard and mouse to be able to vote.

10. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Blimey Mr B, anyone would think Top Gear was a costume drama given your dislike.

Jen, Hamberg and cider_and_toast like this.
  11. Kewee

Kewee Race Winner

Top Gear used to be such an entertaining show, full of very clever humour and genuinely very funny. Sadly it began to pass its use by date a couple of seasons back when so much of it ceased to be automotive. Clarkson's arrogance and conceit has ruined the show for everyone concerned with its production, including James May and Richard Hammond. Though both will continue to be employed on other shows, I doubt whether the same will apply for Jeremy Clarkson. Someone needs to point out to him that humour aimed at different nationalities and ethnic groups is not very funny for those it targets when they are unable to respond.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Dash Racing and Slyboogy like this.
  12. Road of Bones

Road of Bones MTC Mole Premium Contributor

Look - I can find Clarkson to be immensely irritating and self-serving on occasion, but he also makes me laugh frequently. It is for this ability I find him to be a TV treasure - otherwise we will end up with Ant & Dec, or Clare Balding, or somebody equally PC, bland & dreary presenting every damned thing on our TVs. There aren't enough decent characters anymore, and there is room on our screens for a boorish oaf acting like a tit for an hour or so on a Sunday.

The BBC seems pathetically eager not to offend, or test boundaries anymore. It's really rather depressing to see...

13. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Decent character?

He's a twat who should have grown up several decades ago.

Dash Racing likes this.
  14. Road of Bones

I meant "decent" as in "interesting"...

15. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    I guess I'm just different to most other people when it comes to spending my very limited "off" time watching TV.

I can't think of a single program I watch on the BBC, or ITV - it's just banal dross for the most part.

Perhaps Clarkson can stand in for Cameron in the upcoming debates?

16. Road of Bones

I might watch them, if he did! :snigger:

17. Kewee

Kewee Race Winner

Road of Bones ..... I agree with all you say including the boorish oaf comment, my major issue is humour ceases to be funny when it's at others expense who are unwittingly used to be a part of the joke. To be honest the intelligent very funny moments come from James May in particular and Richard Hammond. Top gear could replace Clarkson retain May and Hammond and the show could continue. You can be sure of one thing Clarkson couldn't carry the show without Hammond and May, It would be a hell of a wake up call if he realised that.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Dash Racing likes this.
  18. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Well I enjoy it, even the non-politically correct bits.

19. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
  20. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Well as one of the brain dead fans who watch Top Gear, I shall be sorry if the show is axed, or worse, made politically correct with a new set of presenters being boring and technical over the workings of electric cars.

Hamberg and rufus_mcdufus like this.
  21. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Each to their own. I still think Clarkson's one off show on VC winners was a fantastic bit of TV and fully deserved its own series.

Jen and rufus_mcdufus like this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice